Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012 - Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yosemite 10.10.4 confirmed

Thank you MarioSantana!

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum! ;)

I tryied to use the patched version and change from internal-external various time but nothing worked for me!

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5...

Does anybody propose something else?

Thank you in advance for your response. I really need to burn dvd's for some of my clients....

Does anybody propose something else?

After about a day of search and test, I have to figure out that my DVD player is... broken! :lol:

I just swaped the player with an old one and everything is ok now! :clap: :banghead:

At least I learned a bit....

Hello... Newbie here... Sorry for adding to this post... Some help would be great...

I replaced the superdrive with an SSD in my early 2011 MBP. I've gone to El Capitan(!).

I have the superdrive working externally now. It reads and writes perfectly but whenever I try to load the DVD player now I get the 70012 Error message...

I tried a fix that suggested editing the DVDPlayback file in System/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A replacing references of internal to external. Not being able to 'Repair Permissions' in El Capitan, this didn't work for me...

Could anyone suggest what to try next please?

Hello all,

The DVD Drive Switcher applescript app is the easiest way to fix this. However most links on the web appear to be dead except for here, therefor I've reattached it just in case. Perhaps the OP could update their original post to help users of more current systems so they don't have to dig through 12 pages.

FOR OS X 10.11 EL CAPITAN USERS:
Please note for all others on El Capitan and later, in order for any of these solutions to work for you you must first temporarily disable System Integrity Protection which prevents modification of the following system folders (even with sudo/root access):
Code:
[COLOR=#303030][FONT=monospace]/System[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#303030][FONT=monospace]/sbin[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#303030][FONT=monospace]/usr (with the exception of /usr/local subdirectory)
[/FONT][/COLOR]

To disable SIP (also known as Rootless)

1. Restart and after you hear the startup chime, hold down Cmd + R to enter recovery mode.
  2. Open Terminal from the top "Utilities" menu.
  3. In Terminal, enter the following command:
    Code:
    csrutil disable
  4. You’ll see a message saying that System Integrity Protection has been disabled and the Mac needs to restart for changes to take effect.

Now you can run the DVD Drive Switcher app or use one of the other solutions listed here.

To re-enable SIP/Rootless
  1. Restart and after you hear the startup chime, hold down Cmd + R to enter recovery mode.
  2. Open Terminal from the top "Utilities" menu.
  3. In Terminal, enter the following command:
    Code:
    csrutil enable
  4. You’ll see a message saying that System Integrity Protection has been disabled and the Mac needs to restart for changes to take effect.

To check the status of System Integrity Protection / Rootless at any time, enter the following terminal command:
Code:
csrutil status

Download: DVD Drive Switcher.app View attachment DVD Drive Switcher.zip
Size: 60.9 KB
Type: Applescript app, compressed into zip in order to attach here.

Not sure if anyone else encountered this issue after upgrading to ML, but kept getting a "Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012" when playing a DVD or Blu-Ray disc on drives previously working in Lion.

To fix this error, run the following commands in Terminal:

Step 1 - Create a backup of DVDPlayback.framework

sudo cp /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback.bak

Step 2 - Patch DVDPlayback

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x49\x6E\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|\x45\x78\x74\x65\x72\x6E\x61\x6C|g' /System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A/DVDPlayback

Now playback, eject, and auto sleep should be working again. If these steps don't work, try copying the DVDPlayback.framework from a working Lion installation, then run the commands. Good luck!

Works on High Sierra 5 years later, thanks for the quick fix :D

Oh did this on my real iMac if anyone wonders if it is compatible with a real Mac.

Works on High Sierra 5 years later, thanks for the quick fix :D

Oh did this on my real iMac if anyone wonders if it is compatible with a real Mac.

I can also confirm that it is still working on High Sierra as of 2019. Do the terminal command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back