Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> [SOLVED] Trouble booting from installed macOS without USB drive Clover loader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 7010
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Color Classic
  2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Plus
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
  8. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Folks:
I'm a Newbie trying my first Hackintosh. I've followed the guide closely I think. I've successfully installed Mojave 10.14.4 on a Dell Optiplex 7010 with onboard HD 4000 graphics and can UEFI boot into it from the Unibeast 9.1.0-8 created installer's Clover boot manager. However, if I try to boot without the Unibeast thumb drive and instead use the Clover 2.4 boot manager on my drive then it takes a very long time then hangs at the Apple loading progress bar. I've enabled verbose loading and it scrolls through lots before switching to the Apple loading graphic.

I'm afraid I don't have a clear understanding of what gets loaded from where and when (or under what circumstances).I see a slightly different assortment of KEXTs installed in the EFI partition of the boot drive, the EFI partition of the USB installer and the /Library/Extensions folder on the boot drive. Should they all match? Do some get used and some not?

What should I be doing to be able to boot directly into the installed system on the internal boot drive?
Thank you for reading.
- Scottie

Folks:
I'm a Newbie trying my first Hackintosh. I've followed the guide closely I think. I've successfully installed Mojave 10.14.4 on a Dell Optiplex 7010 with onboard HD 4000 graphics and can UEFI boot into it from the Unibeast 9.1.0-8 created installer's Clover boot manager. However, if I try to boot without the Unibeast thumb drive and instead use the Clover 2.4 boot manager on my drive then it takes a very long time then hangs at the Apple loading progress bar. I've enabled verbose loading and it scrolls through lots before switching to the Apple loading graphic.

I'm afraid I don't have a clear understanding of what gets loaded from where and when (or under what circumstances).I see a slightly different assortment of KEXTs installed in the EFI partition of the boot drive, the EFI partition of the USB installer and the /Library/Extensions folder on the boot drive. Should they all match? Do some get used and some not?

What should I be doing to be able to boot directly into the installed system on the internal boot drive?
Thank you for reading.
- Scottie
  • Connect the USB Installer you used to Install macOS Mojave 10.14.4 on the hard drive.
  • Reboot and press the <F12> key to Open the Boot Menu Options for your Dell Optiplex 7010.
  • Select your macOSUSB Installer flash drive to boot and reach Clover Boot Manager(CBM).
  • At Clover Boot Manager switch to your macOS Mojave System Disk and boot.
  • With the help of your USB Installer Flash disk that has a GOOD EFI with Good CLOVER , the macOS Mojave System Disk must boot and reach its desktop.
  • Once you are on the Mojave Desktop, you should Copy and Paste the Good EFI Folder from the hidden EFI Partition of USB Installer after Deleting existing Bad EFI Folder from the hidden EFI Partition of the MacOSMojave HDD/SSD.
  • To unhide and mount hidden EFI partitions you need to download and launch a tool like Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter
  • You can find and use the bulleted steps from the Post-> #4 to "Mount" EFI Partition from USB Installer and access its EFI>CLOVER Filetree using Clover Configurator Global .
  • Same steps can be used to Mount EFI Partition of Mojave HDD also if you select Mojave Disk's EFI Partition instead of the EFI Partition of Mojave USB Installer in CCG

However, if I try to boot without the Unibeast thumb drive and instead use the Clover 2.4 boot manager on my drive then it takes a very long time then hangs at the Apple loading progress bar.
I had put a note in the 7010 guide about RehabMan's older version of Clover and problems with 10.14.4. You may have missed that. So updating Clover on the EFI partition of your boot drive should do the trick. I believe the newest is r4920.
Here's the selections to make when you run the installer:
AudioDxe-64 is optional. You can uncheck that.

Last edited:
  • Connect the USB Installer you used to Install macOS Mojave 10.14.4 on the hard drive.
  • Reboot and press the <F12> key to Open the Boot Menu Options for your Dell Optiplex 7010.
  • Select your macOSUSB Installer flash drive to boot and reach Clover Boot Manager(CBM).
  • At Clover Boot Manager switch to your macOS Mojave System Disk and boot.
  • With the help of your USB Installer Flash disk that has a GOOD EFI with Good CLOVER , the macOS Mojave System Disk must boot and reach its desktop.
  • Once you are on the Mojave Desktop, you should Copy and Paste the Good EFI Folder from the hidden EFI Partition of USB Installer after Deleting existing Bad EFI Folder from the hidden EFI Partition of the MacOSMojave HDD/SSD.
  • To unhide and mount hidden EFI partitions you need to download and launch a tool like Clover Configurator or EFI Mounter
  • You can find and use the bulleted steps from the Post-> #4 to "Mount" EFI Partition from USB Installer and access its EFI>CLOVER Filetree using Clover Configurator Global .
  • Same steps can be used to Mount EFI Partition of Mojave HDD also if you select Mojave Disk's EFI Partition instead of the EFI Partition of Mojave USB Installer in CCG
Thanks very much. While I was waiting for replies the other day, I looked over the two EFI partitions to see how they differed and saw they don't match at all. Instead of doing a full swap as you've suggested here, I added some from the working to the not-working set. I also saw that the KEXTs I expected to see in the /L/E/ weren't there despite my installing with KextBeast earlier. So I manually installed the KEXTs there and ran the KextUtility to be sure their permissions were set correctly. That seems to have done it and now it boots happily directly from the on-board Clover and I also have working sound in/out and some video artifacts have gone too! All good.
I also re-puposed a Smartrg W100 WiFi repeater I had laying around, into a bridge to give me wifi as I'm too far from EN to cable. Now I'll get a BT dongle to complete the setup. Thanks again.

Thanks very much. While I was waiting for replies the other day, I looked over the two EFI partitions to see how they differed and saw they don't match at all. Instead of doing a full swap as you've suggested here, I added some from the working to the not-working set. I also saw that the KEXTs I expected to see in the /L/E/ weren't there despite my installing with KextBeast earlier. So I manually installed the KEXTs there and ran the KextUtility to be sure their permissions were set correctly. That seems to have done it and now it boots happily directly from the on-board Clover and I also have working sound in/out and some video artifacts have gone too! All good.
I also re-puposed a Smartrg W100 WiFi repeater I had laying around, into a bridge to give me wifi as I'm too far from EN to cable. Now I'll get a BT dongle to complete the setup. Thanks again.
  • Great.
  • Congrats :clap:
  • Thank you for posting details of how you fixed the problem. This post can help others facing the same issue.
  • Please Prefix the Title of your post [SOLVED] to find it on search engines.

I had put a note in the 7010 guide about RehabMan's older version of Clover and problems with 10.14.4. You may have missed that. So updating Clover on the EFI partition of your boot drive should do the trick. I believe the newest is r4920.
Here's the selections to make when you run the installer:
AudioDxe-64 is optional. You can uncheck that.
View attachment 402332
@trs96 Thanks for your suggestion. I did read your note and so used the newer r4920 version BUT I didn't inspect all the check boxes so I'll go back and run that again and make sure I've got them. See my reply to @cmn699 in the above posting to see the other details of my progress. I've got a question about a video card but for clarity I think I should make a new thread for it.
- Scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back