Contribute
Register

SOLVED (sort of): Erratic and slow bluetooth performance with trackpad and mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-2700K
Graphics
GeForce GTS 250 1024 MB
Hi, I have a iogear usb bluetooth module connected to my Gigabyte DS3H/I5-2500K based system, and it generally works great, even allowing me to wake from sleep, with no drivers needed.

However, I've done something twice so far, not sure what, that mucks up the connection to my trackpad and magic mouse in a weird way. It appears to be connected, but the cursor movement is very erratic and unpredictable. If I lift the mouse at all while moving it, the cursor jumps half way across the screen. The trackpad is also jumpy and iffy, disconnecting and reconnecting on its own and rapidly, and tapping stops working -- only real clicks. Finally, clicking on the bluetooth menu in the menu bar takes about 5 seconds to appear every time.

No idea what causes this to happen, but last night it occurred when I started Parallels and the windows machine thought a bluetooth device had been connected and took it over. Even after I disabled bluetooth devices in the windows machine, and shut it down, the devices wouldn't work properly on the Mac side, and restarting did not help.

The solution, both times that this happened, was to simply unplug the bluetooth dongle and plug it back into different USB port. Hope this helps someone who is experiencing strange bluetooth behavior!

I had the same thing happen to me twice now on my DS3H board, my keyboard would not pair and the cursor would jump all over the place. I do not have parallels in stalled on my machine but I did install windows on my system drive (dual boot). This just started after changing from a Targus to an IO Gear dongle.

Yeah, I wonder if it is related to windows in general trying to connect. I also have a windows disk that I can boot to. I just think it is strange that just switching usb ports seems to alleviate the problem.

I just completed my build two weekends ago (GA-Z77-DS3H mobo). I took an old USB Bluetooth dongle and have it attached to one of the USB 2.0 ports on the back of my CustoMac. I was able to get the trackpad to connect to the system after removing it from my MacMini. I have a logitech wireless keyboard attached via a separate USB connection (non-bluetooth). I have not yet installed Windows 8 or Parallels 8 yet, so that shouldn't be the cause of your cursor jumping all over the place. I'm having the same issue with just my trackpad which is the only device that I have hooked up via bluetooth. I have an older dongle so I was thinking maybe that was part of the issue. Any insights or hints on what to tinker with would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back