Contribute
Register

[Solved] UEFI clover boot option gone after BIOS update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tracked down a solution that didn't require new apps - and this worked for me.
This is just what I needed, thank you very much

Pre - get your system booted up off the USB and mount the system EFI drive (not the USB EFI drive) - check your directories and copy down the path to the \CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI file (I noticed this differs some amongst varying install procedures on the net). Also, doesn't hurt to open Terminal and run "disk util" - note the /dev/disk# location of the drive that has the EFI installed in it. Now, restart and proceed.
  • Boot into clover off of the USB
  • Start up the Clover EFI shell
  • Pull the USB (saves confusion in the next step)
  • Type "map" (no quotes)
  • Look at the drives and apply some thinking about which one is the drive where your Clover EFI drive is - the drive# from disk util will help if you have several drives/partitions showing up. Once you've got it, note the drive - e.g. mine was "FS2"
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" (no quotes)
  • You'll see each boot entry proceeded with a number. For the love of Pete, don't use any of those - determine the next number up. My highest was 03, so I used 04 in the next step.
  • Type the following to create the boot entry:
    bcfg boot add 04 FS2:\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI CloverUEFI
  • In the above step, the path is helped out by having checked my mounted EFI drive on my system. The last part, "CloverUEFI" above is how the boot entry will appear in BIOS - name this as you will.
  • Type "bcfg boot dump" again to be sure your new entry made it.
  • Exit, shut down, pull the USB if you didn't already.
  • Hold down DEL to open BIOS settings - and in my case - CloverUEFI was in the Boot options. I set it as primary, and everything was back to normal with no more need to use the USB.

Thank you! it worked

Pre - get your system booted up off the USB and mount the system EFI drive (not the USB EFI drive) - check your directories and copy down the path to the \CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI file (I noticed this differs some amongst varying install procedures on the net). Also, doesn't hurt to open Terminal and run "disk util" - note the /dev/disk# location of the drive that has the EFI installed in it. Now, restart and proceed.
  • Type "map" (no quotes)
  • Look at the drives and apply some thinking about which one is the drive where your Clover EFI drive is - the drive# from disk util will help if you have several drives/partitions showing up. Once you've got it, note the drive - e.g. mine was "FS2"
  • You'll see each boot entry proceeded with a number. For the love of Pete, don't use any of those - determine the next number up. My highest was 03, so I used 04 in the next step.
  • In the above step, the path is helped out by having checked my mounted EFI drive on my system. The last part, "CloverUEFI" above is how the boot entry will appear in BIOS - name this as you will.
  • Hold down DEL to open BIOS settings - and in my case - CloverUEFI was in the Boot options. I set it as primary, and everything was back to normal with no more need to use the USB.

BLESS YOU CHILD!!! I just reached the end of an all nighter... and you were my savior.

Somehow a blackout that ended at 1 AM made my GPU stop working, my Windows stop booting, and my Clover boot entry magically disappear... and somehow moving/unplugging/replugging hardware fixed the first 2 at random points throughout the night and you gave me the solution for the last step!

Thank you so much! This worked for me.

Eh, I have a problem. I installed the new clover to my EFI that is used to boot the system, but after the reboot, I lost the booting drive in Clover Boot Options. I still can boot from the Backup Drive I made some time ago, but its slow (HDD). My normal drive is a Fusion Drive with SSD+HDD. Its CoreStorage.

Can someone please help me on this?

EDIT: I discovered, that when I use an older CLOVER from a USB Unibeast installer, the Volume is detected and I can boot....

Last edited:
Following fixing a different issue, where Clover was making a new UEFI boot drive every time I restarted (causing 20+ boot drives in bios), my issues have gone the other way.

I updated BIOS to F20, and no longer see any UEFI drives to go to clover in the BIOS setup - only the two drives in the system. I have gone back and made the basic adjustments to the bios (UEFI enabled, etc), and I can still launch clover via a USB - it's just the onboard clover option that seems to have gone missing. Is there a way to restore it?
Hey there!
So I would quantify myself as a user and not a programmer. Had my system running with exception to the fact that ANYTIME ANY USB device other than a keyboard was plugged in, I would get the dreaded CIRCLE WITH THE LINE no-sign. USB would work once the system was booted, but thats no way to live (having to unplug and plug in all my USB devices every time I boot) I read somewhere that a BIOS flash to the newest version would help. Now I have no clover bootload screen.

Motherboard is MSI z370 Pro A
i8700
Gskill 16gb
EVGA 1080ti

I've tried to load from the USB bootdrive I created, but it crashes once I select the UEFI partition with the MACOS installed.

Any advice? This is turning me off the Hackintosh unfortunately. It's been extremely difficult getting any stability, and now the BIOS update negates the Clover install. Any help is appreciated.

• Type "map" (no quotes)

Thank you so much. This solved my issue when I upgraded from an SSD drive to an NVME drive.

• Type "map" (no quotes)
Life-saver! Thanks Sooo much!

• Type "map" (no quotes)

You completely saved my a$s with this guide, this should be stickied somewhere. Any idea why the entry disappears, or why reinstalling Clover doesn't add it? Never had this happen before. I'm assuming it's Windows trying to auto-repair itself that wiped the entry in the first place. (Windows was suddenly blue screening right before I lost the Clover entry, dual boot on 2 separate drives)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back