Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Sluggish UI perfomance on a 4k display (scaled)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X99P-SLI
CPU
i7-6800k
Graphics
Radeon RX650
Hey,

With the help of Koush X99 EFI (Thanks again!), I've built an x99 based Hackintosh. Here's my configuration:
GA-X99P-SLI
i7-6800k
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M4A2800C16
Palit GTX 1050 TI passive
Sierra 10.12.6
Latest nVidia WebDriver (for Pascal)

I use this setup mainly for DAW applications (Ableton Live). The installation went fine, and my Hackintosh is stable. Except for one thing. I'm using a 4K 27" display. To get a proper resolution, I have to scale it via the monitor settings in Sierra. It works fine in the OS, but when I'm working on larger projects in Ableton Live, my UI gets very sluggish. It's not a CPU problem. When I switch to the native 4k resolution, this behaviour disappiers and the UI works smoothly.

I'm using HWMonitor, but it only shows 54 Mhz for the GPU frequency, which seems to be a bug. The system profile shows the correct details for my GTX 1050 TI (including the right amount of VRAM).

I've attached my config.plist.

Is there a way to fix this? Before I'm going to switch my monitor for a QHD one, maybe there's a solution for this issue?

All the best
Niels

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.6 KB · Views: 297
Your 1050Ti is simply a weak card in general or Ableton Live is not particularly well optimized for HiDPI displays. nVidia drivers are rather poorly optimized for macOS so your experience is not surprising.

It seems so. I'm switching now to a QHD display, which I can use natively without scaling.

Hm. I still have these issues. Ableton Live got a recent update with 60 frames per second support. I've switched to a UWQHD display (iiyama ProLite XUB3490WQSU). And I've tried a Geforce GT1060 instead of a 1050TI.

At some point my UI gets laggy. It disappears when I'm using a FullHD resolution instead of QHD. And it's only laggy when I have to lot of windows/plugins open.

Has anyone an idea to fix this? I will buy a new graphics card if this is the problem.

There a few people on this forum with similar problems, and others with iMacs and Macbooks with Nvidia cards experiencing the same issues. It appears not to be a Hackintosh specific problem, but rather a High Sierra / Nvidia problem when rendering certain windows, mostly Google Chrome, and possibly other apps built with Electron. I have a GTX970 with the same issues.

I have switched to the new Fire Fox beta from Chrome and I try to be careful which other apps I leave open. It has made my system much more usable.

There a few people on this forum with similar problems, and others with iMacs and Macbooks with Nvidia cards experiencing the same issues. It appears not to be a Hackintosh specific problem, but rather a High Sierra / Nvidia problem when rendering certain windows, mostly Google Chrome, and possibly other apps built with Electron. I have a GTX970 with the same issues.

I have switched to the new Fire Fox beta from Chrome and I try to be careful which other apps I leave open. It has made my system much more usable.
Hm. I'm still on Sierra and I'm using my hackintosh only for DAW purposes. Is there a 4k GPU for Sierra in the field which works without these problems?

For me, this issue is solved. I've switched to a Radeon RX560 and it worked right out of the box (just the RadeonEnable in Clover). With the Radeon card everything works smooth and without any problems. Perfect!

For me, this issue is solved. I've switched to a Radeon RX560 and it worked right out of the box (just the RadeonEnable in Clover). With the Radeon card everything works smooth and without any problems. Perfect!

Hey which rx560 did you grab>?

All the good results seem to be coming from the Msi, or GA rigs...

I accidentally went for the cheaper XFX one and its been pointless

Hey which rx560 did you grab>?

All the good results seem to be coming from the Msi, or GA rigs...

I accidentally went for the cheaper XFX one and its been pointless
I've bought an MSI Radeon RX 560 Aero ITX 4GB.

All the best

Thank you, swapping with the GA one for now (already ordered b4 you responded haha)

Ill let you know of any sucess

I was about to revert back to sierra but I feel it is always easier to install high sierra to such a mobo

Cheers and happy holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back