Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Sierra USB 3.0 External Hard Drive issue - Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z170N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okey.. I'm starting to think my issues with USB 3.1 Type C have to do with the adaptor I'm using.. :(

Yes, I do have SSDT files. I have some of these in iCloud so I can upload them for you now.
The SSDT is for my processor, the 6700K, the SSDT-1 is for USB that has been customized for my specific ports, courtesy of VioletDragon and him pointing me to RehabMan's guide. The 4352 is for wifi. I've made some changes to my config since I last uploaded it, but I'll have to double check to make sure my 3.1 port and USB C actually still work after I made all these changes. I'll double check and upload the pictures of my IOReg with a USB C device mounted once I get off work. I don't have a USB C hard drive sadly. It seems that the USB C port is not capable of thunderbolt, and I think that's because of Gigabyte. From what I understand the USB C port just acts like a USB 3.1 port. Also I'm using the iMac 17,1 definition with Sierra. No idea if that makes any difference or not, but my USB C port did not work in El Capitan when I was using the iMac 14,2 definition.

Attachments

• SSDT-1.aml
    697 bytes · Views: 230
  • SSDT.aml
    2.2 KB · Views: 213
  • SSDT-ARPT-RP06-4352.aml
    139 bytes · Views: 170
Yes, I do have SSDT files. I have some of these in iCloud so I can upload them for you now.
The SSDT is for my processor, the 6700K, the SSDT-1 is for USB that has been customized for my specific ports, courtesy of VioletDragon and him pointing me to RehabMan's guide. The 4352 is for wifi. I've made some changes to my config since I last uploaded it, but I'll have to double check to make sure my 3.1 port and USB C actually still work after I made all these changes. I'll double check and upload the pictures of my IOReg with a USB C device mounted once I get off work. I don't have a USB C hard drive sadly. It seems that the USB C port is not capable of thunderbolt, and I think that's because of Gigabyte. From what I understand the USB C port just acts like a USB 3.1 port. Also I'm using the iMac 17,1 definition with Sierra. No idea if that makes any difference or not, but my USB C port did not work in El Capitan when I was using the iMac 14,2 definition.

Yes, not getting Thunderbolt certification/support has to do with Gigabyte decisions. Right now I have the Type A working, but Type C only working with USB 2.0 devices.. that's why I said I think my adaptor dongle has something to do. Or maybe not. Once you check wether your USB 3.1 Type C is working or not, let us know! Even with a USB 3.0 device is ok. In the meantime I'm gonna try your files, let's see if they work with my system! ;) Thanks a lot buddy!

Yes, not getting Thunderbolt certification/support has to do with Gigabyte decisions. Right now I have the Type A working, but Type C only working with USB 2.0 devices.. that's why I said I think my adaptor dongle has something to do. Or maybe not. Once you check wether your USB 3.1 Type C is working or not, let us know! Even with a USB 3.0 device is ok. In the meantime I'm gonna try your files, let's see if they work with my system! ;) Thanks a lot buddy!
Sorry it took me so long to get this to you... was working on the hardware of my computer these past few days.. I actually swapped out the motherboard for a Z170MX but it should still be relatively similar. Swapping out the motherboard and booting up macOS Sierra, everything worked exactly like it did on the Z170N. Here's my IOReg with the USB 3.1 Type C port being used by a capture card. I'm not quite sure if a USB C hard drive would work, so just take that into consideration.

Edit: It took me a while to actually find the 3.1 device in the reg, so I just manually search for "Intensity." The device is named Intensity Shuttle.

Attachments

• Jonathan’s iMac (with USB-C device).ioreg
    9.5 MB · Views: 231
Sorry it took me so long to get this to you... was working on the hardware of my computer these past few days.. I actually swapped out the motherboard for a Z170MX but it should still be relatively similar. Swapping out the motherboard and booting up macOS Sierra, everything worked exactly like it did on the Z170N. Here's my IOReg with the USB 3.1 Type C port being used by a capture card. I'm not quite sure if a USB C hard drive would work, so just take that into consideration.

Edit: It took me a while to actually find the 3.1 device in the reg, so I just manually search for "Intensity." The device is named Intensity Shuttle.

What kind of adapter you have to attach your devices to USB 3.1 Type C port? Which brand? I'm starting to think my dongle has something to do, cause USB 3.0 devices don't work, but USB 2.0 do work, and they mount/work, but they're not shown in the IOReg at the same port of yours! :( USB 3.1 Type A simply works with usb 3.0 devices but not type c one :(

What kind of adapter you have to attach your devices to USB 3.1 Type C port? Which brand? I'm starting to think my dongle has something to do, cause USB 3.0 devices don't work, but USB 2.0 do work, and they mount/work, but they're not shown in the IOReg at the same port of yours! :( USB 3.1 Type A simply works with usb 3.0 devices but not type c one :(
I don't use an adapter... I simply just purchased a dedicated USB Type C to Type B cable (Type B plugs into the device)

I don't use an adapter... I simply just purchased a dedicated USB Type C to Type B cable (Type B plugs into the device)
I don't have much time now, but if you leave your config and IOReg I can double check on some things for you when I get off work.

I don't have much time now, but if you leave your config and IOReg I can double check on some things for you when I get off work.

Thanks for your time buddy! Here:

USB31-TEST-A : USB 2.0 DEVICE (PENDRIVE) on USB 3.1 TYPE C PORT + USB 3.0 DEVICE (EXTERNAL HDD) on USB 3.1 TYPE A (RED) PORT

USB31-TEST-B: USB 3.0 DEVICE (EXTERNAL HDD) on USB 3.1 TYPE C PORT // IT DOESN'T MOUNT + USB 2.0 DEVICE (PENDRIVE) on USB 3.1 TYPE A (RED) PORT // IT MOUNTS.

Attachments

• Conrado’s iMac - USB31-TEST-B.ioreg
    19.3 MB · Views: 206
  • Conrado’s iMac - USB31-TEST-A.ioreg
    19.4 MB · Views: 184
Thanks for your time buddy! Here:

USB31-TEST-A : USB 2.0 DEVICE (PENDRIVE) on USB 3.1 TYPE C PORT + USB 3.0 DEVICE (EXTERNAL HDD) on USB 3.1 TYPE A (RED) PORT

USB31-TEST-B: USB 3.0 DEVICE (EXTERNAL HDD) on USB 3.1 TYPE C PORT // IT DOESN'T MOUNT + USB 2.0 DEVICE (PENDRIVE) on USB 3.1 TYPE A (RED) PORT // IT MOUNTS.

These seem to be corrupted... I can't open them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back