Graphics
GTX 650
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I stumbled on this fix accidentally and don't know why or how it works. :)

After clean installing Mavericks, and selecting iMac 14.1 System Def (4 USB 3 ports compatible with USB 2) in MultiBeast 6.0. I did not install the USB 3.0 option because I had been using the native AppleUSB 3.0 support. I cloned the install to an external USB 3 SSD.

Did a Google search for fixes for the loss of USB 2 on USB 3 ports, I found an old post that used the attached Kext and GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.5 and opted to try it with Mavericks.

Installed the Kexts using Kext Beast, repaired Disk Permissions, and restarted. I was disappointed to find that my USB 2 drive would still not mount on a USB 3 port as had been the case since ML 10.8.5.

I connected my external USB 3 drive and restarted my Hack intending to install the clone on the internal drive. After restart I was amazed to see that the USB 2 flash drive I had left in a USB 3 port mounted and remounted.

Further experimentation proved that if a USB 3 port is connected when the Hack is started, USB 2 drives will mount on USB 3 ports. :headbang:

Screen Shot 2013-10-23 at 12.56.41 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-10-23 at 1.01.07 PM.pngView attachment 3187-PXHCD%2ekext.zip

Update: If you have already installed USB 3 support using MultiBeast, delete GenericUSBXHCI kext in S/L/E. Install PXHCD using Kext Beast. Repair Disk Permissions. Shut down computer. After restart, install GenericUSBXHCI 1.2.5 ( vs 1.2.6 did not work for me) with Kext Beast.

Thanks. I followed your tips and got USB 3.0 working on Mavericks with the same MB. Couldn't find 1.2.5 version, so I used 1.2.7 from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/
And also found the following info about the version used:
"On OS 10.9, when installing GenericUSBXHCI, you need to edit the file
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist
and make sure GenericUSBXHCI is allowed up to the version you install"
Just find the string for GenericUSBXHCI and replaced the version showed by 1.2.7

Hope it helps.

UPDATE: I deleted PXHCD.kext and fixed disk permissions again, rebooted and USB 3 port is still working.
I guess that the GenericUSBXHCI version fix was more important than anything else.

Thanks. I followed your tips and got USB 3.0 working on Mavericks with the same MB. Couldn't find 1.2.5 version, so I used 1.2.7 from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/genericusbxhci/
And also found the following info about the version used:
"On OS 10.9, when installing GenericUSBXHCI, you need to edit the file
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleKextExcludeList.kext/Contents/Info.plist
and make sure GenericUSBXHCI is allowed up to the version you install"
Just find the string for GenericUSBXHCI and replaced the version showed by 1.2.7

Hope it helps.

UPDATE: I deleted PXHCD.kext and fixed disk permissions again, rebooted and USB 3 port is still working.
I guess that the GenericUSBXHCI version fix was more important than anything else.

Hi Bill,

I was wondering if you had actually tested your read and write speeds on your USB 3.0 ports to USB 3.0 drives? The reason I ask is because I cannot get the USB 3.0 ports on my board to work properly. The System report states they are USB 3.0 and with write speeds up to 5Gb/s ( I realise this i not realistic, but I'm gettiung slower than USB 2.0 write speeds. I have they same board as you with f14 bios. I previously had f12 but decided to upgrade in hopes it would fix the USB situation. I have been trying to find out from anyone with the same board if the USB 3.0 ports are indeed working correctly.

I'm gonna give the version fix a try next to seee if that helps?

Thanks,

Spang

YAHTZEE!!!

for the longest my usb 3 drive wasnt mounting. but last night thanks to this old a$$ thread the gods have swayed in my favor. thanks guys!:headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back