Motherboard
Asus P8Z77 -V LK
CPU
Intel - Xeon E3-1230 V2 3.3GHz
Graphics
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Mac
  1. iMac
I haven't been able to find evidence of this anywhere else, but the Sierra update seems to have brought on some slight issues with the 280X graphics card. It worked like a dream in El Capitan.

I primarily use it for OpenCL rendering performance with Final Cut and a few others. Ever since the upgrade, the PC will occasionally freeze on a blank screen (I've seen white, black or grey at different times) seemingly when having to do (previously capable) high-performance video tasks. I can't even get anything to fully render without failing anymore.

Has anyone else run into this or have ideas on how to fix it?

From what I've read there's not much that can be done in terms of Radeon drivers, only spoofing. But so far the 280x hasn't needed any of that. So weird.

Sounds more like a hardware issue (e.g. improper power supply or failing GPU) to me. Can you verify in a different OS that the issue doesn't occure when pushing it (e.g. FurMark, Unigine or something else).

You might be exactly right @Fl0r!an , I'll have to check up on that. It's just weird that it's used every day for editing and rendering, but it just started happening immediately after the Sierra update (finally upgraded 2 days ago). Good call though on testing it, I'll try it out. Thanks!

Hey Forby,

Did you ever find a solution with your R9 280s in Sierra? I just built my first system and my cards won't work either.

I just ended up figuring this out the other day. Oddly enough it seems to be related to the Color Finale Pro plugin for Final Cut. Even just having it open in the background seemed to make the system unstable and it took a while to realize that was the common thread.

Since this is way more specific than I originally though, it may not be that useful to you @makemehotp. What issues are you having? Do they not work at all, or hit and miss?

I just ended up figuring this out the other day. Oddly enough it seems to be related to the Color Finale Pro plugin for Final Cut. Even just having it open in the background seemed to make the system unstable and it took a while to realize that was the common thread.

Since this is way more specific than I originally though, it may not be that useful to you @makemehotp. What issues are you having? Do they not work at all, or hit and miss?

It's not working at all. I installed Sierra and everything works fine w/ integrated graphics (other than having to power down from the login screen for some reason). I powered down, installed the cards and then the cpu wouldn't even boot. How did you get your cards to install with Sierra?

It's not working at all. I installed Sierra and everything works fine w/ integrated graphics (other than having to power down from the login screen for some reason). I powered down, installed the cards and then the cpu wouldn't even boot. How did you get your cards to install with Sierra?
Which brand of card are you using? I do recall the first brand of 280x I tried having a similar difficulty.

Which brand of card are you using? I do recall the first brand of 280x I tried having a similar difficulty.
I'm using XFX R9 280 (non X model)

I'm using XFX R9 280 (non X model)
Ah, been there :rolleyes:, I started with an XFX 280x and could never get it to post. Switched it out with a Gigabyte r9 280x and it worked immediately. I hadn't found anything on here about the XFX not working, or how to get it working, but moving to a Gigabyte card was the answer for me. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back