Graphics
RX 6600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello @Feartech I installed Big Sur release in my system (z97-hd3) using a USB pen drive and it went smoothly. The only issue so far is that the USB 3.1 ASmedia 2142 controller pcie card is not loaded and the USB 3.1 external disk is not recognized as such when connected. Attached are some pictures, ioreg, and my efi folder (excluding themes and docfolders). It seems that Apple has replaced Asmedia2142 by Asmedia3142 in some lines of the AppleUSBXHCIPCI kext plug-in located in IOUSBHOSTFAMILY. Maybe it's the reason why you've a problem with your card. Any tips will be highly appreciated.
27121E8D-EACC-4CE6-87D4-97E48A8EC5D7.jpeg
82689978-8658-412E-A863-9167FAB7A8EF.jpeg

Attachments

• Archive Clover.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 312
  • Jorge’s iMac.zip
    786 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I installed Big Sur release in my system (z97-hd3) using a USB pen drive and it went smoothly. The only issue so far is that the USB 3.1 ASmedia controller pcie card is not loaded and the USB 3.1 external disk is not recognized as such when connected. Attached are some pictures and my clover efi folder (excluding themes and docfolders). Any tips will be highly appreciated.View attachment 495633View attachment 495635
sortedorder is wrong for hotpatch files, remove those entries in your config.plist

also what patches have you done in your dsdt.aml?

sortedorder is wrong for hotpatch files, remove those entries in your config.plist

also what patches have you done in your dsdt.aml?
@Feartech, thanks a lot for your feedback. The DSDT patching was done by a developer. I understand that the patches include the following:
-FIX ERRORS AND WARNINGS
-FIX ACPI ERRORS
-REMOVE UNUSED SCOPES / DEVICES
-HIGH PRECISION EVENT TIMER
-SATA SERIE ID
-DMAC
-REMOVE LINES, PROBLEMATIC and UNUSED
-FIX K.P in REBOOT
-NVRAM
-REAL TIME CLOCK
-SLPB
-DARWIN / WINDOWS
-XHCI
-PLUGIN TYPE
-HDEF
-ARTC
-IPIC
-TIMR

Hello @Feartech , @tonymacx86: by any chance you had the opportunity to review in detail my previous post about my installation of Big Sur, which was successful except for the USB 3.1 gen 2 PCIe card which is loaded properly in Catalina but not in Big Sur. The card uses ASmedia 2142 usb controller which is supposed to be supported natively. I checked with the vendor and they responded that the card is supposed to be supported natively by Big Sur. However, that’s not the case as you can see in the pictures attached to my previous post in which I also attached the efi folder and the ioreg copy.

Hello @jzrodriguez98, @Feartech I'm also looking for a fix for a USB 3.1 ASmedia 2142 controller pcie card with Big Sur. I'm guessing it has something to do with the IOPowerManagement, but I couldn't find a solution yet…

There's currently no solution for this and no one figured out a workaround.

Hello @jzrodriguez98, @Feartech I'm also looking for a fix for a USB 3.1 ASmedia 2142 controller pcie card with Big Sur. I'm guessing it has something to do with the IOPowerManagement, but I couldn't find a solution yet…
@jlanot , I ordered a newer pcie USB 3.1 card which is based on ASMedia 3142 usb controller which ironically is a refreshed ASMedia 2142 controller. In fact, I confirmed with the vendor that both ASMedia2142 and ASMedia3142 USB controllers have the same deviceID in the PCI configuration registers. But I kept digging and what was suggested in another forum was to patch DSDT in a way similar to those instances in which one would do it to fake ID for an unsupported pci device. I already have something like that for my wifi to work in Big Sur since it was partially deprecated, which was done by a developer, as I’m not that expert. There’s some parameters in the DSDT such as the buffer values which I don’t know how to determine. I know in theory what potentially should be added to my DSDT but I haven’t found a good guideline which I could follow to insert correctly all the required lines in the DSDT. I noticed that Big Sur is loading AppleASMediaUSBXHCI bus for my card instead of ASMedia3142USBXHCI which should be the USB bus that matches the one loaded without issues in Catalina. If we can find someone who’s capable of doing what we need, perhaps the issue can be solved.

@jlanot , I ordered a newer pcie USB 3.1 card which is based on ASMedia 3142 usb controller which ironically is a refreshed ASMedia 2142 controller. In fact, I confirmed with the vendor that both ASMedia2142 and ASMedia3142 USB controllers have the same deviceID in the PCI configuration registers. But I kept digging and what was suggested in another forum was to patch DSDT in a way similar to those instances in which one would do it to fake ID for an unsupported pci device. I already have something like that for my wifi to work in Big Sur since it was partially deprecated, which was done by a developer, as I’m not that expert. There’s some parameters in the DSDT such as the buffer values which I don’t know how to determine. I know in theory what potentially should be added to my DSDT but I haven’t found a good guideline which I could follow to insert correctly all the required lines in the DSDT. I noticed that Big Sur is loading AppleASMediaUSBXHCI bus for my card instead of ASMedia3142USBXHCI which should be the USB bus that matches the one loaded without issues in Catalina. If we can find someone who’s capable of doing what we need, perhaps the issue can be solved.
I finally figured out how to add the DSDT patching lines for the card under PXSX but, guess what, my DSDT is reporting lots of compiling errors in MaciASL (in lines not related to the changes I’m making), which does not make any sense since it’s a working DSDT. I updated the MaciASL and is still reporting the errors.

I finally figured out how to add the DSDT patching lines for the card under PXSX but, guess what, my DSDT is reporting lots of compiling errors in MaciASL (in lines not related to the changes I’m making), which does not make any sense since it’s a working DSDT. I updated the MaciASL and is still reporting the errors.
Awesome man, you're getting closer! Unfortunately I'm still trying to learn about DSDTs and all that stuff, mainly from Dortania's guide, but I guess I'm missing some key points haha!

Would you mind sharing this DSDT, if by any chance I can find something?

Plus, I don't see my USB 3.1 as PXSX, and so no name nor power support I guess :
Capture d’écran 2020-11-25 à 19.13.02.png

The investigation continues…

Awesome man, you're getting closer! Unfortunately I'm still trying to learn about DSDTs and all that stuff, mainly from Dortania's guide, but I guess I'm missing some key points haha!

Would you mind sharing this DSDT, if by any chance I can find something?

Plus, I don't see my USB 3.1 as PXSX, and so no name nor power support I guess :View attachment 498341

The investigation continues…
@jlanot . Attached is the DSDT. Bear in mind that patches included on it are specific to Haswell build like mine and based on a IOREG capture.

Attachments

• DSDT MadLon.aml.zip
    20.8 KB · Views: 283
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back