Contribute
Register

[solved] SL on 4x30s, various problems/questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guide to Installing Snow Leopard on HP Probook

Ok

I found a solution.
just reinstalled again OSX following the procedure and now chimera I controlling the boot
i will study how to configure it to show the 2 OS at start up and change the order

What I was not able, yet :) to sort out is the wireless
The SL recognises the Ethernet and the Bluetooth, but not the wireless
I am not even sure which wireless device this laptop has - but I installed the Atheros kext - I trust this is something that can be sorted out after the W7 is fully configured

Kind regards to all that have gone through this journey

If you don't have Atheros, you will need to replace the card. The other ones (Realtek, Ralink) are not supported on OS X.

If you don't have Atheros, you will need to replace the card. The other ones (Realtek, Ralink) are not supported on OS X.
Thanks again RehabMan
it is all working but the wireless access...
I read a bit about Atheros and found a lot of complains, particularly in Windows
Besides the replacement of the card does not seem to be trivial
is there any USB wireless card that can be used in this Hackintosh?
Thanks

Thanks again RehabMan
it is all working but the wireless access...
I read a bit about Atheros and found a lot of complains, particularly in Windows
Besides the replacement of the card does not seem to be trivial
is there any USB wireless card that can be used in this Hackintosh?
Thanks

You will always find complaints on everything if you look... I don't find anything wrong with the Atheros 9285 as far as WiFi. I'd bet most people have router config issues, poor environment, or just don't have a clue.

It is pretty easy to replace a WiFi card in our ProBooks... You can read the HP service manual if you need guidance for that sort of thing.

There are USB sticks that have Mac support. Just do some shopping/googling... All you need is one with OS X drivers.

... Atheros 9285 ...
It is pretty easy to replace a WiFi card in our ProBooks...

Thanks RehabMan
I looked around for this card and could find it only in eBay
However, I find two versions: mini and half-mini

which one should I pick?

Thanks

Thanks RehabMan
I looked around for this card and could find it only in eBay
However, I find two versions: mini and half-mini

which one should I pick?

Thanks

ProBook's use a half-mini. And you need to purchase one that passes HP's "white list" so look for HP branding or assurance that it works on HP laptops. If you want a sure thing, buy it from HP. Part numbers are in the FAQ.

SL on 4x30s, various problems/questions

ProBook's use a half-mini. And you need to purchase one that passes HP's "white list" so look for HP branding or assurance that it works on HP laptops. If you want a sure thing, buy it from HP. Part numbers are in the FAQ.

RehabMan
I did it!!! And I feel so pleased.
This post is being written from the HP 4530s running SL which was installed following the process described in this forum.
Thanks to the advices from you, and a bit of persistency, I have now a full functional portable computer running both SL and W7
The final drop on this quest was the purchase of the Atheros card directly from HP, which is now working as a treat
Thanks so much for all the support given

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back