Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I have the Z170-HD3 MB running the latest version of Sierra.

I'm looking to add the Gigabyte GC Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 addon-card so that the Apollo Twin (Audio Interface) can operate properly.

1. Has anyone done this addition successfully yet?
2. Will this card work with my Z170-HD3?
3. What else do I need to make things work with the Thunderbolt Apollo Twin?
4. Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you

Do you have an adapter to go from thunderbolt 2 to 3 for your Apollo twin to connect to the Alpine Ridge?

How are you plugging the Apollo twin to the Alpine ridge? does your Apollo twin have a thunderbolt 3 connection? Im asking cause I have the Apollo silver , its thunder bolt (1 or 2) and im wondering if i plug it into the DP port on the Alpine Ridge, will it read. Id rather not have to get a thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.

I got the apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and it works like a dream. Not a single glitch. Thunderbolt 3 has a different connection from Thunderbolt 2. As far as I know, without the adapter you're SOL.

I hope this helps.

I got the apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter and it works like a dream. Not a single glitch. Thunderbolt 3 has a different connection from Thunderbolt 2. As far as I know, without the adapter you're SOL.

I hope this helps.

Thanks , Also did you have to install any drivers on the ac side to get it to read the Alpine Ridge? I don't know I Mac can see mine.

Update bios
Install windows
Download Alpine Ridge driver/software and install to activate Thunderbolt
Restart then change settings for Alpine Ridge in bios (as muntioned in previous post
----
Make sure your Apollo is turned off until bios posts (when it beeps) then turn it on.

You're good to go from there

Update bios
Install windows
Download Alpine Ridge driver/software and install to activate Thunderbolt
Restart then change settings for Alpine Ridge in bios (as muntioned in previous post
----
Make sure your Apollo is turned off until bios posts (when it beeps) then turn it on.

You're good to go from there
Hey man! Are you satisfied with your build? I’m currently looking to build a desktop to go with my UAD Apollo Twin Duo mkii

Hey man! Are you satisfied with your build? I’m currently looking to build a desktop to go with my UAD Apollo Twin Duo mkii
Yes. Works great still!

Yes. Works great still!

Awesome Since I’m starting from scratch, would you recommend using another combo of components to help it run smoother without the workarounds you had to do? Or would you recommend me to purchase your current setup?

Awesome Since I’m starting from scratch, would you recommend using another combo of components to help it run smoother without the workarounds you had to do? Or would you recommend me to purchase your current setup?
This is a solid setup for the price point. I'm now running an X299 setup with a 12 core i9 but that maybe too much of a system for your needs. IT all depends on what your needs are.

This is a solid setup for the price point. I'm now running an X299 setup with a 12 core i9 but that maybe too much of a system for your needs. IT all depends on what your needs are.

Hi there, I just came across your thread.

How's your Apollo rig treating your with the X299? Which DAW are you using?

I have a similar build requirement using the Apollo 8 Quad via Thunderbolt 2, Pro Tools 2018.12.x, Vienna Ensemble Pro Server 7, on Mojave. I clocked my 64GB of RAM from 2400 to 2666.

Hi there, I just came across your thread.

How's your Apollo rig treating your with the X299? Which DAW are you using?

I have a similar build requirement using the Apollo 8 Quad via Thunderbolt 2, Pro Tools 2018.12.x, Vienna Ensemble Pro Server 7, on Mojave. I clocked my 64GB of RAM from 2400 to 2666.
I have no issues. Runs great with Logic and Reason. So, I highly recommend my setup to anyone wanting the same setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back