Contribute
Register

[Solved] Updated to latest Clover, now can't boot - Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
On the CustoMac ITX built in my signature, I am on Sierra 10.12.3 and this morning I updated Clover (thought that might be a good preparation for updating to Sierra 10.12.4). However, now all I get when I try to boot is an Apple logo with a progress bar about 1/3 across. I don't even get a Clover screen, so can't choose safe mode or verbose or anything.

What is the best way to recover from this?

Thank you in advance.

I ran a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my boot drive before updating clover. Do you mean restore that? Or am I supposed to have a backup of clover?

I do have an identical machine that is running the same version of Clover this machine was running. Can I copy the contents of that machine's EFI partition to this machine?

Does this mean I should never update Clover on these two machines?

I ran a Carbon Copy Cloner backup of my boot drive before updating clover. Do you mean restore that? Or am I supposed to have a backup of clover?
Whatever your backup strategy is - That's why we have them.
Perhaps you can boot from your USB installer and select your hard drive from the boot loader.
If that gets you to the desktop you should be able to restore your previous Clover installation from the /EFI-Backups folder on your system disk.

I do have an identical machine that is running the same version of Clover this machine was running. Can I copy the contents of that machine's EFI partition to this machine?
That would be a solution but remember to change SMBIOS information so that they are not identified as identical.

Does this mean I should never update Clover on these two machines?
No, but question why you are updating it in the first place. If it works then there is no need to update.

Whatever your backup strategy is - That's why we have them.
Perhaps you can boot from your USB installer and select your hard drive from the boot loader.
If that gets you to the desktop you should be able to restore your previous Clover installation from the /EFI-Backups folder on your system disk.

OK I'll try that. Thanks.

That would be a solution but remember to change SMBIOS information so that they are not identified as identical.
Ah, great point!

No, but question why you are updating it in the first place. If it works then there is no need to update.

I guess I thought it was a good thing to keep up to date, but in this case apparently not. Thanks.

Solved! I was able to boot from a Unibeast stick, then restored an EFI backup that was created last September. Everything seems to be working as normal. I went ahead and updated to MacOS 10.12.4 and everything seems fine after that also.

Thanks for the help @P1LGRIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back