Motherboard
LENOVO IdeaPad S340-14IWL
CPU
i5 8265U
Graphics
UHD 620
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi. I have Samsung NP550 model laptop. In fact, I was using hackintosh without this problem but I couldn't remember how I did it then.
I have Intel HD4000 graphics with 1600x900 screen.
I learnt how to patch DSDT file while trying to solve this problem.
Here's what I did so far:
- Tried various IntelCapri kexts with proper (0x01660004) ig-platform-id
- Tried other platform id's, such as ...09, 03, 0A, 08
- Tried DSDT patch with HD4000_high_resolution
But no luck.
In fact, when I use 0x01660004 platform id with inject_intel, I can see that VRAM problem was gone but I get strange distorted screen, like very old TVs. Screen is full of vertical stripes. I'll add a picture below.

And there's this guy, who is using the same laptop with me, says he solved the problem via patching some kext file but I couldn't understand how he did what. Perhaps that could be a lead to solve this issue of mine.
Thanks in advance.
8RBcXy.png

Last edited:
Hi. I have Samsung NP550 model laptop. In fact, I was using hackintosh without this problem but I couldn't remember how I did it then.
I have Intel HD4000 graphics with 1600x900 screen.
I learnt how to patch DSDT file while trying to solve this problem.
Here's what I did so far:
- Tried various IntelCapri kexts with proper (0x01660004) ig-platform-id
- Tried other platform id's, such as ...09, 03, 0A, 08
- Tried DSDT patch with HD4000_high_resolution
But no luck.
In fact, when I use 0x01660004 platform id with inject_intel, I can see that VRAM problem was gone but I get strange distorted screen, like very old TVs. Screen is full of vertical stripes. I'll add a picture below.

And there's this guy, who is using the same laptop with me, says he solved the problem via patching some kext file but I couldn't understand how he did what. Perhaps that could be a lead to solve this issue of mine.
Thanks in advance.
8RBcXy.png

You can do that patch with config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch:

Find: 09 00 66 01 01 03 03 03 00 00 00 04
Replace: 0A 00 66 01 01 03 02 02 00 00 00 04
Name: AppleIntelFramebufferCapri

Sorry about my lack of knowledge but I really don't know how to do it exactly. I tried to add it with PlistEdit Pro like this:
oUPNV3.png

Is this OK?

Sorry about my lack of knowledge but I really don't know how to do it exactly. I tried to add it with PlistEdit Pro like this:
oUPNV3.png

Is this OK?

Looks ok.

I think the patch is nonsense though (not a good idea, IMHO, to replace the ig-platform-id from 0x01660009 to 0x0166000a).
It might cause panic due to duplicate 0x0166000a ids in the platform table.
Or it might work since 0x01660009 will be replaced by the 0x0166000a replace data (assuming config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x0166000a).

But I would think using ig-platform-id 0x01660009 and this patch would make more sense:
Find: 09 00 66 01 01 03 03 03 00 00 00 04
Replace: 09 00 66 01 01 03 02 02 00 00 00 04

Well, as you said, that patch did not work at all. It was the same problem again: VRAM vas OK, 2048 MB but the screen was distorted again.
I'll try to do your suggestion, see if it will work.

Edit: This time screen went completely dark, let's say off, after the flowing codes, right before the login screen. I used 0x01660009 as ig-platform-id and did the patch you suggested.

Last edited:
Any suggestions? I'm stuck really.
@alaga, you had the same issue, I read your post. Can you help me on this?

Last edited:
Well, as you said, that patch did not work at all. It was the same problem again: VRAM vas OK, 2048 MB but the screen was distorted again.
I'll try to do your suggestion, see if it will work.

Edit: This time screen went completely dark, let's say off, after the flowing codes, right before the login screen. I used 0x01660009 as ig-platform-id and did the patch you suggested.

Any suggestions? I'm stuck really.
@alaga, you had the same issue, I read your post. Can you help me on this?

Did you check in Windows to see if your display is eDP?
eDP is not well supported by the HD4000 drivers.
It is a common problem with Samsung laptops such as yours.

First of all, the problem has been solved. But the thing is, I really don't know how I managed it.
As @alaga said, I assigned 0x0166000A as ig-platform-id, and it worked. But I did this before and screen had went off completely. I don't know how it worked this time?
There are some changes that I made during this course though:
- I have changed AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext, which I knew that it was patched for HD4000 issues. I deleted it and installed the original back.
- I saw some posts about installing FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext and FakePCIID.kext, so they are in /L/E too, I don't know if they have anything about the fix though. I'm keeping them for good.
- Also I saw some posts about installing IntelGraphicsFixup.kext file. I did install it too. And I don't know if this has anything about the fix too. So I'm keeping it.
What I request from you is that can you help me find the exact problem so anyone who has the same laptop can have a solid solution.
This is how it looks now, graphics acceleration is OK, all effects run flawlessly. Boot-up time enhanced too.
ikKdUa.png

First of all, the problem has been solved. But the thing is, I really don't know how I managed it.
As @alaga said, I assigned 0x0166000A as ig-platform-id, and it worked. But I did this before and screen had went off completely. I don't know how it worked this time?
There are some changes that I made during this course though:
- I have changed AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext, which I knew that it was patched for HD4000 issues. I deleted it and installed the original back.
- I saw some posts about installing FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext and FakePCIID.kext, so they are in /L/E too, I don't know if they have anything about the fix though. I'm keeping them for good.
- Also I saw some posts about installing IntelGraphicsFixup.kext file. I did install it too. And I don't know if this has anything about the fix too. So I'm keeping it.
What I request from you is that can you help me find the exact problem so anyone who has the same laptop can have a solid solution.
This is how it looks now, graphics acceleration is OK, all effects run flawlessly. Boot-up time enhanced too.
ikKdUa.png

There is nothing in FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics.kext for HD4000. You can remove it.

Removed both of them, all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back