ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270 LGA1151
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700K Kaby Lake Quad Core 4.2GHz
Graphics
ASUS ROG Geforce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hello,

I first must apologize to anyone who reads this as I offer full disclosure and admit that I am in no way literate in computer coding or computer building as many of you are. I am just starting to dive into building computers and after successfully building a PC a few years ago (and with my Macbook Pro having just died and my 2008 Mac Pro being on the fritz) I wanted to test out making a Tony 86 build. So, I sincerely apologize if my knowledge on most of these subjects is embarrassingly low and I ask stupid questions that many of you may feel are wasting their times even reading. I have made some progress and ran into a roadblock. After spending 4 days on the forums scouring information (and Googling a lot of words/processes that I had no clue what they meant) and two different OS Builds (first El Capitan and now Sierra) I didn't know who else to come to, but the community that seems to be magicians when it comes to making Apple OS work on almost any machine. Thank you for your time and I will stop my self loathing and begin with the information actually relevant.

I am attempting to install Sierra on a Mac Pro Customac build. My hardware is:

• MOBO: ASUS ROG ATX Maximus IX Hero
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad Core 4.2 GHz
  • GPU: ASUS ROG Geforce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB
  • Memory: (2) Ballistic Sport LT 16 GB DDR4 2666
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
This was a completely fresh install. After some failed attempts at installing El Capitan because of Post Installation failed booting, I looked around the forums more and discovered my GPU had a better chance of being fully utilized in Sierra. So I began that installation according to the official guide and it was promising at first.

I have made the BIOS changes I believe that are required:
  1. Loaded Optimized Settings
  2. Disabled VT-d
  3. Disabled CFG Lock
  4. Disabled Secure Boot Mode
  5. Set OS type to "Other"
  6. Enabled XHCI Handoff
I used Unibeast to setup the installer on a 16GB USB2.0 flash drive and I had attempted two installations that would seemingly end approximately when the status bar seemed to be around 95% complete. It seemed the signal input would cut out and I would wait approximately 30 - 60 seconds and then hard boot down and try the installation again through USB. The next day I attempted a third time and it worked without having changed anything (which leads me to believe I was too impatient and didn't allow the installation to properly continue).

With the Operating System up and running, I used Multibeast to setup the Post Installation settings. These are the settings I used:
MultiBeast Configuration.png

At this point I DID NOT have my GPU physically installed. I was using my television and an HDMI port on the motherboard to view all images. I restarted the machine to make sure it would boot properly into the OS and it did. So I proceeded to install the latest NVIDIA Web driver package for Mac (listed in this forum https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...for-macos-sierra-10-12-6-378-05-05-25.227494/) as well as the Clover Configuration package for more advanced changes. I powered down, installed my GPU, then booted back up.

When I attempted to boot back into the OS using the default settings and my Mulitbeast applied options (without any Arguments, special mode configurations in Clover Options) the progress bar would get a little past half and then I believe a kernel panic occurred with some debugging log appearing on my screen. After a few seconds the screen would go black and the machine would restart. It resembled this person's issue (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/reboot-loop-after-multibeast-sierra-10-12.210834/) and this is an image from my screen at the time of panic:
Reboot Error Screen.jpg

I then attempted to boot using a Debug Boot Flag and this was a more clear image I received:
Debug Panic Screen.jpg

I'm honestly not entirely sure what this error means or what this code is referring to (see above my lack of knowledge). It looks similar to what the user daniel51a was having in the link I posted before, but I'm really not sure what is causing it. I can say that I AM able to boot into the OS using Safe Mode (which is how I got the screen shots from MultiBeast) and I am now using the HDMI port on my GTX for my video output signal to my television.

I believe my BIOS is already set for 64M integrated memory as the last solution in that thread was suggested (I didn't really see an option in my BIOS for it after searching for quite some time), but I could be very wrong.

Thank you ahead of time for your patience with me on this matter and I greatly appreciate you even taking to the time to hear out my issue. I apologize if this has been taken care of and I'm missing something very simple. Be well and if anyone would be willing to lend a suggestion I would be most appreciative.

I can provide my config.plst file as well if that would help.

MultiBeast said:
*Please Note:
The FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext in FakeSMC Plugins v6.25-333-g05e0f4be.1759 is NOT compatible with NVIDIA Pascal graphics cards. If you do not delete it from /Library/Extensions your system will kernel panic on boot.
Boot in safe mode and remove the offending kext.

On the subject of kext removal, you should not need the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext either.

P1LGRIM thank you so very much! This worked like a charm and stopped my kernel panic. Moving on to more configuration, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back