Contribute
Register

[solved] Troubleshooting Broadcom BCM94352z M.2 card on Asus Rog751 Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
BIOS PXE stuff is known to cause issues with OS X.

WiFi is showing as not enabled as there is no WiFi hardware (refer to lspci output).
So is there nothing I can do to get the wifi card to work?

So is there nothing I can do to get the wifi card to work?

You should verify that the WiFi hardware is working by putting it into a laptop (or desktop) known not to have a BIOS whitelist.

If it is caused by a BIOS whitelist implementation, you'll need to research patching BIOS.

You should verify that the WiFi hardware is working by putting it into a laptop (or desktop) known not to have a BIOS whitelist.

If it is caused by a BIOS whitelist implementation, you'll need to research patching BIOS.
Whats the best research for this kind of bios patch? I have looked in the past and its hard to find similar bios examples to the one my Asus utilizes. I dont have any other hardware to test an M.2 card on so Im just going to go ahead with bios patching and hope it works.

Whats the best research for this kind of bios patch? I have looked in the past and its hard to find similar bios examples to the one my Asus utilizes. I dont have any other hardware to test an M.2 card on so Im just going to go ahead with bios patching and hope it works.

Google might bring you to sites like bios-mods.com (or others).

Google might bring you to sites like bios-mods.com (or others).
After looking for some information about bios mods for asus I ran into this site (http://goughlui.com/2014/08/02/laptop-wireless-card-whitelists-an-upgrade-nightmare/), which agreed that Asus laptops do not tend to have whitelists. I also had trouble finding any resources specifically related to bios mods for asus laptops which seems to confirm that in addition to you. Consequently, I feel at an impasse, as if bios is not the issue and the wifi card is not the issue, I have no idea whats going on...

After looking for some information about bios mods for asus I ran into this site (http://goughlui.com/2014/08/02/laptop-wireless-card-whitelists-an-upgrade-nightmare/), which agreed that Asus laptops do not tend to have whitelists. I also had trouble finding any resources specifically related to bios mods for asus laptops which seems to confirm that in addition to you. Consequently, I feel at an impasse, as if bios is not the issue and the wifi card is not the issue, I have no idea whats going on...

Most ASUS laptops do not have a WiFi whitelist.

Second time suggesting: Install your WiFi card in a laptop (or desktop computer) known to not have a whitelist to verify the hardware is not defective.

I decided to purchase another Broadcom card as it seemed extremely unlikely I could get 3 defective in a row, which would rule out the card being the issue itself. Low and behold, it kind of worked. Once I installed it and booted into Windows 10, wifi settings were enabled and it started searching for networks, however once it found them and tried to connect it kept disconnecting. Upon looking at the wifi adapter in the settings I could see the adapter switching between enabled/connected to not connected. I tried adjusting the seating of the wifi card and antenna, but it continues to have issues remaining active for more than a few seconds. I then switched to Yosemite and strangely enough working flawlessly, no disconnect, perfectly fine. I then decided to switch the broadcom card for the one that was not working previously and rebooted into Yosemite to see its also working flawlessly. The only conclusion I can come to is that once Windows detected the Broadcom card, it transferred the driver information for Yosemite to run it. This similarly occurs with Thunderbolt devices. If I plug them in and boot into Windows then Yosemite, they mount. However if I go straight into Yosemite they will not show up at all. Something is clearly still off on the Windows side. Any ideas on how to get a stable connection there? Im going to try and see if there are any driver updates that might help.

As for why the new broadcom card got it working in Mac OS even though both cards work now, the reason actually comes down to the screw that holds the card down. Apparently if you screw it all the way down, the card or seating disconnects from the board. I left the screw out while testing the new card for easy removal if it didnt work, and luckily stumbled onto what was causing the issue to begin with...

Last edited:
Also, does thunderbolt work in Yosemite on Asus motherboards? Is it supported in El Capitan and what about USB C?
Currently my build registers no thunderbolt information whatsoever, although as mentioned the port clearly provides power and can mount drives, but the throughput is completely off and very slow more like USB 2.0...Where can I find information about Thunderbolt?

Lastly, audio is still an issue. I followed the instructions in the guide, but none of the drivers seem to be working. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back