Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] The Dreaded Asus Z10PE-D8 WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a refined device tree might help.

We need to be pragmatic, if that is the word. ACPI code only gets run IOKit side (after boot.efi).
Agreed - So i am going to try and do a legacy Clover installer this time and see if i can get any further with it :think:

Martin

If i go with legacy boot method this error crops up...
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

This looked very familiar to me, so I looked around with google and low and behold, I found why it looked familiar to me. PikeRAlpha's article on Xnu/XPM https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/xnu-cpu-power-management/ Could this be the issue I wonder.

There are lots of settings in the BIOS on the Z10PE-D8 board with regard to CPU settings and Power Management.

I am thinking this board is stuck in some kind of hybrid mode and is somewhat confused, just like me! I am also thinking that maybe with the new release of Sierra proper that I really should just bite the bullet, drop the legacy route and go full UEFI mode with no CSM.

What do you guys think ?

If i go with legacy boot method this error crops up...
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start – waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

This looked very familiar to me, so I looked around with google and low and behold, I found why it looked familiar to me. PikeRAlpha's article on Xnu/XPM https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/xnu-cpu-power-management/ Could this be the issue I wonder.

There are lots of settings in the BIOS on the Z10PE-D8 board with regard to CPU settings and Power Management.

I am thinking this board is stuck in some kind of hybrid mode and is somewhat confused, just like me! I am also thinking that maybe with the new release of Sierra proper that I really should just bite the bullet, drop the legacy route and go full UEFI mode with no CSM.

What do you guys think ?
Why are you trying to go the Legacy route on a Skylake board? Bite the bullet and run full UEFI on it. It is actually much easier.
Boot to UEFI and hit F5 to get optimized settings for your other hardware and go from there.
Disable hibernation, set ACPI sleep state to S3, disable the serial ports under superIOconfig, disable Com port redirection, disable CSM, make sure EHCI/XHCI handoff is enabled, disable VT-d, make sure your PCH SATA ports are configured for AHCI, and skip the advanced CPU/memory settings.

Why are you trying to go the Legacy route on a Skylake board? Bite the bullet and run full UEFI on it. It is actually much easier.
Boot to UEFI and hit F5 to get optimized settings for your other hardware and go from there.
Disable hibernation, set ACPI sleep state to S3, disable the serial ports under superIOconfig, disable Com port redirection, disable CSM, make sure EHCI/XHCI handoff is enabled, disable VT-d, make sure your PCH SATA ports are configured for AHCI, and skip the advanced CPU/memory settings.
I was using legacy mode because of Snow Leopard and that iBoot Broadwell doesn't support UEFI graphics mode this board

It's superfluous at the moment any way, I had a power outage this morning and it's seriously screwed my Z9 main computer so having to do a rebuild on that, so that's my day planned out for me - lol

Martin

I was using legacy mode because of Snow Leopard and that iBoot Broadwell doesn't support UEFI graphics mode this board

It's superfluous at the moment any way, I had a power outage this morning and it's seriously screwed my Z9 main computer so having to do a rebuild on that, so that's my day planned out for me - lol

Martin
Failure of 7P there, right? No surge protector / UPS setup? No clone drive backup?

Failure of 7P there, right? No surge protector / UPS setup? No clone drive backup?

I have surge protection but no UPS, being a hobbyist now I don´t have one, but i guess it´s lesson learned - I have backups of all my data, but sadly not the OS, I had several at one time but Clover became very ugly so they got butchered. I am kicking myself but it happens so rarely that I tend to forget about the UPS side of things, but lots of HDD failures over the years means i have lots of backups...

I have backups of the EFI folder, but Linux was refusing to copy them over on the grounds of Fat32 not supporting cross referenced files or something like that, but it looks like i have that fixed now. The real ball ache is having a severely disabled wife and finding time to strip down the Z9 to get it working again so I can create/repair the USB Installer

Martin

I have surge protection but no UPS, being a hobbyist now I don´t have one, but i guess it´s lesson learned - I have backups of all my data, but sadly not the OS, I had several at one time but Clover became very ugly so they got butchered. I am kicking myself but it happens so rarely that I tend to forget about the UPS side of things, but lots of HDD failures over the years means i have lots of backups...

I have backups of the EFI folder, but Linux was refusing to copy them over on the grounds of Fat32 not supporting cross referenced files or something like that, but it looks like i have that fixed now. The real ball ache is having a severely disabled wife and finding time to strip down the Z9 to get it working again so I can create/repair the USB Installer

Martin

Lesson learnt here too. Had a power cut that broke my desktop had it 5 years but not the point. Got to go through hassle of buying and building a new rig. But the power cut i had was one of these that kept coming on going back off.

Lesson learnt here too. Had a power cut that broke my desktop had it 5 years but not the point. Got to go through hassle of buying and building a new rig. But the power cut i had was one of these that kept coming on going back off.

Not tested any of the drives in the Z9 box yet, the ICY Box is safe as it has like a mini UPS built into it so the drives would have parked up nicely before the power ran out (about 30 secs) so i know they will be good. On a brighter note the Z10 and the NVMe M.2 drive are very happy :)

Martin

Z9 up n running with MacOS Sierra 10.12.0 via GM beta and the link provided here on TM (thanks boss) as the actual download was not showing in the UK App Store - lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back