Contribute
Register

[Solved] UEFI clover boot option gone after BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracked down a solution that didn't require new apps - and this worked for me.

Pre - get your system booted up off the USB and mount the system EFI drive (not the USB EFI drive) - check your directories and copy down the path to the \CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI file (I noticed this differs some amongst varying install procedures on the net). Also, doesn't hurt to open Terminal and run "disk util" - note the /dev/disk# location of the drive that has the EFI installed in it. Now, restart and proceed.
  • Boot into clover off of the USB
  • Start up the Clover EFI shell
  • Pull the USB (saves confusion in the next step)
  • Type "map" (no quotes)
  • Look at the drives and apply some thinking about which one is the drive where your Clover EFI drive is - the drive# from disk util will help if you have several drives/partitions showing up. Once you've got it, note the drive - e.g. mine was "FS2"
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" (no quotes)
  • You'll see each boot entry proceeded with a number. For the love of Pete, don't use any of those - determine the next number up. My highest was 03, so I used 04 in the next step.
  • Type the following to create the boot entry:
    bcfg boot add 04 FS2:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverUEFI
  • In the above step, the path is helped out by having checked my mounted EFI drive on my system. The last part, "CloverUEFI" above is how the boot entry will appear in BIOS - name this as you will.
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" again to be sure your new entry made it.
  • Exit, shut down, pull the USB if you didn't already.
  • Hold down DEL to open BIOS settings - and in my case - CloverUEFI was in the Boot options. I set it as primary, and everything was back to normal with no more need to use the USB.

Legend - thank you! ;)

• Type "map" (no quotes)
  • Look at the drives and apply some thinking about which one is the drive where your Clover EFI drive is - the drive# from disk util will help if you have several drives/partitions showing up. Once you've got it, note the drive - e.g. mine was "FS2"

The result of "map" goes so fast that I can't figure the drive#
FS0 (if it exists), FS1 and FS2 are hidden at the top of the screen.

However, I have only one 1 partition SSD plugged to my MB.

I actually ran a diskutil info, I get this :
/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *240.1 GB disk0
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 239.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: APFS Container Scheme - +239.8 GB disk1
Physical Store disk0s2
1: APFS Volume Mojave 13.4 GB disk1s1
2: APFS Volume Preboot 46.4 MB disk1s2
3: APFS Volume Recovery 512.8 MB disk1s3
4: APFS Volume VM 20.5 KB disk1s4

Any tip on what commands I should use?

Ever since I did a clean install too high sierra or Mojave, my 4 tb Western digital drive doesn't mount (or seen in disk utility) if restart the hackintosh. If I turn it off and turn it on, the drive shows up as normal. Would the first post this this issue? On 10.12.6 everything worked fine for 2 years

I asked my buddy and he's having the same issue with his 8 tb drive of a z270 board running high sierra

Pre - get your system booted up off the USB and mount the system EFI drive (not the USB EFI drive) - check your directories and copy down the path to the \CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI file (I noticed this differs some amongst varying install procedures on the net). Also, doesn't hurt to open Terminal and run "disk util" - note the /dev/disk# location of the drive that has the EFI installed in it. Now, restart and proceed.
  • Type "map" (no quotes)
  • You'll see each boot entry proceeded with a number. For the love of Pete, don't use any of those - determine the next number up. My highest was 03, so I used 04 in the next step.
  • In the above step, the path is helped out by having checked my mounted EFI drive on my system. The last part, "CloverUEFI" above is how the boot entry will appear in BIOS - name this as you will.
  • Hold down DEL to open BIOS settings - and in my case - CloverUEFI was in the Boot options. I set it as primary, and everything was back to normal with no more need to use the USB.

@chibabah: i ran into exactly the same problem after updating my Hackintosh's BIOS. Thank you for your sharing. It saved me tons of time and unnecessary worries!

• Type "map" (no quotes)

Thanks a lot, you saved my day! I was looking for help in the wrong place, but upon further research I found this thread. And just in case it helps someone in the future, in other threads people reported being unable to use the shift key in the Clover shell, preventing them to type a colon. That was my case a few minutes ago. It seems it's an issue in recent Clover versions (I write this in December 2018). I installed an older Clover build (r4411) to a usb stick and it did the trick.

@JenVee, please update your profile (account details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back