Contribute
Register

[solved] Troubleshooting Broadcom BCM94352z M.2 card on Asus Rog751 Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is what I mentioned in the thread. Windows does not detect the wifi card as well and I have no idea how to get the drivers working, read the end of the original post. Do you know where I can find drivers for this card and how to install it on windows? I have Windows 10 and all my other specs are listed so it should be more straight forward to walk me through if you know how to install it. Its in the computer, but not detected in either OS.

Possibles:
- WiFi card is defective
- WiFi slot on the motherboard is defective
- WiFi card is installed incorrectly
- BIOS is disabling the WiFi card

Where is the ACPI wrong? It lists all the correct files and I ran the power management script to generate the DSDT.aml and added that in.

ACPI patching is separate from power management SSDT.

I checked for presence of an "OS Check Fix" in your ACPI/patched/DSDT.aml and didn't find one. It is one of the identified "Common Patches" in my guide. I didn't check for any others.

Can you elaborate on bios disabling the card? I have read about this but the bios in Asus computers is not terribly robust in terms of options and I cannot find anything related to wifi. What type of option should I be searching for?

When I installed the wifi card, I had to attach two wires to it. What is the appropriate order? Attached is the original wifi card labeled main and aux for the white and black wires. However as you can see from the amazon images here of the matching replacement broadcom card, its only labeled JO, J1 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JGFA50U/?tag=tonymacx86com-20). Does black just go where the black arrow is and white where the white arrow indicates? Im pretty sure I have tried it both ways to no avail in windows. Lastly, assuming its installed correctly and compatible, is windows just supposed to detect it? I automatically expect nothing to be plug and play with windows, but requiring drivers and firmware, which for this card I have not been able to track down or install.

Attachments

• 20160419_144434.jpg
    20160419_144434.jpg
    428.8 KB · Views: 3,346
Can you elaborate on bios disabling the card? I have read about this but the bios in Asus computers is not terribly robust in terms of options and I cannot find anything related to wifi. What type of option should I be searching for?

ASUS does not usually have a whitelist, but if it did, you would likely get an error message during BIOS POST.

When I installed the wifi card, I had to attach two wires to it. What is the appropriate order? Attached is the original wifi card labeled main and aux for the white and black wires.

Two wires... two possibilities. Not difficult to try both.
But the antenna leads will not affect the card being detected on the PCI bus.

... to no avail in windows. Lastly, assuming its installed correctly and compatible, is windows just supposed to detect it? I automatically expect nothing to be plug and play with windows, but requiring drivers and firmware, which for this card I have not been able to track down or install.

Windows 10 will automatically detect it and find drivers for it. But if it is not on the PCI bus, for all practical purposes, the WiFi hardware is simply not there.

Chances are your WiFi hardware is defective. You could try it in another laptop to verify.

I just ordered another one off amazon that arrives Monday. Unfortunately I dont have another computer that matches the M.2 slot, so buying another seems the only way to verify if its the wifi card itself. I know the intel wifi card works fine, so the PCI bus is not the problem.

ASUS does not usually have a whitelist, but if it did, you would likely get an error message during BIOS POST.

Two wires... two possibilities. Not difficult to try both.
But the antenna leads will not affect the card being detected on the PCI bus.

Windows 10 will automatically detect it and find drivers for it. But if it is not on the PCI bus, for all practical purposes, the WiFi hardware is simply not there.

Chances are your WiFi hardware is defective. You could try it in another laptop to verify.

Got the new wifi card, still nothing in Windows. I reinstalled the Intel Dual Wifi card and it registered and worked fine, but no recognition from the Broadcom cards. Any thoughts?

Got the new wifi card, still nothing in Windows. I reinstalled the Intel Dual Wifi card and it registered and worked fine, but no recognition from the Broadcom cards. Any thoughts?

Probably a BIOS issue. You should check that the device is on the PCIe bus. Check output of 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal.

I havent had a chance to boot up in Linux, but here is my output from ioreg -l | grep PCI, which works from inside mac os. Let me know if it tells you anything.

In further developments, while replacing the wifi card again, the MHF4 female connector of the antenna, from the computer, that clips onto the wifi card, seems to have become warped. Consequently the metal of the female MHF4 connector will not snap onto any of the male ends on the wifi card. The connector is shown here (http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1uQEa...PEX-U-FL-MHF4-to-IPX-MHF4-RF-0-81mm-cable.jpg) and here (http://www.wellshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ipex-series-mhf4.jpg) for reference. Its quite tiny, but I purchase a replacement antenna cable with the connector. Do you know the best way to replace it? Should I clip the wire and just twist the new one to attach it, or can I physically remove the mhf4 clip at the end of the wire and just replace that? Or will neither of these work?

Attachments

• ioreg_l_grep_PCI.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 100
I havent had a chance to boot up in Linux, but here is my output from ioreg -l | grep PCI, which works from inside mac os. Let me know if it tells you anything.

Not helpful.

In further developments, while replacing the wifi card again, the MHF4 female connector of the antenna, from the computer, that clips onto the wifi card, seems to have become warped. Consequently the metal of the female MHF4 connector will not snap onto any of the male ends on the wifi card. The connector is shown here (http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1uQEa...PEX-U-FL-MHF4-to-IPX-MHF4-RF-0-81mm-cable.jpg) and here (http://www.wellshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/ipex-series-mhf4.jpg) for reference. Its quite tiny, but I purchase a replacement antenna cable with the connector. Do you know the best way to replace it? Should I clip the wire and just twist the new one to attach it, or can I physically remove the mhf4 clip at the end of the wire and just replace that? Or will neither of these work?

The (female) coax connectors on the antenna just press onto the (male) connectors on the WiFi card. Be sure they are aligned correctly before pressing. The connectors are very small, so it is a bit difficult... evidently made for people with small hands and good eyes.

Not helpful.

The (female) coax connectors on the antenna just press onto the (male) connectors on the WiFi card. Be sure they are aligned correctly before pressing. The connectors are very small, so it is a bit difficult... evidently made for people with small hands and good eyes.
I spent a good hour trying to get it to fit after switching several wifi cards. I think the physical cylindrical shell of the female end is bent so it will not wrap around the male end and its so small its hard to bend back into position...

I spent a good hour trying to get it to fit after switching several wifi cards. I think the physical cylindrical shell of the female end is bent so it will not wrap around the male end and its so small its hard to bend back into position...

Magnifier and small high quality tweezers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back