Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK, very strange.

Recently after making some HW changes on my Hack and updating to the latest Multibeast, I started getting these errors:

Because a USB device was drawing too much power from your computer, one or more of your USB devices have been disabled.

To prevent damaging your computer, the USB device drawing too much power has been disabled. Other devices may have also been disabled. When you disconnect the device drawing too much power, your other USB devices will be enabled again.

So, I finally got tired of all these and started to trouble shoot. I started to disconnect USB devices one by one to see if the message would go away. One by one I disconnected something I didn't immediately need, then wait to see if the error went away. They kept coming.

Finally, my last device was my keyboard. I disconnected it and again, waited. I got the same message after awhile. WTF?

My Bluetooth is delivered by an external USB dongle and was disconnected earlier in the process, so that's not it.

So, I checked dmesg on a whim and spotted this gem:

USBF: 1670. 74 The IOUSBFamily did not receive enough extra current for the SuperSpeed device (4-Port USB 3.0 Hub) at 0x14c00000, asked for 400mA but got 0 mA

So it seems that an onboard USB hub itself as lost power? How is this possible? I had earlier been adding hardware to my machine (nothing USB-related though) and I wonder if I somehow disconnected something inside my case?

What would be the next step in troubleshooting this?

USB devices requires too much power error - WHEN NOTHING IS CONNECTED

Fixed! If you have a similar issue, shutdown your machine and **remove the power plug completely** for a minimum of 2 minutes then, restart. All sorted!

USB devices requires too much power error - WHEN NOTHING IS CONNECTED

Oh if it could only be so simple... :=)

Check this out please http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ide-ga-z77x-ud5h-usb3-problem-under-ml-4.html

Ignore the "Fix Inside" note
I firmware updated via windows as directed which worked but no fix to the error message

Of course I have powered off many times including removing the battery forcing cmos re-setup but still to no avail

There was one quick note about adding something to a DSDT that would fix this but no reply asking for the information as to how that was accomplished

One of the little quirks to "hackintoshing"? Still a fix would be nice

This is a software issue.
definitely NOT solved by unplugging the PSU for me.

I have the same issue on GA-Z77X-UP5-TH.

I did a fresh install from 10.8.0 and this did not have any USB errors.
I updated to 10.8.1 and there were no errors.
I updated to 10.8.2 and the errors appeared.
I installed the IOUSBFamily kext from 10.8.1 but the errors are still there.

However, I wonder if they are just "cosmetic" as the ports are recover by the time the OS have fully booted.
That is, the USB 3 ports all work fine for me - on a slow USB 3 HDD, I get 85 MB/s write speed.

So what was the problem and solution?

Thanks
Problem:
My problem is that I get an error during boot:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000]The IOUSBFamily did not receive enough extra current for the SuperSpeed device (4-Port USB 3.0 Hub) at 0x14b00000, asked for 400mA but got 0mA[/COLOR]

Solution:
None - that work for me.

There's talk about rolling back acpi kext and removing oemsmbios.kext but none of those are conclusive :(

However, All the USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports do appear to work fine after booting.
So not sure if this is a real problem

I would like to note that from my experiences this also occurs when in Windows 8 on my machine (z77x-ud5h).

I ran the patch for my GA-ZYYX-UP5 TH and the discreet GPU patch. The IOUSB error is gone at boot and the usb devices don't seem to pop off randomly anymore. But now I can't shut down. When I do all goes black and seems fine. The machine fully powers down, power light is off and everything. But then about 3 seconds letter it starts back up again.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back