Contribute
Register

[solved] UHD 630 either not booting or no acceleration on Dell XPS 15 9570 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Hey, it works! It turns out that it's different for me. I read you were using 10.14.1, so that's probably why. Here's the a modified patch for Mojave RTM/GM. Thanks for the temporary fix (which will probably become permanent)!

Glad to hear that. My bad, I totally forgot to check whether the patch can be applied on 10.14.

It's the exact same config as in debug_8723.zip but with the stolenmem and fbmem uncommented, and with the patch.
Should I upload the files anyways...?

Any change requires new PR files.

Anyways, I don't understand how macOS can only use 32MB of DVMT-prealloc (it doesn't crash when the stolenmem/fbmem are set to 19M+9M, but it does when nothing is there). Maybe I'll try 57M+0M though that's what it should default to...
BIOS still says 64M, AmiSetupWriter still says 64M (but the key variable/value of course).

If you have 64mb DVMT-prealloc, no need to patch for 32mb.

My bad, I totally forgot to check whether the patch can be applied on 10.14.
Hey, it's just further proof that this isn't a permanent fix :)
Thanks!

Edit: Hey, it works! It turns out that it's different for me. I read you were using 10.14.1, so that's probably why. Here's the a modified patch for Mojave RTM/GM. Thanks for the temporary fix (which will probably become permanent)!

Code:
<dict>
    <key>Comment</key>
    <string>Set the number of active lanes to 4 - 10.14 RTM (for laptop with 4K display) (by FireWolf)</string>
    <key>Disabled</key>
    <false/>
    <key>Find</key>
    <data>
     VUiJ5Uj/BaVGBwCLlsAlAACKjg==
    </data>
    <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
     <false/>
     <key>Name</key>
     <string>AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
     <key>Replace</key>
     <data>
     VUiJ5bgEAAAAiYa8JQAAMcBdww==
     </data>
</dict>

This works on my 9570 with 1080p screen too by changing the patch from 4 lanes to 2 lanes:

The patch for 1080p with Mojave 10.14 is the following:
(Plist format)
Code:
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>Set the number of active lanes to 2 - 10.14 RTM (for laptop with 4K display) (by FireWolf)</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                VUiJ5Uj/BaVGBwCLlsAlAACKjg==
                </data>
                <key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleIntelCFLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                VUiJ5bgCAAAAiYa8JQAAMcBdww==
                </data>
            </dict>

(Text format)
Code:
Comment: Set the number of active lanes to 2 - 10.14 RTM (for laptop with 4K display) (by FireWolf)
Find: 554889E5 48FF05A5 4607008B 96C02500 008A8E
Replace: 554889E5 B8020000 008986BC 25000031 C05DC3

Thank you @Austere.J and @Raymonf

Hey, it's just further proof that this isn't a permanent fix :)
Thanks!

I've read through the thread and attempted some things, including your debug_22607.zip based configuration. While the system boots and works in 4K it doesn't really 'feel' like any GPU acceleration is active. "VRAM (total)" is still reported as 31 MB and "VRAM (Dynamic, Max)" is blank in System information. Is this the same on your laptop ?

I might have a factory disabled Intel ME on my motherboard. Dell replaced the motherboard for my laptop and upon the first boot it gave the option to disable the Intel ME. I asked the Dell technician to disable it, without realising the issues it could cause. I can see in Windows that there is a Intel ME firmware installed (when using an Intel ME firmware installer), but if the person actually disabled it Intel ME and if so on how to enable it again. in IORegistryExplorer there is a device called AppleACPIPlatformExport->PCI0@0->AppleACPiPCI->IMEI@16. Can anybody confirm whether this means that the Intel ME is accessible to MacOS ?

Last edited:
While the system boots and works in 4K it doesn't really 'feel' like any GPU acceleration is active. "VRAM (total)" is still reported as 31 MB and "VRAM (Dynamic, Max)" is blank in System information. Is this the same on your laptop ?
Right, I haven't posted my latest config :)
I'll get to that after work. Check back in 5 hours, it'll be there.

Edit: attached!

Attachments

• config.plist
    13.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Right, I haven't posted my latest config :)
I'll get to that after work. Check back in 5 hours, it'll be there.

That would potentially be great !... and very much appreciated :)

This works on my 9570 with 1080p screen too by changing the patch from 4 lanes to 2 lanes

Glad to hear that. Congratulations. :clap:

Previously, I though this wouldn't be an issue on UHD 630 with low resolution, but I found something new last night, so I am not surprised that laptops with 1080p may have the same issue now. Stay tuned. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back