Contribute
Register

[Solved] UEFI clover boot option gone after BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracked down a solution that didn't require new apps - and this worked for me.

Pre - get your system booted up off the USB and mount the system EFI drive (not the USB EFI drive) - check your directories and copy down the path to the \CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI file (I noticed this differs some amongst varying install procedures on the net). Also, doesn't hurt to open Terminal and run "disk util" - note the /dev/disk# location of the drive that has the EFI installed in it. Now, restart and proceed.
  • Boot into clover off of the USB
  • Start up the Clover EFI shell
  • Pull the USB (saves confusion in the next step)
  • Type "map" (no quotes)
  • Look at the drives and apply some thinking about which one is the drive where your Clover EFI drive is - the drive# from disk util will help if you have several drives/partitions showing up. Once you've got it, note the drive - e.g. mine was "FS2"
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" (no quotes)
  • You'll see each boot entry proceeded with a number. For the love of Pete, don't use any of those - determine the next number up. My highest was 03, so I used 04 in the next step.
  • Type the following to create the boot entry:
    bcfg boot add 04 FS2:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverUEFI
  • In the above step, the path is helped out by having checked my mounted EFI drive on my system. The last part, "CloverUEFI" above is how the boot entry will appear in BIOS - name this as you will.
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" again to be sure your new entry made it.
  • Exit, shut down, pull the USB if you didn't already.
  • Hold down DEL to open BIOS settings - and in my case - CloverUEFI was in the Boot options. I set it as primary, and everything was back to normal with no more need to use the USB.
I tried this method so many times with so many Clover Bootloader versions. But each time I failed for not working shift key of my keyboard. The issue is running for a long time. Don't know why they aren't fixing this.

Finally, I made it with the Windows EasyUEFI tool. Thanks anyway.

My Mainboard Asrock H81Pro BTC REV2.00 too.I finding solution for boot without usb Clover.
Thanks for everyone for Sharing.

My Specification

intel I5 4590 3.30 Ghz
Ram apacer DDR3 1600 8 Gb.
Vga on Board
SSD 128 gb Galax Gamer

I can't tell you how many times I rechecked my configuration, tried to update clover, etc. I could boot from a USB stick or an SSD but not from my nvme drive. I configured the device according to your instructions and finally... SUCCESS!

Pre - get your system booted up off the USB and mount the system EFI drive (not the USB EFI drive) - check your directories and copy down the path to the \CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI file (I noticed this differs some amongst varying install procedures on the net). Also, doesn't hurt to open Terminal and run "disk util" - note the /dev/disk# location of the drive that has the EFI installed in it. Now, restart and proceed.
  • Type "map" (no quotes)
  • Look at the drives and apply some thinking about which one is the drive where your Clover EFI drive is - the drive# from disk util will help if you have several drives/partitions showing up. Once you've got it, note the drive - e.g. mine was "FS2"
  • You'll see each boot entry proceeded with a number. For the love of Pete, don't use any of those - determine the next number up. My highest was 03, so I used 04 in the next step.
  • In the above step, the path is helped out by having checked my mounted EFI drive on my system. The last part, "CloverUEFI" above is how the boot entry will appear in BIOS - name this as you will.
  • Hold down DEL to open BIOS settings - and in my case - CloverUEFI was in the Boot options. I set it as primary, and everything was back to normal with no more need to use the USB.
Thank you so much for this guide !
But just can't figure out which drive is the right one in the "map" list in Clover EFI Shell, and don't want to chose the wrong one.
The right EFI partition is "disk0s1", how can I know which one it is in the Clover Shell list ?
Here attached a picture of the Clover EFI Shell list + the diskutil list.

+ Other question : There is an EFI partition (disk1s1) on my DATA storage disk (not the startup SSD), is that normal ? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thank you for your knowledge !

Mayas-iMac:~ mayakovsky$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Custo SSD 255.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage DATA 2.0 TB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *15.8 GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Install macOS High S... 15.5 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3 (internal, virtual):
0: Apple_HFS DATA +2.0 TB disk3
Logical Volume on disk1s2
7414E936-CCC2-422C-9981-5F33586A6A1F
Unlocked Encrypted

Attachments

• Clover EFI Shell_map.jpg
    Clover EFI Shell_map.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 313
Thank you so much for this guide !
But just can't figure out which drive is the right one in the "map" list in Clover EFI Shell, and don't want to chose the wrong one.
The right EFI partition is "disk0s1", how can I know which one it is in the Clover Shell list ?
Here attached a picture of the Clover EFI Shell list + the diskutil list.

+ Other question : There is an EFI partition (disk1s1) on my DATA storage disk (not the startup SSD), is that normal ? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thank you for your knowledge !

Mayas-iMac:~ mayakovsky$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *256.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Custo SSD 255.2 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk1
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage DATA 2.0 TB disk1s2
3: Apple_Boot Boot OS X 134.2 MB disk1s3
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *15.8 GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS Install macOS High S... 15.5 GB disk2s2
/dev/disk3 (internal, virtual):
0: Apple_HFS DATA +2.0 TB disk3
Logical Volume on disk1s2
7414E936-CCC2-422C-9981-5F33586A6A1F
Unlocked Encrypted
This is probably easy to understand for many of you. Anyone ?

This worked perfectly to add it as a UEFI boot option. But it won't boot past Clover, seems like a graphics issue? Any Ideas?

• Type "map" (no quotes)

SOLVED! I had the same problem. But for me it was not after a BIOS update: In a brightness day, after I powered on the PC, it goes directly to BIOS and ask to Load Optimized Defaults, maybe an energy issue, I don't know. Well, I load optimized defaults and at the same time reviewed the Hackintosh configuration options adjusting some that were modified. However the BIOS was not able to recognize the Clover partition of my SSD. It only recognizes the Windows Boot Manager. I tried to unplug/plug and even change the SATA cable of my SSD.

I managed to solve my issue by reproducing the steps from @chibabah. Thank you VERY MUCH.

Unfortunately I does not have my USB media anymore. So I tried to boot in the built-in UEFI shell of my MSI. For my surprise the MSI built-in UEFI shell does not have the bcfg command.

So I searched a little on the internet and found a Solution from McAfee to create a bootable USB media to access the default EFI shell.

Finally, using the new created USB media, I do reproduce the steps from him and then I was able to boot in my Hackintosh again.

Worked.

This should be a pinned post! Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back