Contribute
Register

[Solved] Successful Sierra build, but USB 3.0 ports only work with USB 2.0 devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMA

Motherboard
Asus Z170-A
CPU
i7-6700
Graphics
HD 530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

So far I'm very happy with how this build has gone. Everything is working and stable, except for this strange thing that's happening with the USB ports.

My build is as follows:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA H170M-D3H
CPU: Intel i5 6600
Ram: 16GB (2x8) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz
Graphics: Intel HD 530
Sierra 10.12.1

During post installation I used Multibeast > USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0

I have 2x USB 2.0 ports (rear) and 6x USB 3.0 ports (2 Front, 4 rear). My USB 3.0 ports work perfectly with, and will mount, any USB 2.0 devices (flash drives, will read mouse, keyboard etc) but will not mount any USB 3.0 devices (flash drives, hard drives etc.) Only 1 of the USB 3.0 ports (on the front panel) will mount a USB 3.0 device. All the rest will make the light come on, but won't mount (or even show up in Disk Utility).

Right now, I have my external drives running from the USB 2.0 ports and my peripherals plugged into the USB 3.0 ports!

Any insight or help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!

D

Hi,

So far I'm very happy with how this build has gone. Everything is working and stable, except for this strange thing that's happening with the USB ports.

My build is as follows:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA H170M-D3H
CPU: Intel i5 6600
Ram: 16GB (2x8) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz
Graphics: Intel HD 530
Sierra 10.12.1

During post installation I used Multibeast > USB > 3rd Party USB 3.0

I have 2x USB 2.0 ports (rear) and 6x USB 3.0 ports (2 Front, 4 rear). My USB 3.0 ports work perfectly with, and will mount, any USB 2.0 devices (flash drives, will read mouse, keyboard etc) but will not mount any USB 3.0 devices (flash drives, hard drives etc.) Only 1 of the USB 3.0 ports (on the front panel) will mount a USB 3.0 device. All the rest will make the light come on, but won't mount (or even show up in Disk Utility).

Right now, I have my external drives running from the USB 2.0 ports and my peripherals plugged into the USB 3.0 ports!

Any insight or help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!

D

Get rid of the 3rd party USB 3.0 kext - your system doesn't have any 3rd-party USB chips; all the USB ports in your system are provided by the Z170 chipset. The 3rd party USB driver is for ASMedia and VIA USB chips only. Instead, try installing the USB Raise Port Limit patch from Multibeast.

Get rid of the 3rd party USB 3.0 kext - your system doesn't have any 3rd-party USB chips; all the USB ports in your system are provided by the Z170 chipset. The 3rd party USB driver is for ASMedia and VIA USB chips only. Instead, try installing the USB Raise Port Limit patch from Multibeast.
Aha, I get you. Awesome! That did the trick. Thank you so much for your time, it's much appreciated!

Can you be more specific, which kext do I need to remove and which need to stay?
Hi Hoka,

After I (wrongfully) installed the 3rd party USB 3.0 kext, I went to /Library/Extensions, and deleted GenericUSBXHCI.kext.
After that I used Multibeast to install: Increase Max Port Limit. (As Nobodynose suggested).

Worked wonders for me.

Im facing the same difficulty, with no USB 3.0 drives being recognised on the front panel.

My specs are
i5 6600k
MSI Z170 Sli plus (2 USB 2.0, 2 USB3.0 rear, 2 USB 3.0 Front)
2 x 4gb Avexir 2400 ram
Asus GeForce 980 Strix OC
Sierra 10.12.3
imac 14,2 system definiton
Phanteks Evolv ATX TG case

I have already enabled the "increase Max Usb port" through multibeast during my initial install and did not check off the "3rd party USB" should i load my previous multibeast and load the 3rd party usb?

I'm facing the same difficulty, with no USB 3.0 drives being recognised on the front panel.

MSI Z170 Sli plus (2 USB 2.0, 2 USB3.0 rear, 2 USB 3.0 Front)

Should i load my previous multibeast and load the 3rd party usb?

USB

• ASMedia® ASM1142 Chipset
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C (SuperSpeed USB 10Gbps) ports on the back panel

• Intel® Z170 Chipset
- 6 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (SuperSpeed USB) ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB 3.1 Gen 1 connectors)
- 6 x USB 2.0 (High-speed USB) ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB 2.0 connectors)
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-SLI-PLUS.html#hero-specification

The 3rd party usb seems to only be on the rear USB port. All the others are listed as being driven through the Intel Z170 chipset, although you would have to look at your manual to be sure.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/3rd-party-usb-3-0-genericusbxhci-kext-working-in-10-11-2.181059/
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-10-11-usb-changes-and-solutions.173616/ With 221 pages there's a lot of info in there, with the latter pages dedicated to Sierra.

Thanks for the reply and help @kiiroaka !

I think its a strange problem, when i dual boot it to my windows 10, the usb 3.0 works just fine on the front headers and everything works well. Its just in sierra that it starts acting up.

If I use a USB 2.0 cable for a USB 3.0 device, it works, but I have the same problem and I cannot find any generic kext file neither at my extensions.

anyone a solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back