Contribute
Register

[Solved] Why doesn't recovery boot option work in Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elite Desk 800 G4 SFF - Q370
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
WX 4100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Recently, I installed High Sierra but unfortunately I had to downgrade back to Sierra due to numerous performance issues. But one thing I liked is the Clover version in High Sierra. It has a working recovery option into which I can boot and restore my Mac partition from the TimeMachine backup. I'm taking backups in Sierra but the recovery option present at the boot menu don't work. So in Sierra taking Time Machine backups may not be useful when my machine is not bootable.

Is there anyone able to make the recovery boot option to work in Sierra? If yes, please share your suggestion on how to get it working.

Last edited:
Is there anyone able to make the recovery boot option to work in Sierra? If yes, please share your suggestion on how to get it working.
In order to boot into the recovery partition you must put FakeSMC.kext into your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on your EFI partition.

In order to boot into the recovery partition you must put FakeSMC.kext into your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder on your EFI partition.

I have FakeSMC.kext in /LIbrary/Extensions, is there any problem if I put another copy of this kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other folder?

I have FakeSMC.kext in /Library/Extensions, is there any problem if I put another copy of this kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kext/Other folder?
You must have FakeSMC.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to use the Recovery partition as it does not access the one in /Library/Extensions.
If your backup disk is accessed through a network then you must have your Ethernet (or Wireless) kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other too for the same reason.

Last edited:
You must have FakeSMC.kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to use the Recovery partition as it does not access the one in /LIbrary/Extensions.
If your backup disk is accessed through a network then you must have your Ethernet kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other too for the same reason.

Thank you @BreBo And @P1LGRIM

Found another thread with little bit more information about kext injection in case anyone stumble on this thread.

Last edited:
Thank you @BreBo And @P1LGRIM

Found another thread with little bit more information about kext injection in case anyone stumble on this thread.
That is good information but irrelevant where the Recovery partition is concerned.
Recovery does not access kexts in /Library/Extensions so in order to boot the FakeSMC.kext has to be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

That is good information but irrelevant where the Recovery partition is concerned.
Recovery does not access kexts in /Library/Extensions so in order to boot the FakeSMC.kext has to be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Ahh, got your point. I'll edit my post.

I tried the suggestion but it didn't work. At the end of boot recovery I'm greeted with following screen.

mac-prohibit-symbol-screen-icon.png

Code:
EFI ls -l /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
total 1
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 bufferOverflow  staff  512 Oct 17 07:52 FakeSMC.kext

I downloaded this FakeSMC from tonymacx86.com

Last edited:
I tried the suggestion but it didn't work. At the end of boot recovery I'm greeted with following screen.

mac-prohibit-symbol-screen-icon.png
You must boot in verbose mode to see why.

All kexts that are essential to the boot process should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
If your boot process relies on kexts located in /Library/Extensions then they must also be included in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

You must boot in verbose mode to see why.

All kexts that are essential to the boot process should be in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.
If your boot process relies on kexts located in /Library/Extensions then they must also be included in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other.

@P1LGRIM Thank you sir

I'm so happy to see recovery to work first time in Sierra in 1year of using Hackintosh :)

I ended up copying following minimal set of kexts.

Code:
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 user  staff  512 Oct 17 07:52 FakeSMC.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 user  staff  512 Jan 31 23:31 HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext
drwxrwxrwx  1 user  staff  512 Jul 20  2017 IntelMausiEthernet.kext
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 user  staff  512 Jul 16  2017 NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Attachments

• HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_6.kext.zip
    91.2 KB · Views: 80
  • FakeSMC.kext.zip
    34.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IntelMausiEthernet.kext.zip
    53.5 KB · Views: 81