Graphics
XFX Radeon HD 6870 2GB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Not sure if anyone else encountered this issue after upgrading to ML, but kept getting a "Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012" when playing a DVD or Blu-Ray disc on drives previously working in Lion.

To fix this error, run the following commands in Terminal:

Step 1 - Create a backup of DVDPlayback.framework

sudo cp /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback.bak

Step 2 - Patch DVDPlayback

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x49\x6E\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|\x45\x78\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|g' /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback

Now playback, eject, and auto sleep should be working again. If these steps don't work, try copying the DVDPlayback.framework from a working Lion installation, then run the commands. Good luck!

Tried your steps to solve "Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012" problem, but when I'm done with terminal it now says "DVD Player cannot be opened because of a problem." I'm getting the error by using ML DVD Player and I can see the dvd title in Finder which I can eject from there.

Any ideas what causing this?

Attached is a copy of the DVDPlayback.framework from a working virtual copy of Lion.

Move your current version of DVDPlayback.framework to the Desktop and extract the attached version in: /System/Library/Frameworks.
Run the commands again, hopefully that should do the trick.

Also included a patched version that you can try.
Personally skipped patching the Mountain Lion framework, patched the attached one instead to fix the error.

Let me know what you find.

Attachments

• DVDPlayback.framework.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 10,258
  • DVDPlayback.framework(patched).zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 12,672
Attached is a copy of the DVDPlayback.framework from a working virtual copy of Lion.

Move your current version of DVDPlayback.framework to the Desktop and extract the attached version in: /System/Library/Frameworks.
Run the commands again, hopefully that should do the trick.

Also included a patched version that you can try.
Personally skipped patching the Mountain Lion framework, patched the attached one instead to fix the error.

Let me know what you find.

Yes, Yes! It works :). Thank You.

I just used DVDPlayback.framework(patched).zip and replaced the folder in /System/Library/Frameworks. Again, thank you very much that was a lot of help.

Yes, Yes! It works :). Thank You.

I just used DVDPlayback.framework(patched).zip and replaced the folder in /System/Library/Frameworks. Again, thank you very much that was a lot of help.

Glad this worked for you too!

This issue is not well documented, had to merge different fixes to get this finally resolved.
Have seen other solutions that include editing DSDT files or reinstalling the AHCI injector, but either can cause other things to break.

Hopefully this continues to helps others that are experiencing this same issue.
See you around!

Found the same '70012' error on my newly installed ML but as sprak74 I used the DVDPlayback.framework(patched).zip with success on my evga x58 e758 board. Problem solved instantly - thanks a lot 8^)

I tried both files and still not working. Ran perl script on Lion and ML DVD frameworks without success on Gigabyte Z68 board. Get this error in the crash report after using the patched file "terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[__NSCFString bytes]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7a4525e0' "

Anyone have any other solutions or ideas. It worked fine in Lion

I stand corrected. It doesnt work in Lion. I just tried it on my original Lion build. Last time it worked was Snow Leopard. So now its a bigger problem. I did change video cards. Could that be the problem. HDD is in port 0 and DVD is in port 1.

This one work for me as well

Confirmed! DVDPlayback.framework(patched).zip is working fine on my asrock x79/3930k with an el-cheepo, no-name dvd drive.
Thanks for this! Good to know my $12 won't be wasted! :)

Glad to see this fix is helping others as well!

@LSP, other than making sure that your BIOS settings are set correctly, tough to say what your actual problem is.

Hopefully you're able to figure it out soon. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back