Contribute
Register

[Solved] Sierra upgrade: kernel panic at ATIRadeonX2000 (old hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

Let me just start by saying that I know my hardware is old - but I hope not too out-of-date to get Sierra running. I first started back with Snow Leopard, then upgraded to Mavericks a year or two ago, and now am trying to upgrade to Sierra (10.12.6).

Current hardware:
Motherboard: Gigabyte H55M-UD2H
CPU: Intel i5 750 @ 2.67 Ghz
Graphics: Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 4850 (512MB)

Last working OS version: Mavericks 10.9.5
Current OS version: Sierra 10.12.6

Problem description:
I installed Sierra on my Mavericks partition using the UniBeast legacy bootable Clover USB method. Installation went smoothly, but since then trying to boot results in a kernel panic while loading the ATIRadeonX2000 kext. See pic of boot screen below:
panic at ATI.JPG

I am able to boot using SafeMode (-x flag at Clover), however I cannot continue the configuration process since MultiBeast installations fail when in safe mode.

Things I have tried:
  1. Blocking the ATIRadeonX2000 kext using Clover (and the 'no cache' -f boot flag). This had no effect, and still crashed at ATIRadeonX2000. This makes me think that maybe I'm not blocking it correctly.
  2. Copying my patched DSDT file (which I used successfully in Mavericks with the UserBeast option in MultiBeast) to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched on my boot USB. This seemed to have no effect.
  3. Manually installing the QE_CI Exotic Patch for 10.12.6 (downloaded here) by replacing ATIRadeonX2000.kext and AMD4800Controller.kext in /S/L/E (and fixing permissions). I used to get kernel panics when doing Mavericks updates - and installing this patch is what usually fixed it. But this time it had absolutely no effect.
  4. InjectingATI with Clover and trying FakeID's 0x94401002 and 0x944a1002 (as suggested here). This does not prevent the panic. But it does help list my graphics card correctly in 'About This Mac' when booting in Safe Mode.
  5. Using the SMBIOS settings in Clover to change the product identifier to iMac10,1 (as suggested here). This does not prevent the panic, but does change the info in 'About This Mac'.
I have tried the above in a number of different combinations... But not sure I've tried all 2^5 possibilities...

Threads I've found discussing similar problems:

Sierra installed ok, but wont boot at all: kernel panic 0xffffff8007dfe39d (ATI HD 4850)
We have the same graphics card & exactly the same kernel panic. Not solved yet.

Can anyone shed some light on anything I am doing wrong, or suggest anything I haven't yet tried???

Thanks!!

After another day of trying different settings I have found that checking the "Load Video Bios" option in the Graphics Injector section of Clover allows the boot to get past the point where it used to have a kernel panic.

However, just as the boot tries to initialize the graphical OS my screen goes blank, and white block-like fragments appear all over my screen for a split second. After that the screen stays blank indefinitely - but my hard drive continues to work, making me think that OS is continuing to initialize in the background - I just can't see it happening...

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before?

SUCCESS!!

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.44.30 PM.png

I finally found the right combination of things - and now my computer boots into shiny new Sierra!
For anyone else who ever needs to get a ATi HD 4850 running here are the important settings:

- Installed QE_CI Exotics Patch from here

- Clover settings:
-- Check ACPI>DSDT Fix mask>Fix Display
-- Check Graphics>Inject ATI
-- Set Graphics>FakeID to 0x944a1002
-- Set Graphics>FBConfig to Motmot
-- Check Graphics>Load Video Bios

:)

SUCCESS!!

View attachment 276812

I finally found the right combination of things - and now my computer boots into shiny new Sierra!
For anyone else who ever needs to get a ATi HD 4850 running here are the important settings:

- Clover settings:

THHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAANK u SOOOO MUUUCH

Okay, please excuse a newb. While I know this site is for working with non-standard systems, I'm experiencing similar issues on my actual 27" Late 2009 iMac (3.06 Core 2 Duo). I have a Radeon HD 4670 (actually 4670M I believe). I had boot issues I have just now tracked down to the ATIRadeonX2000.kext, and removing that single file allows me to boot normally - however, the system runs slowly, there are some graphic artifacts, games run at 1FPS, etc.

Could you explain in more detail what the changes you made affected, and is it possible for me to make these adjustments on a standard system to get my system back up and running normally (or closer to normal)?

SUCCESS!!

View attachment 276812

- Clover settings:

I wouldn't mess with ATIRadeonX2000, and I wouldn't download that patch as it is meant for 48xx cards.
try to look here for some file beginning with 46 which could fit your GPU

Okay, please excuse a newb. While I know this site is for working with non-standard systems, I'm experiencing similar issues on my actual 27" Late 2009 iMac (3.06 Core 2 Duo). I have a Radeon HD 4670 (actually 4670M I believe). I had boot issues I have just now tracked down to the ATIRadeonX2000.kext, and removing that single file allows me to boot normally - however, the system runs slowly, there are some graphic artifacts, games run at 1FPS, etc.

Could you explain in more detail what the changes you made affected, and is it possible for me to make these adjustments on a standard system to get my system back up and running normally (or closer to normal)?

The newest file I found there for the 4670m was from 2012 (and, I believe, Lion?). Not being very experienced in poking at the innards here, I don't know how to tell if something would be reliably safe to use, or if I'm perhaps missing a more general patch for more modern versions of the OS?

I wouldn't mess with ATIRadeonX2000, and I wouldn't download that patch as it is meant for 48xx cards.
try to look here for some file beginning with 46 which could fit your GPU

I think there is no other site you can find a newer patch for the 4670m.
If you're eager to know more you can dig into insanelymac as if something has been done it has to be there.
I can tell you that the patch you were using is useless for you since it would work only for 48xx cards (it's me who uploaded last versions after I understood how fantomas did that).

The newest file I found there for the 4670m was from 2012 (and, I believe, Lion?). Not being very experienced in poking at the innards here, I don't know how to tell if something would be reliably safe to use, or if I'm perhaps missing a more general patch for more modern versions of the OS?

Thank you! I was going insane until I Googled the problem and found your help.

SUCCESS!!

View attachment 276812

- Clover settings:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back