Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII GENE Micro ATX LGA1151
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2
I'm running Sierra, got everything working, and then enabled filevault without thinking to make sure it wouldn't cause problems. On restart, it failed to boot - the bar progresses for a while and then eventually I just get an X. In Clover, I can also choose to boot into "Boot MacOS from Recovery HD" and "Boot Recovery from Recovery HD." If I try the former, I get to my login screen but no keyboards work (appears to be a known problem).

I'm able to get into recovery mode, where I attempted to follow these instructions. This brings me to the Reset Password tool, which has three options: "I forgot my password," "My password doesn't work when logging in," and "My keyboard isn't working when typing my password to log in."

The third option is supposed to allow me to disable filevault by entering my password, which I do, but when I enter it and select "disable FileVault" it tells me "Incorrect password" and the terminal outputs an error code -69693. I'm positive the password is correct, and if I type in anything else, it immediately tells me "incorrect password" without even giving me the option to disable FileVault. Just in case, I used the second option to change my password to something simple, involving no special characters or anything, but the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've done as much as I can with what I know and google; I can't find anything suggesting what's going wrong in recovery mode, and any help would be appreciated!

Edit: I tried to see what would happen if I try reinstalling OS X using the install drive I originally used, and it won't even let me choose the filevault encrypted drive. It says that it's "currently encrypting data." I'm not sure if that helps, but never know!

Last edited:
Probably erased your drive long ago, but... I had a kind of similar problem years ago (hear me out) with like OS X 10.10 when FileVault 2 was new. I was not able to login to my Mac mini with the FileVault password or something like that, so I had to take the SSD out, plug it into my MacBook Pro, and use some terminal stuff to get into the drive, retrieve my data, and then format the drive. The guide is here.

Thanks for the help! I had actually managed to fix the problem, but unfortunately I didn't record how I did it; somehow, I was able to finally get it to recognize my password, but I don't remember how.

I had this problem of keyboard not working after I enabled Filevault on my Clover Hackintosh startup disk. It's not that hard to get out of the bind if you have a working mac to which you can attach your newly encrypted disk. Basically, get the code for AptioInputFix.efi from the git distro at https://github.com/vit9696/AptioFixPkg, and build it by simply executing macbuild.tool script that's in the root directory of the distro. Mount the EFI partition of your encrypted drive, and copy the newly built AptioInputFix.efi file to where all the other .efi files are, should be something like
<your EFI mount point>/EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI
I used the RELEASE version, but DEBUG should work too. After that, your keyboard should work when you try to start up from that disk.

I had this problem ...
Thanks mmilenko, this helped me - although the process wasn't quite as straight forward as the macbuild.tool has quite a lot of dependencies which need to be installed (it'll tell you what's required when the script runs... for me at least, the 'automatically install' option didn't work for nasm - had to manually install (I naively used this, there are probably better options: http://macappstore.org/nasm/ )).

Thank you MarsKat and mmilenko for the help on this.

For those with the same problem, I used a SATA-to-USB cable to connect the offending drive to my 10.13.4 (APFS) Macbook. The latest version of Clover Configurator has the drivers for AptioInputFix and USBkbdxe. Mount EFI of your target drive (obviously not that of your laptop drive). Go to Install Drivers in Configurator. Install Aptio and USBkbdxe. Replace your Hackintosh SSD and you can now use keyboard to enter password at FileVault preboot

Note this broke my dongle mouse at preboot login screen. I used Trackpad connected via USB to select user for login. Now all is well

Last edited:
Is it still risky to enable FileVault?

Is it still risky to enable FileVault?
Nope. It's safe, if you have all necessary drivers installed.
Always works fine for me. No problems with major neither minor updates so far.

Thanks mmilenko, this helped me - although the process wasn't quite as straight forward as the macbuild.tool has quite a lot of dependencies which need to be installed (it'll tell you what's required when the script runs... for me at least, the 'automatically install' option didn't work for nasm - had to manually install (I naively used this, there are probably better options: http://macappstore.org/nasm/ )).
how to install nasm? my keyboard is not working in login screen

Hi guys, @upognat your solution worked for me. Anybody have any experience with turning FileVault off and then not being able to boot from main disk after restarting? Booted back into the recovery drive, and FileVault started decrypting again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back