Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Sleep and shutdown not working on High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wohoo, finally good news on my part! Everything working on my setup as far as I know, so I decided to share my solutions in a bit more detail. I hope this could help some of you guys battling the same shutdown and sleep issues. :thumbup:

Here's my setup (not certain of all names and I'm too lazy to check now):

- MOBO: GA-Z77X-UD5H (rev. 1.0!) with Bios version 14
- CPU: Intel i7-3770K
- GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX-670 OC
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3
- Power: Corsair 1000 W
- HDs:
- 2 TB drive for macOS
- 1 TB drive for video edits
- 1 TB drive for Windows 10
- 1 TB drive for Windows games (flight sims and such)​
Other components aren't as important here.

At the moment I'm running macOS 11.13.3 but I'm planning to update to the latest in a few days. I'll report after that whether anything got broken.

Hey, thanks for posting this info! But is there something specific that you changed that got sleep to work? Or were you mostly changing a ton of settings all at the same time? Any info that you remember between the time sleep wasn't working ---> to the time it started to work would be appreciated!

Hey, thanks for posting this info! But is there something specific that you changed that got sleep to work? Or were you mostly changing a ton of settings all at the same time? Any info that you remember between the time sleep wasn't working ---> to the time it started to work would be appreciated!

That's true, it would have been more helpful if I highlighted the exact changes that made the last difference. Now my post is really helpful only for those with the exact same mobo as mine... But thinking back I'd say that I ticked those two boxes under ACPI section of Clover Configurator and canceled the Adobe Cloud syncing. The last definitive cause preventing sleep in my case was the Adobe Cloud syncing, so I'm not at all sure whether the ACPI boxes are needed. But as it is working now (knock-knock) I have no inclination to try unticking them. Hope this helps!

Hah, my joy was quickly outlived: I went and tried Guitar Rig 5's free version and it broke my sleep again. It was a bit alarming that it had to reboot after installation but I thought it just needed to install plugins for Logic and Garageband (which it did). And sure as hell, once again the screen would just go black for a few seconds but turn immediately back on, everything still spinning as before. The most frustrating about this is that I didn't eventually like the thing and uninstalled it -- with no uninstaller nor even instructions in the manuals for it. I used AppManager as I felt it was the safest bet to get everything out. Then I went through virtually every imaginable location (libraries, user files) to manually hunt down some leftovers. Found a few and proceeded to reboot. Same problem. I contacted the manufacturer and they have answered a couple of times, instructing to do all that I already have done, so no joy... Really pissed. I hate these manufacturers who mess with the system and cause problems.

But as I noticed there is new system update I'll give it a shot anyways and hope that it might resolve this issue as well. Will report how it went.

[The update to 10.13.6 went smoothly but it didn't help with sleep, but...]

Getting more strange... After the last post where I had lost sleep (probably due to Guitar Rig 5) I only did one ridiculous, little alteration which got everything working again. First, according to a suggestion from GR5's manufacturer, Native Instruments, I tried setting both monitor sleep and system sleep triggers to 1 min in the Energysaver, to see how it'd react. Well, it didn't even try to sleep -- nothing happened. So I adjusted the sliders to 20 mins for the screen and 30 mins for the system (whereas before it had been 30 mins and an hour, respectively), went to watch football wolrd cup, and when I got back to Hack the thing was asleep like Cinderella! And woke up, perfectly, as one would expect. This beats me... There was nothing else I did, and the change was only in the timing. After this, I've also been able to put it to sleep myself, through the Apple menu (see the above post for problems with this).

There is one thing, though, which has me a bit worried. With these last two system updates I think the fans have been peculiarly more active and seemingly without good cause. Even when doing non-intensive tasks (browsing web, writing on text editor) some fan may start throttling quite loudly, almost like the bootup time. Then after a while it may quiet down. But even overall, I feel as if the fans were making more noise than before these updates. Could it be that they introduced some power management issues? I should open the case and try to listen which ones are in question but I've been too lazy. But I'm also afraid that my GTX 670 may be getting too old and might make it known this way. Anyone else noticing more fan action nowadays? Is there a need to start tampering with the power management values like back in the days?

I used HWMonitor and indeed, there were rising temperatures for the two Mac disks, and a warning. The highest the system disk got was 48° C and at around 45° it triggered the fans to high speeds. Good to see that the protective mode kicked in, if anything... Finally, I had to open the case and go through all the wires, unplugging and putting them back in, also checking for visible wear and tear. Found none, but also removed all the dust. Paid special attention to all the fan blades, carefully getting the dust off. And wouldn't you know, temperatures have dropped back to normal! Of course, also fan behaviour is as one would expect. So nice. I guess it's a good idea to open the case every now and then and as little as go through all the connections, lesson learned. :idea::thumbup:

Greetings to you all! My hackintosh is running macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 and I was able to fix sleep and shutdown issues with a series of terminal commands. They must be entered in the order listed below. I hope it helps you guys too.

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 5
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 5

Just curious - are these terminal commands from: https://www.mactechnews.de/forum/discussion/Fix-Slow-Shutdown-in-OS-X-318826.html - are they still working for you?

I have same mobo, waiting..... :eek: I can't make sleep mode works correctly :(

I'll try to find time later today. :) Are you already on Mojave? (Just wondering, because I tried to use GTX 1070 with it but couldn't get it to work but in VESA mode.) If you're still on High Sierra you should probably find help in my first posts of this thread.

Are you already on Mojave? (Just wondering, because I tried to use GTX 1070 with it but couldn't get it to work but in VESA mode.) If you're still on High Sierra you should probably find help in my first posts of this thread.
No, I'm still in Sierra. I testing Mojave on a different disk using Intel HD 4000 and waiting for Nvidia's drivers for Mojave. I thinking upgrade my Sierra (o make a fresh install on my SDD if the upgrade is complicated) but only when can resolve the sleep issue and Nvidia drivers are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back