Contribute
Register

[Solved] The operation can't be completed because the original item for "boo" can't be found

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H77N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i3-3225
Graphics
Intel Onboard Graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

I'm creating a thread about a problem I'm having but I don't really know if it is because I'm using a hacktintosh or not.

The symptom is rather simple. When I try to access to a shared folder on a hackintosh from my laptop (visible under the shared section in the left column of the finder), I get the following error once in a while:
The operation can't be completed because the original item for "boo" can't be found

The fix consists in relaunching the finder and I'm good for a few times before it happens again. It has started to happen since I upgraded to El Capitan when it initially came out. I have tried the followings:
- repair the permissions on both computers
- change the owner of the shared folders
- do a clean install of El Capitan on both computers
- play with the SMB and AFP sharing permission
Nothing has fixed the problem. What really puzzles me is that the problem is not constant and just restarting the finder fixes the problem, for a while.

Please let me know if anybody has an idea.

Thanks all!

Pretty sure this is an Apple bug. I've seen this issue starting with El Capitan on my CustoMac systems and my real MBP. The solution for now is to select the shared drive or folder from the Network area in Menubar

Finder > Go > Network

Then select your share again. Once you reselect it it will work in sidebar.

Pretty sure this is an Apple bug. I've seen this issue starting with El Capitan on my CustoMac systems and my real MBP. The solution for now is to select the shared drive or folder from the Network area in Menubar

Finder > Go > Network

Then select your share again. Once you reselect it it will work in sidebar.

Thank for you answer. I should have mentioned that I've done that too. It actually does the same thing as relaunching the finder, meaning it works again for a while and then the issue shows up again. It is a bit annoying :crazy:

Maybe I should also add that I'm asked my username/password pretty often to login on the shared folder whereas they are saved in my keychain. As a matter of fact, I just need to click on "OK" since the login box is always filled out.

If it's a bug, I guess we can't really do much except waiting for an update, right?

I know this thread is quite old, but I stumbled upon it. I found that have ipv6 active makes the problem more frequent. Set ipv6 to "link local only".

OMG!! Thank you so much for sharing this!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This action indeed fixed the problem. I can't I believe I spent so much time uninstalling/reinstalling OS X so many times :banghead:

It's working like a charm and it is great :headbang::headbang::clap::clap:

Thanks antieatingactivist!! This was the fix for me as well!

Thank for you answer. I should have mentioned that I've done that too. It actually does the same thing as relaunching the finder, meaning it works again for a while and then the issue shows up again. It is a bit annoying :crazy:

Maybe I should also add that I'm asked my username/password pretty often to login on the shared folder whereas they are saved in my keychain. As a matter of fact, I just need to click on "OK" since the login box is always filled out.

If it's a bug, I guess we can't really do much except waiting for an update, right?

Have you tried adding the file share as a start up item? You manually mount the item, then open log in items in users so you can drag the icon for the share from the desktop to the startup items window. Then when you log it will mount it, rather than connecting only when you access it dynamically.

Of course the bad part is that it will keep remounting the share so will accumulate them over time until you restart. This may be one of those rare areas where Apple get's clobbered by Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back