Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Shutdown / Restart takes too long (Clover / 10.10.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Z97I AC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 960
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] Shutdown / Restart freezes computer in "on" state (Clover / 10.10.5)

Sleep works instantly, shutdown and restart do not. I've tried rm -r'ing my ~/Library/Caches and resetting my firmware (bios) to factory defaults. I've tried to shutdown from the gui and the command line (shutdown -h && reboot). I've used the -v flag while booting and when shutting down, the last line I see is trying to unmount my secondary hard drive (formatted as HFS+J), I tried distkutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1 (secondary disk) before shutdown, and that didn't work.

Any suggestions?

Shutdown / Restart takes too long (Clover / 10.10.5)

Here's the output of diskutil list

Code:
[FONT=Monaco]/dev/disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIE[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *240.1 GB   disk0[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   2:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                179.2 GB   disk0s2[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   4:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk0s4[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   5:       Microsoft Basic Data                         59.9 GB    disk0s5[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]/dev/disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIE[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *2.0 TB     disk1[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1[/FONT]
[FONT=Monaco]   2:                  Apple_HFS Poseidon                2.0 TB     disk1s2[/FONT]

/dev/disk0 is my primary drive, it dual boots windows 7 and 10.10.5. /dev/disk1 is my 2TB extra drive, there are symlinks from /dev/disk1 to /dev/disk0

Sleep works instantly, shutdown and restart do not. I've tried rm -r'ing my ~/Library/Caches and resetting my firmware (bios) to factory defaults. I've tried to shutdown from the gui and the command line (shutdown -h && reboot). I've used the -v flag while booting and when shutting down, the last line I see is trying to unmount my secondary hard drive (formatted as HFS+J), I tried distkutil unmountDisk /dev/disk1 (secondary disk) before shutdown, and that didn't work.

Any suggestions?

The idea that shutdown and restart should happen with the same speed as sleep/wake is not a valid expectation.

The idea that shutdown and restart should happen with the same speed as sleep/wake is not a valid expectation.

The fact that it's been over an hour and my machine still hasn't shut down is a valid exception. A few minutes would be reasonable, 20 minutes is not. Restart/shutdown should only take about 30-60s at most.

EDIT: I'm pretty proficient in *nix and have a professional degree in CS, not my first rodeo with computer issues

The fact that it's been over an hour and my machine still hasn't shut down is a valid exception. A few minutes would be reasonable, 20 minutes is not. Restart/shutdown should only take about 30-60s at most.

EDIT: I'm pretty proficient in *nix and have a professional degree in CS, not my first rodeo with computer issues

My point was your OP contained no information on exactly what you meant by "too long"...

Thanks for the clarification.

But in order to offer any advice, additional information about how your system is configured will be necessary.

Note: If you suspect a certain device to be the cause of the issue, remove the device and test.

I've recently made 2 additions. The first is another SATA drive, the second was swapping out my mini-pcie wireless card. I guess i'll test removing each of them and report back

Hardware: MSI z97i AC (not the gaming version), i7 4790k, evga gtx 960 sc, intel ssd, WD hdd, AzureWave Broadcom BCM94352HMB, 16gb corsair vengeance pro

Copy of my config.plist, I'm using a MacPro 3,1 System

Installed Kexts: FakeSMC, RealtekRTL8111, audio_RealtekALC, EAPD-Codec-Commander (system worked properly with previous kexts), and wireless_half-mini (this one is the culprit I'm thinking).

I have all my kexts backed up, in addition to my entire /S/L/E directory

EDIT: I've tested removing both components one at a time, and the problem persists. In the case of the wireless card, I swapped it out with the one that originally came w/ the Z97i AC mobo, the original wireless card was working successfully when restarting / shutting down. I've also tested on the windows partition, and these behavior seem to be working correctly there, so it's only a problem w/ the 10.10.5 OS.

EDIT 2: I've tried using the https://github.com/toleda/wireless_half-mini patch to make my new BCM94352HMB work correctly, however this doesn't work for me. I'm fairly sure that the restart/shutdown problem started occurring around the same time that I tried applying this patch.

EDIT 3: I've tried removing all USB peripherals (except mouse/keyboard as these worked correctly) and additionally removing the attached ethernet cable.

EDIT 4: I've tried looking for the USB 3 kext that people seem to have trouble with, however it's not installed on this system.

EDIT 5: I have a tarball of my entire /S/L/E directory. I've tried rm -r'ing the entire directory, and extracting the old kexts in-place.

EDIT 6: I'm reading through
wireless_bcm94352-100-v3.0b.command from the wireless_half-mini repo on github to see if I can manually reverse the patch. It initially seems like only the two kexts (IOBluethoothFamily, and IO80211Family.kext) were modified. I've tried re-installing my backed up versions of these kexts to no avail.

[SOLVED] Shutdown / Restart freezes machine (Clover / 10.10.5)

Solved the problem, turns out that the VirtualBox application was the culprit. After ruling out all of the installed kexts, I went back to the 2 components that had changed since originally creating the hackintosh. Reinstalling the original mini-PCIe card ruled out the card being the problem, and it seemed that unplugging my secondary HDD sata cable should have eliminated my secondary drive as well... however

After widening my search to include OSX restart / shutdown problems I noticed a few threads relating to shutdown problems in Mavericks being caused by VBox. It seems like there's some kind of boot hook that VBox uses to clean up after itself.

In case anyone else runs into similar issues here's the steps that got me into this mess and the fix

Repro Steps

1. Install OSX 10.10.5 on a single drive
  2. Install virtualbox on the drive from step 1
  3. Add additional SATA drive
  4. Format drive from step 3 in HFS+ and use with OS from step 1
  5. shutdown/restart no longer work correctly (freezes computer)

Fix
Uninstall and re-install virtualbox

[SOLVED] Shutdown / Restart freezes machine (Clover / 10.10.5)

Solved the problem, turns out that the VirtualBox application was the culprit. After ruling out all of the installed kexts, I went back to the 2 components that had changed since originally creating the hackintosh. Reinstalling the original mini-PCIe card ruled out the card being the problem, and it seemed that unplugging my secondary HDD sata cable should have eliminated my secondary drive as well... however

After widening my search to include OSX restart / shutdown problems I noticed a few threads relating to shutdown problems in Mavericks being caused by VBox. It seems like there's some kind of boot hook that VBox uses to clean up after itself.

In case anyone else runs into similar issues here's the steps that got me into this mess and the fix

Repro Steps

1. Install OSX 10.10.5 on a single drive
  2. Install virtualbox on the drive from step 1
  3. Add additional SATA drive
  4. Format drive from step 3 in HFS+ and use with OS from step 1
  5. shutdown/restart no longer work correctly (freezes computer)

Fix
Uninstall and re-install virtualbox

Hi, I am having the same problem with the restart, however, I dont get anything from your solution explanation...

Are you reinstalling the entire OS? Because hack I won't do that...
And also you are saying to add an additional Sata drive!? what the hack is even that gonna do:)
Lastly the virtualbox? Is that an option can be seen on clover config?

Hope you can help, thnx!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back