Asus Z170 Hero VIII
CPU
i7-6700K OC @4.6GHz
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Hi,

I had El Capitan running for a few days until I decided to update the BIOS and overclock. Messed up the system and I've had no end of trouble since.

Currently got to this when booting (attached).

flags: dart=0 nvda_drv=1 npci=0x3000 cpus=1

Specs are in sig.

Using 6,1 definition. Worth mentioning that this install on the M.2 was working with the same hardware. I've tried a new mobs (and RAM0 - same thing. No idea what has happened!

BIOS tweaked as per the usual instructions. Secure disabled, CSM off, VT-d off etc. I have to disable Intel Virtualisation to be able to boot too.

Tried both DVI and HDMI - same thing.

Any ideas? At the point of defeat / giving up!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    846 KB · Views: 168
Stuck at DSMOS Has Arrived - 6700K, Hero VIII, 980GTX

this is booting from USB or SSD ?

this is booting from USB or SSD ?

SSD. It won't even boot from my (originally working) USB boot disk.

Oddly, I've managed to reach the login screen a couple of times, and twice even logged in, but it crashed within seconds.

It won't get to the login screen even if I remove the GFX card and use the onboard Intel GFX (and inject via Clover boot menu), so it can't be the 980.

I have some new RAM coming today, hopefully that's the issue. If not, I have no idea.

Update in case it helps someone…

Turns out the CPU is dodgy. Not enough that it didn't boot, but enough that it would hang upon light use (hack booting/login).

Tried underclocking to 3.5Ghz and the system became far more stable (the odd crash). New CPU arriving tomorrow to test. Fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back