Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] The Dreaded Asus Z10PE-D8 WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have surge protection but no UPS, being a hobbyist now I don´t have one...Martin
If you have data to protect you need one, whether professional or hobbyist. Unless, of course, you have infinite time to continue to rebuild after each power glitch? I have Liebert nPower desktop unit with 2 additional battery boxes which provides surge protection and UPS power + the surge protectors at each computerr/display setup just in case and because I need multiple outlets and the surge protector is the easiest way to get them.

The Z10PE-D8 WS has fallen, finally got the Clover bootloader to go all the way, then find out my lowly little 200Gb HDD can´t be formatted to OS X Extended Journaled .... Gutted!

Just backing up some of my old 3D stuff and that drive will do as a temp install drive, then it´s time to try and get the NVMe drive to try and play

The feelings still great when you get to that install screen :p

Having problems with both my graphics cards - GTX660Ti and also the Radeon R9 285, both just boot to black screen and the verbose output. I know the Radeon is out the question because of needing onboard cpu graphics and since Xeons don´t do that thereś no point in pushing that one. The Nvidia I assume is just a DSDT or SSDT edit away.

The good news is that the Z10 has gone full UEFI mode with no CSM support, so i ave done a new ACPI tables grab using Clover F4 method, and I am now stumped because I got a result like this ...
Screenshot from 2016-09-23 11-52-28.png

I wasn´t surprised by the multi SSDT tables since that treated me to that experience when in legacy mode. Thew surprise is the multi DSDT entries. Does anybody know if i have to keep them as separates or is it a combine all into one again ?

Martin

Having problems with both my graphics cards - GTX660Ti and also the Radeon R9 285, both just boot to black screen

I had a similar problem with a GT 630 the other day, a little research suggested to change the system definition.
Switched from iMac12,2 to iMac13,1 and it just worked, no further action required.

With your hardware though YMMV.

I had a similar problem with a GT 630 the other day, a little research suggested to change the system definition.
Switched from iMac12,2 to iMac13,1 and it just worked, no further action required.

It´s a tad confusing for sure ...
Z9 660Ti PCIe 5 UEFI + CSM with macOS Sierra = No issues
Z10 As above with or without CSM = Fail

Will probably end up doing the PCIe ladder climb again just to see if it makes a difference. Went with a new 6,1 SMBios as it worked on Z9, but on here with 2011v4 CPUś having to spoof as 0x000306F0 so would kind of make sense to find alternative Broadwell definition.

Oh what a tangled web we weave when at first we step out to deceive :)

Martin

This snippet from nvidia drivers page reveals why i would say
This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010) users.

BETA support is for iMac 14,2 / 14,3 (2013), iMac 13,1 / 13,2 (2012) and MacBook Pro 11,3 (2013), MacBook Pro 10,1 (2012), and MacBook Pro 9,1 (2012) users.

Martin

iMac 14,2 works here - Greetings from the Z10PE-D8 WS running macOS Sierra 10.12
Thanks for the tip P1LGRIM :)

Martin

iMac 14,2 works here - Greetings from the Z10PE-D8 WS running macOS Sierra 10.12
Thanks for the tip P1LGRIM :)

Martin

Awesome, and it only took 168 posts.
I guess anything else in this thread is off topic now as you no longer need Snow Leopard Desktop Support.

Awesome, and it only took 168 posts.
I guess anything else in this thread is off topic now as you no longer need Snow Leopard Desktop Support.
Final conclusion from this exercise is that you can get the Z10 to run Snow Leopard in legacy mode, but there are so many things that don't work in SL that you couldn't use it as an OS to springboard yourself to a higher version. For the Z10PE-D8, you most definitely need another computer running OS X to get done what you need to get done!

Thread can now be closed. It was a partial success for SL running on a Z10PE-D8 with dual Xeon Broardwell-EP CPU's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back