Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Sierra HiDPI scaling issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
motherboard OR system make & model # > See Rules!
CPU
i7-6700T
Graphics
HD 530
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys,

I recently build a hackintosh with the following specs:

Intel Core i7-6700T (so HD530)
ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
Noctua NH-L9i
Crucial CT2K8G4DFD8213
Mini-box picoPSU 120
Intel 600p 512GB
Azurewave AW-CE123H

I use a 4K monitor: Dell P2415Q

I installed Sierra on it and applied patches, so now I have everything working, except for one thing: I cannot get HiDPI to work for resolutions above FullHD (1920x1080). I can use native 3840x2160, but that is too small for me, and 1080p HiDPI, but that is too large. So I would like to add like 2304x1296 with HiDPI, but I can't get that to work.

I have been able to manually add resolutions using SwitchResX, as well as using a custom config file from this generator: https://comsysto.github.io/Display-...or-with-HiDPI-Support-For-Scaled-Resolutions/
So I have successfully added 1792x1008 HiDPI and 2304x1296 (low resolution), but not 2304x1296 (HiDPI).

I also connected my monitor to a late 2015 iMac 21.5 inch using displayport (monitor) to mini-displayport (iMac), and HiDPI above FullHD worked just fine without any modifications at all. Maybe it would work on my hackintosh as well if I connected it using mini-displayport, however its motherboard does not have that connection. Perhaps I could try a displayport to usb C adapter to make it work?

I tried everything I could find but I can't get it working, so help is greatly appreciated. Attached is my display config file that should in theory work (I think).

Attachments

• DisplayProductID-a0be.plist
    498 bytes · Views: 411
With Intel HD 530 I have the same problem. But tomorrow I am hoping to fix it applying CoreDisplay patch.

You might try to apply the CoreDisplay patch, reboot, and then follow the guide to add custom HiDPI resolution.

https://github.com/Floris497/mac-pixel-clock-patch-V2/blob/master/CoreDisplay-patcher.command

Let me know if you fix. I couldn't find anything in all Internet, but I came up with this idea few minutes ago.

I think I already applied this patch and it didnt change anything, but Ill try it again soon.

I don't think anyone has been able to create internal resolutions beyond 4K with HD 530 so far, so there might be technical limitations.

I thought the same. But I think that the new MacBook with Intel HD 530 is capable of HiDPI resolution higher than 1080p.

Maybe you can change your monitor Id with one of the supported 4k one, like the Dell UP2414Q
I think these are the two best bet. If they don't work, I am sorry, we just need a discrete gpu

The 13" MBP has Iris 540/550 graphics, so it might not be the same thing...
The 15" MBP uses the HD 530, but I'm quite sure that it'll use the Radeon dGPU as soon as you attach an external display.

Yes I think you're right. It's a little problem that make me impossible to use Mac OS. And I didn't see it coming when building my hack
So I am stuck with Windows and GTX 1060.

Luckily months ago was only my problem, now 4k is becoming cheaper and more people have this issue. I hope for some of a fix. I don't know how tho

Great news guys!! Ive got it to work!!! I changed the ig-platform-id from 0x19120000 to 0x19260002 and I can use HiDPI on resolutions higher than FullHD.

Weird thing is, that 0x19260002 maps to Iris 540 according to Piker's list. But when I look at "About this Mac" my graphics card is still correctly detected as HD530.

I havent done any other testing so I dont know if this causes other bugs, but Im happy :mrgreen:

I was looking into this too but setting 0x19260002 makes the system reboot at about 1/4 of loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back