Contribute
Register

[solved] UHD 630 either not booting or no acceleration on Dell XPS 15 9570 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about this guy.

Unless the user has inspected an IFR extract, and read the variable in a shell to determine DVMT-prealloc, we don't really know what DVMT-prealloc was actually set to.

But yeah, without WhateverGreen.kext and/or without DVMT related patches is always something to try.
But I don't think many have tried with the latest github guide plists...

Unless the user has inspected an IFR extract, and read the variable in a shell to determine DVMT-prealloc, we don't really know what DVMT-prealloc was actually set to.
XPS 15 9570 4K is set to 64MB by default and it is the maximum. I confirmed this with another user, using AmiSetupWriter.

Backup your current config.plist, remove whatevergreen or any other kexts for graphics. Start with empty config.plist and set SMBIOS to MacBook Pro 15,1or 15,2 and try to boot. Also try with and without the ssdt for disabling nvidia.
I tried already, no dice. I got to the exact point as with RehabMan's.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Done. I might have forgotten to set the DellSMBIOSPatch value to true this time around, should I redo it? It doesn't make a difference in the booting process when it comes to this graphics issue anyways...

Attachments

• photo_2018-10-01_00-53-08.jpg
    photo_2018-10-01_00-53-08.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 106

But yeah, without WhateverGreen.kext and/or without DVMT related patches is always something to try.
But I don't think many have tried with the latest github guide plists...

I suggested this step because after setting dvmt to 64MBmy system became so native that it always has graphics acceleration. Maybe 32MB will will also work if not applying those fixes.

XPS 15 9570 4K is set to 64MB by default and it is the maximum. I confirmed this with another user, using AmiSetupWriter.

If this is the case, why do you have DVMT-prealloc 32mb patches in the files you just attached?

Done. I might have forgotten to set the DellSMBIOSPatch value to true this time around, should I redo it? It doesn't make a difference in the booting process when it comes to this graphics issue anyways...

Turn on DellSMBIOSPatch and remove unnecessary kexts in EFI/Clover/kexts/Other.
(more is not better)

You may also need to inject EDID.
Using an external monitor or remote desktop may also help troubleshoot.

I suggested this step because after setting dvmt to 64MBmy system became so native that it always has graphics acceleration. Maybe 32MB will will also work if not applying those fixes.

Yeah, it is possible WhateverGreen is doing some patching we don't really want it to do... (such patching may need to have an option added to turn it off).

Yeah, it is possible WhateverGreen is doing some patching we don't really want it to do... (such patching may need to have an option added to turn it off).

This laptop has got a special case. It requires whatevergreen for the UHD to work(-cdfon, that's the solution I think). And the 8750h UHD 630 Current progress of acceleration is without the whatevergreen but this laptop needs it too. It needs best of both worlds:banghead:

Finding that function doing the not required patching and disabling it might be the solution needed here.

This laptop has got a special case. It requires whatevergreen for the UHD to work(-cdfon, that's the solution I think). And the 8750h UHD 630 Current progress of acceleration is without the whatevergreen but this laptop needs it too. It needs best of both worlds:banghead:

Finding that function doing the not required patching and disabling it might be the solution needed here.

I would start by disabling all WhateverGreen patching except -cdfon.
Then see where things go.
Then, if needed, other default WhateverGreen patches can be enabled one by one until you find the cause of the problem.

Note: CoreDisplayFixup.kext can probably still be used instead of -cdfon/WhateverGreen (but don't use both).

Any suggestions as to what to inject?

You need to extract your own EDID, then inject it with config.plist/Devices/Properties (where other gfx injections happen).
(normal Clover EDID inject doesn't work when using Devices/Properties)
You can get the EDID from your Clover bootlog, or Windows, or...
Clover injects property "AAPL00,override-no-connect", but I've seen also "AAPL00,override-no-edid".
The guide plists have a placeholder for the former (commented out, of course).

It appears there was no effect. I had to enable the 32MB framebuffer patch or else the system KPs at the gIOLockState 3 spot. I wonder if 32mb is just way too small for 4K and I need to mess with the values a little, and also how they got things working on the 9560...

Anyways, I've attached PR files.

normal Clover EDID inject doesn't work when using Devices/Properties
Just a note that I had actually read right over this, so while the data is still there and correct, I eventually set Graphics>EDID>Inject to false. I then tried after setting AAPL00,override-no-connect with no effect, and the same thing happening.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 83
  • photo_2018-10-02_01-00-37.jpg
    photo_2018-10-02_01-00-37.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 82
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back