i7-7700HQ / HM175
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti + HD 630 (1920x1080)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Dear community,

I am experiencing the following behaviour on my Dell 7577 running High Sierra:

with the power cord disconnected:
if I put the laptop to sleep and wake it shortly after the keyboard backlight turns off (fans still spinning) the computer wakes normally: display turning on.

with the power cord connected:
same scenario, laptop apparently wakes, but the display stays off and I need to reset the machine.

Note: I can fix this problem by installing the following kext:
https://github.com/syscl/IOPowerManagement
However, the next issue persist even with IOPowerDeploy.kext installed:

with the power cord disconnected or connected:
if I wait until the fans shut down and wake it, the display will turn on, sometimes the cursor will work, but the computer is completely frozen: cannot open anything, if I click on something I get a spinning rainbow-wheel.

I assumed these problems to be related to my power management setup and followed RehabMan's great guide on this topic:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-native-power-management-for-laptops.175801/

according to the checklist provided there I ensured that:

- config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPm=true (Haswell+)
- config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KernelLapic=true (for those with Local APIC panic)

and

- no rollbacks of AppleACPIPlatform.kext
- no NullCPUPowerManagement.kext (usually implies patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement)
- Processor objects declared in Scope (_SB) or Scope (_PR) in DSDT (pretty rare not to have them in OEM DSDT)
- Verify that the generated SSDT injects into the same scope as Processor declarations in DSDT (usually _PR)

As for the SMBIOS, I am currently using MacbookAir6,2 as it gives me working USB ports out of the box.
SMBIOS = MacbookPro14,1 has the same issues but with the additional problem of not enabling any USB ports.
SMBIOS = MacbookPro14,3 which uses the same CPU as my laptop (7700hq) causes an instant reboot when I start the machine and try to boot High Sierra.

I have disabled hibernation and set config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true.

Thank you to everybody who will join in this thread. Your help is highly appreciated!

Attachments

• debug_28834.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 80
Dear RehabMan,
(sorry to disturb you again)

I applied the USB _PRW 0x6D patch and the "short"/display sleep problem described in my first point disappeared. However, waiting for the machine to completely sleep and waking it results in the same issue.

I thereafter applied all the "commonly needed" patches from your guide (except for OS Check Fix) but the computer still keeps freezing.

Attachments

• debug_31260.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 71
Dear RehabMan,
(sorry to disturb you again)

I applied the USB _PRW 0x6D patch and the "short"/display sleep problem described in my first point disappeared. However, waiting for the machine to completely sleep and waking it results in the same issue.

I thereafter applied all the "commonly needed" patches from your guide (except for OS Check Fix) but the computer still keeps freezing.

Make sure you use the Skylake _PRW patch.
And why would you omit the "OS Check Fix" patch? It is one of the most important.

Dear RehabMan,

I will do that. Do I need to remove the non-Skylake _PRW patch first?

Note: The OS Check Fix patch you use has nothing to do with the version of Windows the laptop came with, nor with the version of Windows you're currently using.

I am really sorry to say that, but I omitted it because I did not know which one to use.
Please forgive my inexperience.

I will do that. Do I need to remove the non-Skylake _PRW patch first?

No way to "remove" patches. You must start over with native DSDT, re-apply correct patches.

I am really sorry to say that, but I omitted it because I did not know which one to use.

Process of trial/error.

I have applied all patches accordingly and subsequently tried all possible Os Check Fix patches (the last one being Windows 7). Unfortunately the situation has not changed.

Thank you for your continuous support!

Attachments

• debug_12742.zip
    3.8 MB · Views: 84
I adapted my drivers to match those in the guide. Thank you very much for pointing this out to me!

Still no change:

with the power cord plugged in:
if I try to wake my system after some time, nothing reacts (fans keep moving, keyboard is lit but screen does not turn on)

with the power cord unplugged:
waking my system after some time makes the fans, display and keyboard turn on. Shortly thereafter everything freezes.

Attachments

• debug_14343.zip
    3.3 MB · Views: 74
I adapted my drivers to match those in the guide. Thank you very much for pointing this out to me!

Still no change:

with the power cord plugged in:
if I try to wake my system after some time, nothing reacts (fans keep moving, keyboard is lit but screen does not turn on)

with the power cord unplugged:
waking my system after some time makes the fans, display and keyboard turn on. Shortly thereafter everything freezes.

What do you mean by "wake my system after some time"?
Did your laptop actually enter sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back