Graphics
MSI N750TI-2GD5/OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just upgraded my perfectly functioning Yosemite (Chimera) install to El Capitan following both the Clover Basics and the Official Guide and it went surprisingly smooth: it boots fine, and even my non-spec (has a VGA output) 750ti seems ok and not causing freezes after 5 min anymore.

However, I did run into an issue (I believe it's all related) with the post-install tools. It is probably just me not yet familiar with Clover (my first attempt), but I have lost ethernet, audio and my dual monitors are no longer working (even after installing the web driver, it's only one monitor). Interestingly, I did have ethernet upon the first boot, before running the post install tools. I also had copied the following from /S/L/E to /L/E prior to upgrading, as the basics guide suggests:

AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext, AppleIntelE1000e.kext, FakeSMC.kext, GenericUSBXHCI.kext - these were the only kexts from the list, I am not sure where my ALC892 may have been installed before, I couldn't find it at either location.

I'd love to at least get my network back so I can search for solutions from within the system in question, and not have to reboot into Windows. Any help is appreciated!

My system: Gigabyte B85M Gaming 3, Core i5-4590, MSI GTX750ti 2gb

Upgrade from Yosemite, post install: no network/audio/dual screens

I just upgraded my perfectly functioning Yosemite (Chimera) install to El Capitan following both the Clover Basics and the Official Guide and it went surprisingly smooth: it boots fine, and even my non-spec (has a VGA output) 750ti seems ok and not causing freezes after 5 min anymore.

However, I did run into an issue (I believe it's all related) with the post-install tools. It is probably just me not yet familiar with Clover (my first attempt), but I have lost ethernet, audio and my dual monitors are no longer working (even after installing the web driver, it's only one monitor). Interestingly, I did have ethernet upon the first boot, before running the post install tools. I also had copied the following from /S/L/E to /L/E prior to upgrading, as the basics guide suggests:

AHCI_3rdParty_SATA.kext, AppleIntelE1000e.kext, FakeSMC.kext, GenericUSBXHCI.kext - these were the only kexts from the list, I am not sure where my ALC892 may have been installed before, I couldn't find it at either location.

I'd love to at least get my network back so I can search for solutions from within the system in question, and not have to reboot into Windows. Any help is appreciated!

My system: Gigabyte B85M Gaming 3, Core i5-4590, MSI GTX750ti 2gb

Where do you have these kexts installed currently? Do you have Clover injecting them; with SIP partially disabled?

For audio look here at toleda's Clover script: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143757-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html

Where do you have these kexts installed currently? Do you have Clover injecting them; with SIP partially disabled?

For audio look here at toleda's Clover script: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143757-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html

I installed the script per the guide. I am pretty sure I followed the guide to the T. As for the kexts - I didn't do anything beyond what's in the guide + the 'basics" thread. As I mentioned, I had copied whatever kexts I could find that matched the list in basics thread from /s/l/e to /l/e before upgrading. Since I can boot normally, apparently I did it correctly. I'm sorry, I have no idea what SIP is and/or how to partially disable it. I ran a search for it on the guide - no matches... NVM, I just saw it in the Audio guide you linked, reading.. I take it the guide isn't sufficient for an upgrade?

So I'll take the other angle, which is the Ethernet.

It looks like your motherboard has an Intel gigabit network chip, so I expect the correct driver is AppleIntelE1000e.kext, which matches what you said about existing kexts.

I wonder if the problem is that you now have multiple copies.

I would check /Library/Extensions and /System/Library/Extensions and see if they both have a copy of AppleIntelE1000e.kext and if so remove whichever one is older.

My /System/Library/Extensions was removed in the upgrade. I saw others mention the same happening, so at this time, I only have /L/E, which contains my previously copied files. To be sure, I just mounted EFI again with Clover Configurator, checked /EFI/CLOVER/kexts, and there are none there, including 10.11. Worst part is my NTFS-3G has also stopped working it seems, so I cannot copy my config.plist to a windows-accessible drive, and with no ethernet, can't even email it to myself lol. I am seriously considering restoring Yosemit and going through the upgrade again, but skipping step 7 for now (Run CustoMac Essentials) - to hopefully keep ethernet working.

But before I do - I just ran "sudo touch library/extensions" (saw this mentioned somewhere else) and a message popped up immediately that "kext was installed incorrectly and cannot be used" for each of the kexts I had copied there from /S/L/E - maybe that can give you a clue to what's going on? And thanks so much for your help!

ALMOST there

So I did. This time it went a bit better. It appears that Clover Configurator wrote to my USB drive the first time around, so I made sure to unplug everything except my system drive. I have ethernet AND dual screens now, but can't get sound no matter what. If I mount EFI with clover configurator, it insists that EFI is not mounted. If I mount it with diskutil via terminal, it seems to work, but still no sound devices appear. I am attaching my config.plist and output from the ALC script.

View attachment output.txtView attachment config.plist

Your machine still HAS a /System directory, Finder just isn't showing it to you by default.

In Finder, hit Command-Shift-G and type /System into the box that comes up.

You cannot copy kexts in Finder to install them. It sounds like you're past this, but if it is still a problem: First, delete any ones you copied that way (that it complained were installed improperly). Then, get fresh copies and put them on your Desktop (no other kexts there). Then, run KextBeast to install them, and reboot to see the effect.

Now, for the current problem, which seems to be audio:

The audio script output you posted includes this:
Code:
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.
NOK to patch
Add config.plist/RtVariables/CsrActiveConfig=0x3 and restart

That is telling you that it can't install because SIP is enabled. (That would prevent custom kexts from working in /L/E or /S/L/E as well.) To disable SIP, you need to add RtVariables to config.plist as discussed in this guide. (It suggests using a text editor; you can do the same in Clover Configurator on the RtVariables screen so long as you edit the correct config.plist and put in the correct values.) Indeed, the config.plist you posted has no RtVariables section, which seems to confirm that this is the problem.

well, I'm at my wits end - added variables, ran script with seeming success (both files attached again) - still no sound devices. ran kextbeast with realtekALC.kext and RealtekRTL8111.kext on desktop, confirmed they are in /S/L/E after reboot (can see it now after enabling hidden files via terminal) - still nothing. I can see they are also in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 - could that be the reason?

View attachment config.plist View attachment output.txt

well, I'm at my wits end - added variables, ran script with seeming success (both files attached again) - still no sound devices. ran kextbeast with realtekALC.kext and RealtekRTL8111.kext on desktop, confirmed they are in /S/L/E after reboot (can see it now after enabling hidden files via terminal) - still nothing. I can see they are also in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11 - could that be the reason?

View attachment 156634 View attachment 156635

UPDATE: I got it working! It looks like having the unibeast installer USB plugged in messes with the boot somehow, even though I made sure to hit F12 and select my system drive at startup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back