Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V
CPU
Intel Core - i7 3770
Graphics
NVIDIA
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hey People :)

I am trying to update my Mavericks Computer to Sierra. So I created a Boot-Stick with Sierra on it, everything's fine with the installation and booting-from-stick so far, but then, it doesn't find any drives who are connected to the Motherboard.

I have 3 SSD and one HDD connected and the installation Programm only finds the "boot" stick.

I have an Gigabyte GA B75M - d3v Motherboard and intel core i7 3770.

Hope someone can help me :)

Greets
T

P.S. Sorry for bad english :D

@TylerTaste, please update your profile (personal details) with your build (Motherboard or Model, CPU and Graphics Card).
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

I am trying to update my Mavericks Computer to Sierra. So I created a Boot-Stick with Sierra on it, everything's fine with the installation and booting-from-stick so far, but then, it doesn't find any drives who are connected to the Motherboard.

I have 3 SSD and one HDD connected and the installation Programm only finds the "boot" stick.

Greets
T

If you have already connected the SSD and HDD to SATA ports using working data cables firmly and securely and each disk has its own SATA Power connector firmly and securely inserted, then you might have omitted to Enable SATA controllers in AHCI Mode in the BIOS Setup. Check your BIOS setup>Peripherals and make sure the SATA controllers are Enabled [default is Enabled] but pay SPECIAL attention to SATA MODE as AHCI ENABLED NOT IDE mode Enabled. Then Make sure your disks are all listed under:"Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities"

I suggest that it is better for you to disconnect ( either Power or data cable) of all the disks EXCEPT the target disk for Sierra installation to reduce the chance of partitioning and formatting the wrong disk in Sierra Disk Utility screen.
If you have no problems in the Motherboard connections or in the BIOS setup, then your Sierra USB installer may be lacking some files to recognize AHCI mode devices and needs to be created again.
P.S.

Please update your Profile as advised by Moderator BreBo

Last edited:

Greets
T

I had the same problem. Format disk via Mac Utilities (using Finder for it) like a usb disk in guide, and it should be visible

If you have already connected the SSD and HDD to SATA ports using working data cables firmly and securely and each disk has its own SATA Power connector firmly and securely inserted, then you might have omitted to Enable SATA controllers in AHCI Mode in the BIOS Setup. Check your BIOS setup>Peripherals and make sure the SATA controllers are Enabled [default is Enabled] but pay SPECIAL attention to SATA MODE as AHCI ENABLED NOT IDE mode Enabled. Then Make sure your disks are all listed under:"Hard Drive/CD/DVD ROM Drive/Floppy Drive/Network Device BBS Priorities"

I suggest that it is better for you to disconnect ( either Power or data cable) of all the disks EXCEPT the target disk for Sierra installation to reduce the chance of partitioning and formatting the wrong disk in Sierra Disk Utility screen.
If you have no problems in the Motherboard connections or in the BIOS setup, then your Sierra USB installer may be lacking some files to recognize AHCI mode devices and need to be created again.
P.S.

Please update your Profile as advised by Moderator BreBo

Thank you very much :D Actually the problem was the Bios setting SATA MODE was on IDE :)
Now everything is working and i can update. Thanks again :)

I had the same problem. Format disk via Mac Utilities (using Finder for it) like a usb disk in guide, and it should be visible

Thank you :) I Already formatted the drive upfront so that wasnt the problem but thank you anyway for your help :)

Thank you very much :D Actually the problem was the Bios setting SATA MODE was on IDE :)
Now everything is working and i can update. Thanks again :)
Thank you for your feed back. Glad you succeeded in your update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back