Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Ventura/Sonoma - Random (Scheduled PM) Wake from Sleep

@Lensjocky,

Yes please post on how you get on with it, would be good to get some 3rd party testing on the new method and confirmation on how well it works. So far for me it's working very well.

It may be necessary to reflag the file after a MacOS update so thats another thing to keep an eye on.

Cheers
Jay
Jay,

I going to call your fix a 100% success! I have not had a single unwanted wake from sleep in the 5 days/ 4 nights since I implemented your tweaks.

Happy Holidays!

John

I going to call your fix a 100% success! I have not had a single unwanted wake from sleep in the 5 days/ 4 nights since I implemented your tweaks.

Thanks for the update John, thats great news, same with my system.
I've also had a few other users confirm that it's worked for them so will flag the thread as SOLVED.

Cheers
Jay

Thank you for this; I've implemented the fix.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't more reports of unexpected wake-from-sleep following a Ventura install.

@Sennen,

I suspect that many users are simply not yet aware of the issue as they haven't yet noticed the scheduled PM wakes.
Hopefully this thread should gain more traction as people become aware of the issue.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Jay,

Sadly I've had unwanted wake ups in the middle of the night for the past 2 nights. No time to troubleshoot right now, but I'll circle back later and take a look.

Best,

John
Alright, my daughter's cat was caught last night messing around on my desk behind my sleeping back. I believe the issue of Ventura's random wakes has been solved again... Sorry for the drama.

Alright, my daughter's cat was caught last night messing around on my desk behind my sleeping back. I believe the issue of Ventura's random wakes has been solved again... Sorry for the drama.

Yes I've experienced this myself, alarmed on two or three occasions that the system in the lounge was waking up while I was watching TV only to find that the cat had got the urge to jump up on the desk and pound the keys.

If only the initial problem was that simple ... LOL

Cheers
Jay

Thanks @jaymonkey, it solved it for me :clap:
I had already tried everything, until I found your very simple solution.

The method eliminates alarms for me, but there is one more script for my computer to completely prevent random wakes: sudo pmset ttyskeepawake 0 I could presume wakes from ttyskeepawake 1 were triggered when I was using my iPad or iPhone.

I don’t think Apple will seriously address this ‘issue’ as the transition to Apple silicon is almost done. The fan on those newer Macs runs so quietly that the short-period wakes don’t really bother users at all, in contrast to x86 PCs which fans always run at the full speed (and possibly over 60 dB) for 2 seconds upon booting or waking. Moreover, Power Nap is always enabled for Apple silicon Macs.

The method eliminates alarms for me, but there is one more script for my computer to completely prevent random wakes: sudo pmset ttyskeepawake 0 I could presume wakes from ttyskeepawake 1 were triggered when I was using my iPad or iPhone.

@Bustycat,

Good to know the method worked for you.

Yes, if the ttyskeepawake power management parameter is set to 1 (default) then MacOS will not sleep if there is an active connection open to anther Apple device. I did not include it in my guide as this is a 'built-in' feature of MacOS and is already well documented.

I don’t think Apple will seriously address this ‘issue’ as the transition to Apple silicon is almost done. The fan on those newer Macs runs so quietly that the short-period wakes don’t really bother users at all, in contrast to x86 PCs which fans always run at the full speed (and possibly over 60 dB) for 2 seconds upon booting or waking. Moreover, Power Nap is always enabled for Apple silicon Macs.

I also suspect that this will be case, Apple's focus is now purely on Apple Silicon with regards to MacOS so I doubt they will bother to address the slowly diminishing crowd of Intel based Mac users.

Cheers
Jay

Back