Contribute
Register

[Solved] UPGRADING just the motherboard (H170N->H270N)=PROBLEM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE H270N-WIFI
CPU
i7-7700
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi, just wanted to make sure that I don’t need to do anything special when switching just the motherboard on my system.

My GIGAGYTE H170N-WIFI got toasted, but all the other components work without problems.

I found a good priced GIGABYTE H270N-WIFI motherboard that will work with my i5 6500 and is the same size etc. When I boot the system, do I need to do something special to make it work?

I guess i’ll have to deal with iMessage, but aside from that, i don’t think there is much else to get wrong. Am I right?

Thanks for your suggestions and tips.

Hi, just wanted to make sure that I don’t need to do anything special when switching just the motherboard on my system.

My GIGAGYTE H170N-WIFI got toasted, but all the other components work without problems.

I found a good priced GIGABYTE H270N-WIFI motherboard that will work with my i5 6500 and is the same size etc. When I boot the system, do I need to do something special to make it work?

I guess i’ll have to deal with iMessage, but aside from that, i don’t think there is much else to get wrong. Am I right?

Here are a few tips from my knowledge about the two. I don't have them but have reviewed their hardware SPECS.
  • Make sure to check the size of replacement board before placing inside the case.
    • According to Specs Form Factor: Mini-ATX for H-270 and Micro-Atx. H-170:
    • MoBo Stand-Offs may be at different places
      • Your old Computer case should have those options.
  • You cannot just place the MOBO +CPU+RAM+Graphics and boot with your prior Hard disk and expect it to boot to High Sierra Desktop!
    • The prior board H-170 was Intel 100 Series and the current one H-270 is Intel 200 Series. Read about Post install requirement
    • Your chosen Intel i5 6500 is a supported CPU for this Board making it a Skylake if using IGFX.
    • Remember the Audio Chipsets are different
      • Audio Chipset : Realtek ALC892 for H-170 Realtek ALC1220 for H-270
    • Both share the same LAN Chipset Intel GbE LAN chipset H170: 1 port H-270 has 2 LAN Ports

• Do some research on your ZOTAC GTX 780 Ti OC amp! 3GB DDR with your GIGABYTE H270N-WIFI motherboard for High Sierra before proceeding to avoid any surprises..
Hope the above tips will come handy. Good luck

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and give me some tips, really appreciate it. Thanks!

According to Specs Form Factor: Mini-ATX for H-270 and Micro-Atx. H-170:
I have a mini ATX case anyway, so it should be okay.

The prior board H-170 was Intel 100 Series and the current one H-270 is Intel 200 Series. Read about Post install requirement
This is interesting. DO you think that I wont be able to boot right away just because of this? Can I "switch" some special handles in Clover preboot to make it boot?

Your chosen Intel i5 6500 is a supported CPU for this Board making it a Skylake if using IGFX.
I dont use the IGFX (I switch it off in BIOS) so I hope its not a problem.

Remember the Audio Chipsets are different
I use USB audio (I got tired of dealing with it. Never got it working, takes time and sometimes it messes up my system. So I stopped trying)

Both share the same LAN Chipset Intel GbE LAN chipset H170: 1 port H-270 has 2 LAN Ports
Ups, Ihope this is not a hard problem.

Do some research on your ZOTAC GTX 780 Ti OC amp! 3GB DDR with your GIGABYTE H270N-WIFI motherboard for High Sierra before proceeding to avoid any surprises..
I use the NVIDIA web drivers, but lately, I used the native drivers without a problem on HS.

I guess I’ll have to deal with iMessage, but aside from that, I don’t think there is much else to get wrong. Am I right?

I have performed several motherboard replacements in the past, from a GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 (i5) to a GA-P67A-UD3R-B3 (Xeon), and then to a GA-Z68XP-UD3R (i5) and finally the GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 (Xeon). Each time all the MacOS versions I have installed from Mountain Lion to El Capitan all booted successfully. These motherboards are all from the old Sandy Bridge family.

In your case the hardware of the two motherboards is reasonably similar, so I expect MacOS to boot successfully upon the motherboard replacement without doing anything special, but of course I don't have experience with High Sierra so it may be different. You may need to perform other adjustments as the other poster said.

originalmagneto, did the swap work out? I'm interested in whether the combo H270N-WIFI and the 6500 work.

originalmagneto, did the swap work out? I'm interested in whether the combo H270N-WIFI and the 6500 work.

Yes, it did work without any hitches or problems (since I use a USB soundcard). I use a different wifi module, so I just switched that too.

Thanks for letting me know. I thought that the combination of H270N and 6th gen chip might cause issues. Good to know it works.

Do you get the sleep function with this combination?

Yes, it did work without any hitches or problems (since I use a USB soundcard). I use a different wifi module, so I just switched that too.

I dont use sleep on ma hack, I dont understand enough of the configs to get it working. If you have some tips, theyre welcome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back