Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Unable to exit sleep mode on keypress with Asus TUF z390 Pro Gaming / i9-9900k / UHD 630 / Gigabyte RX 580 8GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus TUF z390 Pro Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have my new system up using the Mojave installation guide and primarily the Macman's build instructions: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...updated-for-10-14-6-and-nvram-support.275272/

I copied the essential part list:
- Asus TUF z390 Pro Gaming motherboard
- Intel i9-9900k cpu
- Gigabyte Radeon RX580 Gaming 8GB gpu
- Samsung 860 EVO ssd (non M.2)

Installation had horrific learning curve, but ended up being quite straight forward after sufficient learning-amounts.

Everything seems to work:
1587422655586.png

The issue is, when I leave the workstation for 15 mins or so, it goes into sleep mode; however, when I press any key to wake, the monitor doesn't regain signal.

The symptoms when I press a key to wake the computer:
- the monitor light turns on and shows active HDMI port #1, but then it turns off after a few~ due to no signal
- the motherboard's CPU cooler lights up a bit, so it seems the motherboard is aware of this state change

I'm not sure where to look or how to begin debugging this, but I did find some log output that could be helpful from 1+ sleep/wake events:

1587423042441.png

1587423410583.png

Can anyone interpret these logs enough to see what did happen and/or didn't happen?

Bonus: It may be worth skimming Macman's first post in the thread I linked, because it shows what steps I performed while installing. The OctoTUF.mb Multibeast file does include some graphics changes.

I haven't performed any changes specifically for the RX580.

Here is a little more (I'm hoping something is obviously incorrect):
Adams-iMac:Desktop adam$ pmset -g
System-wide power settings:
Currently in use:
hibernatemode 0
womp 1
networkoversleep 0
sleep 10
Sleep On Power Button 1
ttyskeepawake 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
disksleep 10
displaysleep 10

Last edited:
I found someone else's output here from pmset -g, and it contains a couple things of interest to my naive thinking:
https://gist.github.com/metamatt/bdec285c3b3288567ca4

I notice they have sleep 0 and darkwakes 1. I don't know what those are but i don't have them listed in my output. Those seem like they could be relevant because I see mine has sleep, disksleep and displaysleep 10, which I currently assume is 10 minutes.

I might guess that setting mine to sleep 0 will stop it from going into the mode it can't wake from, and I might also guess that darkwakes 1 might allow it to wake up properly from that mode.

Update: Here attached is my /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist file.

1587425676942.png

1587425969146.png

^^ That driver is not installed, but I'm pretty sure I do have CSM enabled, and it was required to make my system observe my USB correctly.

Attachments

• config.plist
    8.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
[NOTE]: Read this post if you are having monitor on/off-switching issues or multi-monitor issues, because you may gain some intuition.

I just solved this. My goal was to achieve dual monitor, but along my way I discovered that when the monitor was plugged into the UHD630 instead of the RX580, the system was able to exit sleep mode on keypress without issue.

Then I hooked a second monitor up, and the system would wake without issue with that monitor whether it was plugged into the UHD630 or RX580. That one was male DVI to female DisplayPort adaptor (with active displayport).

It must be understood that, when transforming from displayport to dvi, the difference between active displayport to dvi and "displayport to dvi" is that active displayport handles the conversion outside the source device. Non-active displayport assumes that source device performs the conversion prior to output. This is important because MacOS isn't known to handle non-displayport or HDMI outputs. The operating system itself likely has minimal provisions for performing such a conversion. Thus, active displayport to dvi is what is desired.

To clarify, active displayport converts the signal to DVI inside the adaptor. Non-active displayport assumes the signal was converted to DVI prior to hitting the adaptor.

Long story short, wake doesn't seem to work with HDMI. When I had both the HDMI and DP-to-DVI monitors hooked up, the HDMI one never exited sleep mode, and in fact, pretty much never worked. The HDMI one only turned on once when I quickly changed display settings in OS (when I ticked the box for "Mirror displays", it started working).

That HDMI monitor also has a displayport input on it, so I used a DP cable instead, and suddenly both monitors worked perfect. Both monitors enter and exit sleep mode perfectly, and both perform expected while booting.

The key is for both monitors to be on displayport. I suspect HDMI has issues picking up after sleep mode, and this same issue manifests when two monitors are connected.

If you are having issues, try to avoid using HDMI, DVI, or VGA and aim for maximum DisplayPort and/or USB-C. I did not require to, but I suspect some more exotic hardware combinations may benefit from changing the SMBIOS from iMac to Macbook Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back