CPU
Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz (SKYLAKE)
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I managed to get my first install of High Sierra 10.13.3 onto a Skylake machine (see my specs below). I was a bit excited that I did it, and when I ran MultiBeast, I may have selected some incorrect options from the get-go, and I talk about more of that in the second paragraph. Anyways, I was having issues getting the system to recognize my EVGA Geforce GTX 970 SSC. I did some research and found out that 100 series builds don't support the NVRAM. I followed multiple threads and found this one, and problem #6 is my exact issue. But then I started thinking... I probably messed up some of my MultiBeast settings, so maybe I should clear them and restart. I've seen other Skylake builds with 17.1(even though it's optional) and I'm using 14.2. But I like the challenge of this whole thing and I won't feel accomplished unless I can do everything I can to full potential.

Here's what I had done.
The first time I ran MultiBeast, (in Bootloaders tab) I selected Clover UEFI Boot Mode and later found out that with my 100 series build I need the Clover UEFI Boot Mode + Emulated NVRAM. I saved my original MultiBeast settings in my Documents folder. Then after I found my issue, I went to go update the changes and MultiBeast told me that the updated MultiBeast settings file (that I just made) was corrupted.

What I want to know is:
Is there any way to clear all MultiBeast settings and restart? Or... should I follow the steps on the guide as listed above and not worry about updating the MultiBeast settings? I was continually having issues booting into the EFS drive from Clover and I kept having to include "slide=0 debug=0x100" to my boot args every time I restarted since I was booting from the USB screen. I've been afraid to boot directly from the HDD that I have High Sierra installed on because I've been trying to fix my graphics card problem before I went further.

I'm very new to all of this, and I've read so many threads that I'm overwhelmed and confused. I spent 6 hours doing troubleshooting on my own + researching where I had gone wrong. And I'm just lost now. Any help or direction on where I should go next would be much appreciated.

First of all 100 Series boards do not need Emulated NVRAM anymore since AptioMemoryFix and OsxAptioFixv3, second MultiBeast is bad since it uses a universal config for Clover that tries to be good for all motherboards which is bad. Here is a EFI folder I made for your system. Replace your whole EFI folder with this one and test. Should work.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    13.2 MB · Views: 168
Alright. I mounted my EFI. deleted the EFI folder in there, and copied the one you had supplied. Rebooted.

First boot had a Christmas theme for Clover. Interesting. Rebooted on startup at 2/3 progress bar.
Second boot had a gargoyle theme for Clover. Took about 10 mins and the progress bar got stuck at 99%. So I rebooted in Verbose mode and I got a list of errors.

Kextdstall(0), (60s): ‘AppleAPCICPU’, + 'NVDAgt' + more (see picture)

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
Alright. I mounted my EFI. deleted the EFI folder in there, and copied the one you had supplied. Rebooted.
First boot had a Christmas theme for Clover. Interesting. Rebooted on startup at 2/3 progress bar.
Second boot had a gargoyle theme for Clover. Took about 10 mins and the progress bar got stuck at 99%. So I rebooted in Verbose mode and I got a list of errors.
Kextdstall(0), (60s): ‘AppleAPCICPU’, + 'NVDAgt' + more (see picture)
The themes get randomized when no theme is put in manually, you can fix that after getting it booted. Is this error output from a installer or from your already installed HS? If its from your already installed HS I suspect you might have things installed you don't need. IO would suggest doing a fresh install. Use the EFI and put it on your installer just like you did on your SSD. Also make sure you Load Optimizes BIOs settings and disable on board GPU in BIOS. Enable everything in the USB section. I would also suggest upgrading your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already.

Okay I've made those changes. I also have a section in my BIOS that says "Boot mode select" with options of "UEFI" or "LEGACY+UEFI". Currently it's set to "LEGACY+UEFI". I also run Windows 10 on this machine, but I'm pretty sure it's not running under any Legacy settings. So I could probably change this to "UEFI" only, correct?

The themes get randomized when no theme is put in manually, you can fix that after getting it booted. Is this error output from a installer or from your already installed HS? If its from your already installed HS I suspect you might have things installed you don't need. IO would suggest doing a fresh install. Use the EFI and put it on your installer just like you did on your SSD. Also make sure you Load Optimizes BIOs settings and disable on board GPU in BIOS. Enable everything in the USB section. I would also suggest upgrading your BIOS to the latest version if you haven't already.

You sir, you have helped me. I just installed the nVidia drivers and rebooted. Everything looks good now! It's reading my graphics card as supposed to. I really appreciate your help. Now I just need to figure out how to install the proper audio drivers for my motherboard and get those working. Currently I'm having the audio come out of my monitor, which is fine for now.

Also, if anyone else is reading this thread, is it possible to use multiple screens? I have a 3-monitor setup and didn't know if there were special nvidia drivers I needed to download to enable use of additional monitors via my Geforce GTX 970 SSC graphics card.

You sir, you have helped me. I just installed the nVidia drivers and rebooted. Everything looks good now! It's reading my graphics card as supposed to. I really appreciate your help. Now I just need to figure out how to install the proper audio drivers for my motherboard and get those working. Currently I'm having the audio come out of my monitor, which is fine for now.
Your motherboard has ALC1150 audio codec, the EFI folder I gave you already has the correct kext for it, the Clover config might have the wrong layout-id though, all you have to do is use Clover Configurator to change the audio layout-id, there is a few of them that you need to try. Layout 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11. You can only use one layout-id at a time. Change it save and reboot to test. Rinse and repeat until it works. You would change that option under the Devices section in the Clover config. like below:
JkudAZp.png

Your motherboard has ALC1150 audio codec, the EFI folder I gave you already has the correct kext for it, the Clover config might have the wrong layout-id though, all you have to do is use Clover Configurator to change the audio layout-id, there is a few of them that you need to try. Layout 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11. You can only use one layout-id at a time. Change it save and reboot to test. Rinse and repeat until it works. You would change that option under the Devices section in the Clover config. like below:
Brock, I downloaded the Clover Configurator and found out that the EFI folder that you gave me never actually got set in my EFI partition. So I just copied the files over, rebooted, and everything actually works perfectly now. I was booting from the USB earlier because it wouldn't let me boot directly from the HDD. And now we know why! Hey man I genuinely appreciate your help. There needs to be more guys like you around. Thanks a lot!

No problem glad everything worked out for you.

No problem glad everything worked out for you.
I was also having issues with my 3-monitor setup. I just swapped out one HDMI cable and then all 3 monitors popped on. Heck yeah. Thanks again bro. I really appreciate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back