Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012 - Mountain Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried everything on this thread but now I get a new error message: "DVD Player cannot be opened because of a problem." Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm in 10.8.5 and using an Optiarc SATA DVD RW Burner Drive (5280S-CB-PLUS).

Thanks!

--------------------------

Update:

Just did a clean install and everything is working fine. :thumbup:

Thank you - Patched work. Just copy the file there no need to restart or anything. Run DVD player.

Running it on 10.9 Mavrick + Gigagbyte UD5H + nVidia 550ti

Thanks for this! i know this is from 2012 but i can confirm that you're patched version is working good with Mavericks 10.9.2

Hi,
just giving feedback:

Using Mavericks 10.9.3 on Gigabyte Z87-UD4H board. DVD Player connected through eSATA.
Did the same as RadMatty in previous post, now Apple DVD Player works!

Before only VLC worked, Apple DVD brought the error.
Using Multibeast eSata Setting did not help.

Great, and many thanks!

Toni

Just noticed that the 70012 error has returned since the update to 10.9.3. I tried swapping out the patched file again but now I'm getting a different error, (see attached image). I particularly like the part of the error message that says "This report will be sent to Apple automatically."

The DVD drive still works with VLC though.

iTunes won't play any DRM protected videos I've purchased from the Apple Store either. I wonder if Apple just doesn't like my hardware?

Attachments

• DVD_player.png
    DVD_player.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 306
Alright, I restored the DVDPlayback.framework folder and now I'm back to the " Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012" error message. I tried replacing it a couple of times with the patched folder, but no luck. I tried the terminal procedures recommended by marioesantana in post #1 of this thread with no luck too.

I am in the same situation as RadMatty. The player will not initialize no matter what for the 'DVD Player' app. I know that the drive is functional. Data DVDs can be read fine. And in other application like VLC a commercial DVD will play, but I only get the audio. No video will display. I have tried almost every variant I can find of repairing, altering or replacing the DVD frameworks. I continue to get the -70012 error

Drive: LG HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS38 updated to the most recent firmware V1.03
OS X: 10.9.2

If anyone has any further insight, please let me know. I would desperately like to get this working again

[UPDATE]

Ok so this problem now seems to be technically solved but I'm not 100% clear what the specific fix was. The system had been functional for awhile but I had been delaying adding discrete graphics until I had some extra money. Last weekend I installed a GTX 780. During the install I flashed the BIOS. And after that I disabled the motherboard OB graphics.

Since then the DVD issue has disappeared. On top of that the system gained abilities it was formerly missing. The eSATA port on the MB now works and sleep functions too. Whether it was disabling the OB graphics or the flashed BIOS, I do not know. But since then my biggest lingering issues have been solved.

Last edited:
Hi everyone.
I realised that my solution was as simple as I thought: Went to bios settings and checked that my optical drive was not recognised. So my problem was hardware, not software. What solved this was unplug the power cord for a few minutes. Then plug again and start. Now everything came back working fine.

Just had this issues on 10.9.4 and couldn't figured out what I changed

Then I realized that the port the DVD drive was on had been set to Hot Plug in the Gigabyte BIOS settings. I changed it back and rebooted everything worked after that including the eject button.

Hopefully this helps someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back