i5-4210U
Graphics
HD 4400, Radeon R7
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
The option to swap Fn+fkeys and keys is not visible in SysPrefs->Keyboard
I use VoodooPS2Controller.kext and I think my system uses ACPI events for the keys. Changing the setting in the BIOS has no effect.

How do I swap the keys?

(I'm guessing it has something to do with VoodooPS2Keyboard -> Info.plist -> IOKitPersonalities but I don't understand what to do from there. My manufacturer isn't listed and the Default group seems a little empty)

The option to swap Fn+fkeys and keys is not visible in SysPrefs->Keyboard

That is an option separate from any BIOS option.
It is enabled by implementing "Function Keys Special" and "Function Keys Standard" (advanced users). It can be done in the Info.plist or in ACPI.
Refer to the ACPI example in the u430 repo, or the Info.plist content for the ProBook series.

I use VoodooPS2Controller.kext and I think my system uses ACPI events for the keys. Changing the setting in the BIOS has no effect.

The BIOS setting will have likely have an effect if you patch ACPI correctly (correct "OS Check Fix" patch).
See ACPI guide linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

The BIOS setting will have likely have an effect if you patch ACPI correctly (correct "OS Check Fix" patch).
OS Check Fix (windows 8) is already implemented. In fact, windows used an OEM utility app to reflect the changes made in the BIOS. Without that utility app, Linux is the only OS that reflects that BIOS setting.

It is enabled by implementing "Function Keys Special" and "Function Keys Standard"
I'm having trouble determining the key codes for the function keys as not all keys return a value with ACPI Debug

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    87.9 KB · Views: 169
I'm having trouble determining the key codes for the function keys as not all keys return a value with ACPI Debug

Some keys may be handled via ACPI. Some others may not generate codes at all. It is normal.

Some keys may be handled via ACPI. Some others may not generate codes at all. It is normal.
Procedure to swap fkeys and fn+fkeys is not clear. Can you link a guide or repo that contains relevant information?

Procedure to swap fkeys and fn+fkeys is not clear. Can you link a guide or repo that contains relevant information?

Some BIOS implementations provide such an option.
Is that what you're referring to?

If you're actually referrring to the SysPrefs->Keyboard option, refer to the examples for ProBook, u430, Y50, etc. that implement overrides for "Function Keys Standard" and "Function Keys Special". It is an advanced topic, but those that understand PS2->PS2 mapping (as documented for "Custom PS2 Map") should be able to figure it out.

BTW: The mechanism is broken on Sierra.

Last edited:
Is the SysPrefs->Keyboard mechanism the broken one? If so, could you explain how to implement it via ACPI? (I use macOS Sierra)

The mechanism the PS2 kext uses to make SysPrefs->Keyboard->General->"Use all F1, F2" is broken in 10.12.
It used to be the kext could set property HIDFKeyMode to make the setting appear. But it doesn't work in 10.12. It is likely the feature was removed from the prefpane.
It is still available in Karabiner Elements, but has its own issues.
It is not an important feature anyway. I made the feature work originally, but I rarely use it...

Solved using Karabiner Elements.

EDIT: The settings only take effect after opening the Karabiner app. How do I activate these settings on startup without 'Open app at login'. (I'm looking for an alternate method to reflect my changes without having to actually open the app each time)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back