i7-7700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

after a long and troublesome installation of Sierra in my new Hackintosh, I was finally successfull and everything seemed to work properly. Now the BIOS stop seeing the system SSD drive - sometimes it shows Generic Storage Device 0576 five times and sometimes it doesn´t see it at all ...

Edit: Now I found that if I start the computer, unplug the power cable of the SSD, plug again and reboot, than the SSD is again visible and bootable. But this proceduce is very annoying and I would be happy to overcome this.

My system is:

Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming (BIOS F20)
Intel Core i7 6700K
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970

I will be happy for any advice - up to now I haven´t found anything relevant.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

after a long and troublesome installation of Sierra in my new Hackintosh, I was finally successfull and everything seemed to work properly. Now the BIOS stop seeing the system SSD drive - sometimes it shows Generic Storage Device 0576 five times and sometimes it doesn´t see it at all ...

Edit: Now I found that if I start the computer, unplug the power cable of the SSD, plug again and reboot, than the SSD is again visible and bootable. But this procedure is very annoying and I would be happy to overcome this.

My system is:

Gigabyte Z170X-Ultra Gaming (BIOS F20)
Intel Core i7 6700K
Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970

I will be happy for any advice - up to now I haven´t found anything relevant.
Thanks!

Your motherboard has newer versions of BIOS that fixes the Intel Kaby Lake / Skylake Hyperthreading Bug and the Intel Management Engine Vulnerabilities, which are relevant to your Core i7 CPU. Do you know how to upgrade your motherboard's BIOS using Q-Flash in the BIOS screen? If so I suggest downloading the latest version of the BIOS, extract the BIOS file to a USB stick formatted in FAT format, and upgrade the BIOS using it, then try again.

Your motherboard has newer versions of BIOS that fixes the Intel Kaby Lake / Skylake Hyperthreading Bug and the Intel Management Engine Vulnerabilities, which are relevant to your Core i7 CPU. Do you know how to upgrade your motherboard's BIOS using Q-Flash in the BIOS screen? If so I suggest downloading the latest version of the BIOS, extract the BIOS file to a USB stick formatted in FAT format, and upgrade the BIOS using it, then try again.
I think I have the latest. I just did that a few weeks ago. Unless they updated since then I think I’m on the latest version. I did that to get my thUnderbolt 3 pci card working. Which it did. Just a few days ago everything was fine and then I switched some cables to try to get my hard drive working and everything is failing now. I’m a hackintosh novice so this is new to me. It took me about a week to get my initial build working and now I’m stumped. I’ve checked my bios setting and they seem correct. I made a backup prior to opening the system up and that initially worked but has failed to work since. I’m totally confused and just frustrated. I have searched and searched for anyone who’s had similar issues and have tried to find an answer to no avail. I did get th bios to see two out of three drives somehow but they won’t boot still. I’ll keep trying but if someone has any ideas I’d appreciate some help on this. Thanks all.

I think I have the latest. I just did that a few weeks ago. Unless they updated since then I think I’m on the latest version. I did that to get my thUnderbolt 3 pci card working. Which it did. Just a few days ago everything was fine and then I switched some cables to try to get my hard drive working and everything is failing now. I’m a hackintosh novice so this is new to me. It took me about a week to get my initial build working and now I’m stumped. I’ve checked my bios setting and they seem correct. I made a backup prior to opening the system up and that initially worked but has failed to work since. I’m totally confused and just frustrated. I have searched and searched for anyone who’s had similar issues and have tried to find an answer to no avail. I did get th bios to see two out of three drives somehow but they won’t boot still. I’ll keep trying but if someone has any ideas I’d appreciate some help on this. Thanks all.

You said "Just a few days ago everything was fine and then I switched some cables to try to get my hard drive working and everything is failing now."

Why did you decide to switch cables? Is it because the motherboard already failed to detect your hard drive at that point?

If so, and after replacing the cable the motherboard still did not detect your hard drive (or was detected intermittently) then it may be a sign that your hard drive is failing.

Perhaps the OP is also facing the same issue, namely that his/her SSD is starting to show signs of failure?

Hi,

my final solution was buying a different drive. The Kingston I had simply didn’t work with the MB, even if Gigabyte told me, it is supported.

As a temporary solution I found that I could boot this way:

Turn the machine on, disconnect the power cable of the SSD a connect it back again and hit reset (not off and on, but reset or CTRL-ALT-DEL). Than it should work. Don’t disconnect the second (signal) cable. Let me know if this worked for You.

Good luck.

Now I’m using myself an Intel M.2 drive.

So now my Ssd system drive and my internal drive show up. My backup ssd attached via usb shows up generic. But I can’t boot. It seems that the usb isnt really recognized properly. The last time I booted up Good was from the usb backup. But I tried restoring my internal system from the backup and that internal drive is not booting for some reason. But now the backup won’t boot either.

Is possible I’m missing something is my bios settings because I’ve tried adjusting those according to what I’ve found here in this forum. I just can’t find everything in my bios on this site. So I’m thinking I may be missing something. Some of my cpu bios settings are different than what I’m finding here and I may have done something wrong.

Or could it be clover? I updated clover on my internal drive but not my backup. It has the version that I know worked. I read somewhere updating clover may help my drive issue and my other issue of thunder bolt being intermittent.

I’m thinking I may have accidentally broken my system trying to fix it.

So this turned out to be a clover issue. Not sure why but my EFI folder was empty I simply added the latest backup info and everything booted properly. I have no idea why it was deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back