Motherboard
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
On my Skylake build (Gigabyte H170N-WIFI | i3-6300 | Asus Strix OC GeForce GTX 750 Ti) I have a working installation of El Capitan. To solve a different problem, I updated the UEFI to f21. After the update, I needed to change some UEFI settings to get it to boot. Then I changed the system definition to iMac 14,2 from MacPro 3,1 using Unibeast. This sent me back to the UEFI for more setting changes, but the result was a well working El Capitan installation.

Now I am having trouble getting the Sierra installer to finish. I tried multiple additional UEFI settings, and I can't get the Sierra installer to finish. El Capitan is still on the system and is functioning well.

I tried to use the advice in this thread:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/solved-sierra-installer-hangs-while-starting.221965/

but nothing has worked so far. I still think it has something to do with the UEFI settings, but I have not found the answer yet. Any help will be appreciated. If have attached a photo of the latest attempt in verbose mode.

IMG_0110-2.jpg IMG_0111-2.jpg IMG_0112-2.jpg

Edit 2017-07-04: I have attached my Clover Config plist. Perhaps something there is interfering with the installer.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Bump for edit. I may try to do an install with a USB stick, or even a completely clean install later this week.
You have Nvidia graphics so why are you injecting Intel with an Intel ig-platform-id in your config.plist ?
You need to boot with nv_disable=1 until you have installed the OS and the web drivers.

Try with this edited config.plist

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.3 KB · Views: 155
You have Nvidia graphics so why are you injecting Intel with an Intel ig-platform-id in your config.plist ?
You need to boot with nv_disable=1 until you have installed the OS and the web drivers.

Try with this edited config.plist

Thanks for the response P1LGRIM, I tried that, but the answer was simpler and entirely my fault. After several unsuccessful attempts today (I have been busy and this is the first chance I have had to resolve this), I went back to the beginning and re-studied the procedure. Sure enough, in my haste, I had not done the following before trying to update:

Copy FakeSMC.kext and any other extra necessary kexts to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/

After I did this I was able to update easily with my original config.plist file intact. With this particular graphics card, I did not even need to disable the Nvidia graphics drivers. The system just defaults to a driver that does not work well, but shows the screen well enough to update and install the new version of the Nvidia web drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back