Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] System working fine, but restarts on Shutdown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,
  • Gigabyte GA-H170N
  • Core i7 6700
  • Silverstone SFX450W PSU, if that's relevant
  • macOS 10.12
  • Clover 4049
  • Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 650
  • Unibeast 7.1 / Multibeast 9.0.1
Asa a result of the ever-excellent support of people here, my system is now operational. The only remaining niggle is that it restarts after using shutdown from the Apple menu.

The OS shuts down, fans go to idle but within a few seconds they spin up again and I'm back at Clover.

This has been discussed elsewhere on the forums but most of the posts seem to relate to Chimera and are from many years ago. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Shutdown.png

Shutdown issues can be caused by USB. Attach ioreg. [Guide] How to Make a Copy of IOReg | tonymacx86.com

Thanks VoiletDragon!

Here's my IOReg, plus the report of the panic I get evytime my computer restarts, plus a copy of my Clover folder.
I hope this helps all these files could be useful to get a solution!

In the meantime, I've been trying new stuff from things a read on forums:
  • Update MySQL. I read there is a version that interacts with Sierra. But, I found out I don't even have that software in my computer.
  • Read also that the kext ALXEthernet could cause the restart. So I changed for AtherosE2200Ethernet, but this makes my internet useless.
  • Tried changing BIOS ErP to Enabled. Read this worked for someone, but not for me.
  • I tried again changing options in config.plist to select FixShutdown, FixUSB and Boot timeout=0. Did it one by one and restarted, but not of them made any difference.
  • I also tried shutting down my computer making sure there was not even one singe USB connected (not even mouse or keyboard). Still shutdown turned into a restart and showed the panic screen.
Unfortunately non of these options worked and I am still at the same place: Shutdown but get a restar instead, and I get panic screen with "Your computer has to restart because of a problem".

Will be waiting for some more ideas.
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IOReg Ayk.zip
    661.5 KB · Views: 105
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • Shutdown Report.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Hey guys!! I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!

This is what I found out:

The Shutdown report clearely points out there is an issue with the ALXEthernet kext, so I tried to search for an alternative kext. Tried AtherosE2200 but that didn't work, then I tried Atheros L1c... and that one worked.

Now the process to uninstall the problematic kext and to install the good one has to be very precise, as the kernel cache has to be completely deleted to avoid having any remains in the system that can bring the panic back again.

I followed instructions from Nebo72, so all the credit to him!!
Find his post at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/kernel-panic-sierra-alxethernet-instant-reboot.204758/

Basically, what you need to do is:
  1. Delete the kext ALXEhternet from /S/L/E
  2. Then recreate the kernel cache. If you have no idea how to do this, as happened to me... simply type on terminal: sudo touch /system/library/extensions
  3. Go to System Preferences and delete the Ethernet configuration you had from the old kext
  4. Now need to Reboot (this will actually apply the kernel cache recreation)
  5. Nos install the new kext. In my case it was AtherosL1c, but if you are having trouble with this, try also AtherosE2200. To install it use Termina, or softwares like Kext Utility or Kextdrop (I find this last one very simple as you only need to drag it into the window and click install).
  6. Recreate kernel cache again. Rremember, just type in terminal: sudo touch /system/library/extensions
  7. Reboot again.
  8. Now everything should be working. Just make sure you have the new Ethernet configuration in you system preferences.
By now you should have internet working and, most important... NO PANIC MESSAGE, AND NO RESTART INSTEAD OF SHUTDOWN.

Hope this guide help someone else, as I went crazy a couple of days trying to figure it out.
Thanks to everyone that helped with posts!!

Thanks VoiletDragon!

Here's my IOReg, plus the report of the panic I get evytime my computer restarts, plus a copy of my Clover folder.
I hope this helps all these files could be useful to get a solution!

In the meantime, I've been trying new stuff from things a read on forums:
  • Update MySQL. I read there is a version that interacts with Sierra. But, I found out I don't even have that software in my computer.
  • Read also that the kext ALXEthernet could cause the restart. So I changed for AtherosE2200Ethernet, but this makes my internet useless.
  • Tried changing BIOS ErP to Enabled. Read this worked for someone, but not for me.
  • I tried again changing options in config.plist to select FixShutdown, FixUSB and Boot timeout=0. Did it one by one and restarted, but not of them made any difference.
  • I also tried shutting down my computer making sure there was not even one singe USB connected (not even mouse or keyboard). Still shutdown turned into a restart and showed the panic screen.
Unfortunately non of these options worked and I am still at the same place: Shutdown but get a restar instead, and I get panic screen with "Your computer has to restart because of a problem".

Will be waiting for some more ideas.
Thanks guys!

FixShutdown is not needed on your hardware. Kernel Panic is relating to ALXEthernet. Noticed that your using Nvidia Web Drivers which are not needed with the GTX650. ACPI isn't patched, Native CPUPowermanagement is not implemented which doesn't help things also SMBIOS Trust should be True not False. You also have DSDT, Fixes which are also not needed better to patch ACPI. SATA is coming under SATA, USB 2.0 is coming under EHC1, EHC2 should be coming under EH01, EH02. Quite a messy setup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back