Aorus Radeon RX 580 8Gb
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi everyone,
I just tried to update 10.13.3 to 10.13.4 but it went wrong obviously as I can't boot anymore...
I tried to update all my kexts before (AppleALC, FakeSMC, Lilu...) and I applied the new USB patch :
  • Name*: com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI
  • Find* [HEX]: 837d940f 0f839704 0000
  • Replace* [HEX]: 837d940f 90909090 9090
  • Comment: USB 10.13.4+ by PMHeart
  • MatchOS: 10.13.x
During the installation I had 3 reboots, selecting manually every time the "Install from..." entry in Clover. When this partition disappeared on 3rd or 4th reboot, I selected my hackintosh partition I boot from everyday... And then... I'm stuck on the Apple Logo with grey background...

Any help to go back from it ? Obviously, I did not backed up, I don't know why... because it always went fine on previous updates... too much confident. I'm guilty...

I'm using a Gigabyte z370 HD3, Intel i7 8700K, Samsung M.2 960 Pro, EVGA 1060 SSC 6Gb

Cheers !!!

@pafofi, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard (Mobo), CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Boot your system in Verbose Mode and post a picture of your screen when it freezes/hangs.
At Clover Boot Screen press space bar and select Verbose (-v)

Thanks a lot for your reply... sorry for the delay, it was the night on my part of the world!
I just started in verbose mode as you asked... and I don't know why but it booted perfectly! I just have to update Nvidia web drivers... I may have boot 10 times yesterday without any luck...
Thanks anyway for your kind reply !

I see you're using a similar setup to me barring the Gigabyte board. I suggest you update the Nvidia web driver to .103, add CUDA, update NvidiaGraphicsFixup, Lilu and Shiki to the latest versions and make sure to add the Emuvariableuefi-64 driver in Clover. You may also need to use dart=0, ngfxcompat=1 and shikigva=60 as boot arguments. That should at a minimum allow your system to boot properly without stalling.

I see you're using a similar setup to me barring the Gigabyte board. I suggest you update the Nvidia web driver to .103, add CUDA, update NvidiaGraphicsFixup, Lilu and Shiki to the latest versions and make sure to add the Emuvariableuefi-64 driver in Clover. You may also need to use dart=0, ngfxcompat=1 and shikigva=60 as boot arguments. That should at a minimum allow your system to boot properly without stalling.

Thanks for those tips. Again, my issue is now gone I-don't-know-how but for some who could need more answers, here is what is presently checked on my 13.3.4 booting :
- every kexts you mentioned were updated before the macOS update to their latest
- I have no emuvariableuefi-64 and never had to boot (I could try to add it though, but works well without it so far)
- dart=0 is checked
- no ngfxcompat=1 or shikigva=60 (should I manually type it in boot args ? I didn't find a checkbox with this name anywhere...)

Thanks for your time, it lets me learn a lot every day !

Thanks for those tips. Again, my issue is now gone I-don't-know-how but for some who could need more answers, here is what is presently checked on my 13.3.4 booting :
- every kexts you mentioned were updated before the macOS update to their latest
- I have no emuvariableuefi-64 and never had to boot (I could try to add it though, but works well without it so far)
- dart=0 is checked
- no ngfxcompat=1 or shikigva=60 (should I manually type it in boot args ? I didn't find a checkbox with this name anywhere...)

Thanks for your time, it lets me learn a lot every day !

1) From what I know, Emuvariableuefi is an essential part of getting Nvidia cards to work on a 100/200/300 series cards, of getting it recognised in the NVRAM natively as since Z97 series this was removed. Without it after you install the Nvidia web drivers, the system will not switch over to the Nvidia drivers from the Intel drivers. You could try without it first after installing the Nvidia web drivers but this definitely happens on Asus boards in my experience and is required on other non-Asus setups I've read.

2) Those arguments are to be type in the boot args section manually as is.

p.s. you're welcome

1) From what I know, Emuvariableuefi is an essential part of getting Nvidia cards to work on a 100/200/300 series cards, of getting it recognised in the NVRAM natively as since Z97 series this was removed. Without it after you install the Nvidia web drivers, the system will not switch over to the Nvidia drivers from the Intel drivers. You could try without it first after installing the Nvidia web drivers but this definitely happens on Asus boards in my experience and is required on other non-Asus setups I've read.

2) Those arguments are to be type in the boot args section manually as is.

p.s. you're welcome

Ok I'll try this emuvariableuefi but it seems that my EVGA 1060 SSC 6gb is recognized correctly... it appears in "about this Mac" and I can use CUDA to run my Premiere Pro / AE renders (winning about half the time it takes for same results but with OpenGL!)
I'll let you know how it goes with the driver enabled... but only next week as I left the office for the week-end ;)

Ok I'll try this emuvariableuefi but it seems that my EVGA 1060 SSC 6gb is recognized correctly... it appears in "about this Mac" and I can use CUDA to run my Premiere Pro / AE renders (winning about half the time it takes for same results but with OpenGL!)
I'll let you know how it goes with the driver enabled... but only next week as I left the office for the week-end ;)

Well if your OS can see the card then don't install it. You should be fine. It's only for when your system doesn't recognise the card in System Profiler.

On my hack I applied settings like below:
  • Name: AppleUSBXHCI
  • Find: 837d940f 0f839704 0000
  • Replace: 837d941a 90909090 9090
Be careful that the Name field is changed from AppleUSBXHCIPCI (10.13.3) to AppleUSBXHCI (10.13.4).

Besides, the 4th byte in the Replace field is changed from 0f (837d940f) to 1a (837d941a) in my case. This byte is the total number of USB ports on the MB, and a less-than-real number such as 0f will make my front panel USB ports failed to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back