Contribute
Register

[solved] Trackpad preference pane is blank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does work for me too.
Thanks

No works for me. It's possible fix permissions?

Another success report:

Extracted the prefpane from my old Yosemite installer, copied it to Sierra and it works perfectly.

Function keys still don't work. (another known issue)

EDIT: Although prefpane works, it needs to be opened after every boot to load the settings.

I hope this gets a fix.
I made a workaround for this that I' happy to share. I thought of creating an AppleScript to:
  1. Silently (not visible) Open Trackpad Prefpan in System Preferences and uncheck "Clicking"
  2. Close System Preferences
  3. Silently (not visible) Re-open Trackpad Prefpan in System Preferences and check "Clicking", "Dragging", "Use two finger ...", "Allow horizontal scrolling" and "Tap trackpad using two fingers ..."
  4. Close System Preferences again
Why do steps 1 & 2? because at least on my machine after boot the prefpan does not show all controls. Unchecking "Clicking" and reopening the prefpan restore all the controls.

Here's the script:
Code:
quit application "System Preferences"
delay 0.25

tell application "System Preferences"
    --activate
    set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.trackpad"
    tell application "System Events" to tell process "System Preferences"
        repeat until exists window "Trackpad"
        end repeat
        tell window "Trackpad"
            set cbClicking to checkbox "Clicking" of group 1 of window "Trackpad" of application process "System Preferences" of application "System Events"
            tell cbClicking
                if (its value as boolean) then click cbClicking
            end tell
        end tell
    end tell
end tell

delay 0.25
delay 0.25

tell application "System Preferences"
    --activate
    set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.trackpad"
    tell application "System Events" to tell process "System Preferences"
        repeat until exists window "Trackpad"
        end repeat
        tell window "Trackpad"
            set cbClicking to checkbox "Use two fingers to scroll" of group 2 of window "Trackpad" of application process "System Preferences" of application "System Events"
            tell cbClicking
                if not (its value as boolean) then click cbClicking
            end tell

set cbClicking to checkbox "Allow horizontal scrolling" of group 2 of window "Trackpad" of application process "System Preferences" of application "System Events"
            tell cbClicking
            end tell

set cbClicking to checkbox "Clicking" of group 1 of window "Trackpad" of application process "System Preferences" of application "System Events"
            tell cbClicking
            end tell

set cbClicking to checkbox "Dragging" of group 1 of window "Trackpad" of application process "System Preferences" of application "System Events"
            tell cbClicking
            end tell

set cbClicking to checkbox 4 of group 1 of window "Trackpad" of application process "System Preferences" of application "System Events"
            tell cbClicking
            end tell
        end tell
    end tell
end tell
delay 0.25

This code should be pasted into AppleScript then export the document to an Application (signing it is recommended). The resulting application should then be added to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy tab > Accessibility; to allow it to run. Now after boot we can run this app once to restore trackpad settings. Better yet is to add the app to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items; so it runs automatically on login.

This could look as a lot of work but actually it is very simple to use and work very well; until better solutions are found.

This could look as a lot of work but actually it is very simple to use and work very well; until better solutions are found.

The better workaround is to create a LaunchDaemon that runs the few 'ioio' commands required to change the settings.

ioio is available on my github.

Last edited:
The better workaround is to create a LaunchDaemon that runs the few 'ioio' commands required to change the settings.

ioio is available on my github.
This would change the settings just fine but the prefpane will not read the changes. Yes we care for the effect in the first place but any way to sync the changes made by ioio with the prefpane? like a force reread ?

This would change the settings just fine but the prefpane will not read the changes. Yes we care for the effect in the first place but any way to sync the changes made by ioio with the prefpane? like a force reread ?

Since the prefpane is broken and can't be used, it really doesn't matter.

Since the prefpane is broken and can't be used, it really doesn't matter.
But it's not. I mean when I replaced with 10.11 one it does work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back