Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Ventura/Sonoma - Random (Scheduled PM) Wake from Sleep

Same process should be used with the wired keyboard and Bluetooth mouse, assuming the BT dongle is plugged in to an external USB port and not via an internal motherboard header.

Same process should be used with the wired keyboard and Bluetooth mouse, assuming the BT dongle is plugged in to an external USB port and not via an internal motherboard header.
I have unplugged everything apart from the keyboard and the BT dongle which is a Asus BT400. Will see how it goes and then next remove the dongle if the machine turns on by itself.

Thank you

OK, your Asus BT-400 is supported with Acidanthera's BrcmPatchRam3, BrcmFirmwareData.kext and BlueToolFixup.kext in Ventura. You shouldn't be using the BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, as that lost support when a number of Bluetooth stack changes were implemented by Apple in Monterey.

The Asus BT 400 dongle has the following Ven/Dev ID [0b05:17cb] and uses the BCM20702 chipset. So as long as the USB port is set with the correct Connector Type in your USBPorts.kext, it and your mouse should work just fine.

Hi @Edhawk

So I left the keyboard and Mouse connected via BT and all other USB items disconnected, and there have been two wake events in the log but as was not near the machine I am not sure if someone moved the mouse and the machine came on, or it was an auto wake.

I will try and switch off the BT mouse and see what happens.

In terms of kext for my Asus BT I only have BlueToolFixup.kext and it works fine, so not sure if I need BrcmPatchRam3 and/or BrcmFirmwareData.kext.

And in terms of the USB port I believe it shows correctly as USB2.

I have attached some screenshots, do they look correct or do I need the other kext added.

Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 11.23.21.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 11.23.21.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 11.21.53.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 11.21.53.png
    118.8 KB · Views: 39
The Hackintool > USB window looks very wrong to me.
  1. It is missing the physical USB3 ports SS01 - SS06.
  2. You only have the virtual USB2 ports from the physical USB3 ports and 4 x ports set as physical USB2 in your USB configuration.
  3. So you are either setting the Internal USB2 header ports incorrectly or totally ignoring any internal motherboard header ports.
You don’t need XHCI-unsupported.kext, as the 0xA2AF USB device is supported in macOS.

I would add the two missing Broadcom Bluetooth kexts, just to make sure all Bluetooth functionality is available.

The Hackintool > USB window looks very wrong to me.
  1. It is missing the physical USB3 ports SS01 - SS06.
  2. You only have the virtual USB2 ports from the physical USB3 ports and 4 x ports set as physical USB2 in your USB configuration.
  3. So you are either setting the Internal USB2 header ports incorrectly or totally ignoring any internal motherboard header ports.
You don’t need XHCI-unsupported.kext, as the 0xA2AF USB device is supported in macOS.

I would add the two missing Broadcom Bluetooth kexts, just to make sure all Bluetooth functionality is available.
Thank you, will have a look at making the changes for the kexts.

With regards to USB, I do not have anything connected to the usb connection on the motherboard, need to do some more reading.

I am assuming your Dell OptiPlex 5050 is a SFF model, as you have installed a low profile RX560 dGPU.

The Dell OptiPlex 5050 will contain the following USB ports.
  • 6 x 3.1 Gen 1 (2 Type-A front/4 Type-A rear) and
  • 4 x 2.0 (2 Type-A front/2 Type A rear - 1 front with PowerShare);
  • 1 x Internal USB 2.0 header (5-pin header)
The screenshots below show the location, number and type of USB ports present in your Dell 5050 SFF system.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 20.23.43.png Front & Rear ports

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 20.25.23.png Internal port for BT (looks like single port connector)

This mean your system has a maximum of 17 USB ports.

They are made up as follows:
  • 6 x USB3 physical ports, (Blue tang) should be set with connector type USB3 (3)
  • 6 x USB2 virtual ports, (Blue tang) should be set with connector type USB3 (3) as they are served from the USB physical ports.
  • 4 x USB2 physical ports (black tang), should be set with connector type USB2 (0).
  • 1 x USB2 internal header port on motherboard, should be set with connector type Internal (255).
This means you only need to drop 2 x ports from the total 17 ports available to remain within the 15 x USB Port Limit imposed by Apple.

If you are not using the Internal header port, as you appear to be using and external USB BT dongle, you only need to find one more port to drop.

When undertaking the USB port discovery phase it is much easier to do this when running macOS Catalina. As the XhciPortLimit quirk works in Catalina, but doesn't work in Big Sur 11.3 or newer (including Monterey and Ventura). Using the XhciPortLimit quirk would allow your system to display all 17 ports in Hackintool, on the USB tab.

Obviously you would need to remove your current USBPorts.kext and add USBInjectAll.kext to have all the Skylake USB ports display correctly in Hackintool.

Having the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled would allow you to discover each port, you would need to test each port with a USB2 pen device and then a USB3 pen device. As each port is 'discovered' the port will be highlighted with a Green coloured line in the Hackintool USB tab/window. I use the comments column to describe each port as it is discovered, as shown in the screenshot below from my Coffee Lake system. This lessens the chance of making a mistake when setting each port's connector type. It also makes it easier for someone else to spot any issues.

Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 20.59.19.png Hackintool > USB tab from CFL system

Ignore the PXSX Fresco Logic USB Controller, ports from this PCIe x1 card don't show in Hackintool.

I would recommend using a spare HDD or SSD to install Catalina 10.15.7 on your system. You would need to make the following edits to your OC EFI to install Catalina.
  • Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit change from False/Disabled to True/Enabled
  • UEFI > APFS > MinDate change from '0' or '-1' to 20200306
  • UEFI > APFS > MinVersion change from '0' or '-1' to 1412101001000000
BlueToolFixup.kext doesn't work in Catalina, so you would need to add the 20.0.0 to the MinKernel entry for this kext if you retain it in your OC setup. So it is not used in a macOS release prior to Big Sur.

You might need to add these three Broadcom kexts to your setup for your Bluetooth USB dongle to work.
  1. BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
  2. BrcmBluetoothFirmwareData.kext
  3. BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext should be set with MaxKernel entry of 19.99.99, so it is not injected in a macOS release newer than Catalina.

The rest of your OC setup should be fine regards installing macOS Catalina.

Hope this helps.

I am assuming your Dell OptiPlex 5050 is a SFF model, as you have installed a low profile RX560 dGPU.

The Dell OptiPlex 5050 will contain the following USB ports.
  • 6 x 3.1 Gen 1 (2 Type-A front/4 Type-A rear) and
  • 4 x 2.0 (2 Type-A front/2 Type A rear - 1 front with PowerShare);
  • 1 x Internal USB 2.0 header (5-pin header)
The screenshots below show the location, number and type of USB ports present in your Dell 5050 SFF system.

View attachment 565286 Front & Rear ports

View attachment 565287 Internal port for BT (looks like single port connector)

This mean your system has a maximum of 17 USB ports.

They are made up as follows:
  • 6 x USB3 physical ports, (Blue tang) should be set with connector type USB3 (3)
  • 6 x USB2 virtual ports, (Blue tang) should be set with connector type USB3 (3) as they are served from the USB physical ports.
  • 4 x USB2 physical ports (black tang), should be set with connector type USB2 (0).
  • 1 x USB2 internal header port on motherboard, should be set with connector type Internal (255).
This means you only need to drop 2 x ports from the total 17 ports available to remain within the 15 x USB Port Limit imposed by Apple.

If you are not using the Internal header port, as you appear to be using and external USB BT dongle, you only need to find one more port to drop.

When undertaking the USB port discovery phase it is much easier to do this when running macOS Catalina. As the XhciPortLimit quirk works in Catalina, but doesn't work in Big Sur 11.3 or newer (including Monterey and Ventura). Using the XhciPortLimit quirk would allow your system to display all 17 ports in Hackintool, on the USB tab.

Obviously you would need to remove your current USBPorts.kext and add USBInjectAll.kext to have all the Skylake USB ports display correctly in Hackintool.

Having the XhciPortLimit quirk enabled would allow you to discover each port, you would need to test each port with a USB2 pen device and then a USB3 pen device. As each port is 'discovered' the port will be highlighted with a Green coloured line in the Hackintool USB tab/window. I use the comments column to describe each port as it is discovered, as shown in the screenshot below from my Coffee Lake system. This lessens the chance of making a mistake when setting each port's connector type. It also makes it easier for someone else to spot any issues.

View attachment 565288 Hackintool > USB tab from CFL system

Ignore the PXSX Fresco Logic USB Controller, ports from this PCIe x1 card don't show in Hackintool.

I would recommend using a spare HDD or SSD to install Catalina 10.15.7 on your system. You would need to make the following edits to your OC EFI to install Catalina.
  • Kernel > Quirks > XhciPortLimit change from False/Disabled to True/Enabled
  • UEFI > APFS > MinDate change from '0' or '-1' to 20200306
  • UEFI > APFS > MinVersion change from '0' or '-1' to 1412101001000000
BlueToolFixup.kext doesn't work in Catalina, so you would need to add the 20.0.0 to the MinKernel entry for this kext if you retain it in your OC setup. So it is not used in a macOS release prior to Big Sur.

You might need to add these three Broadcom kexts to your setup for your Bluetooth USB dongle to work.
  1. BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
  2. BrcmBluetoothFirmwareData.kext
  3. BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext should be set with MaxKernel entry of 19.99.99, so it is not injected in a macOS release newer than Catalina.

The rest of your OC setup should be fine regards installing macOS Catalina.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for the detailed information.

I have updated the BT kexts, and will have a proper read of the above and see what I can do with the usb mapping.

I have a mini tower, on which the usb ports are the same as you have shown above, so the above should be fine. Need to see if I have a backup of Catalina on one of the drives and start from there.

Thank you

The mini Tower has a dual USB connector, so there would be two USB2 ports available from the internal header.

Again if you are not using the header it can be ignored and you are still only looking at having to drop one port to stay within the 15 port limit.

Update, added the BT kexts and updated the USBkext (sorry I did not create one but used one I found online for the same machine ) and machine does not seem to wake half way through the night.

@Edhawk, thank you for the pointer as always and the continued help. It is very much appreciated.
The mini Tower has a dual USB connector, so there would be two USB2 ports available from the internal header.

Again if you are not using the header it can be ignored and you are still only looking at having to drop one port to stay within the 15 port limit.

Back