Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] Screen flickering when enabling HDMI Audio, all methods tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H
CPU
i3-4330
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Now here is an odd one...

I had a perfectly working Hackintosh but then treated myself to a new 4K TV, it works perfectly in Windows but has flickering (slow) in macOS - it comes on for 1-2 seconds then goes off for 2-3 seconds.
I fancied a bit of a brush up on installing so I started afresh wit ha new SSD. All went well and it was a pretty painless install, USB's all work, BT works, Wifi, prob Ethernet although I haven't tried, and no screen flickering. The only problem is when I try to get HDMI Audio working the flickering comes back.

I used Toldedas auto detect script.
I undid it (swapped out EFI folder).
I used HDMI kext.
I undid it (deleted kext).
I used the simple HDMI guide and SSDT file
Again, removed the file I added.

Each time, as soon as HDMI audio was enabled the flickering came back, which I am aware makes little sense. Could it be anything to do with HDMI bandwidth?

Details:
Samsung 9 Series (Serif) 4K TV
Nvidia drivers

Last edited by a moderator:
Note:
On my previous 10.11 install when I booted with nv_disable=1 the flickering disappeared but the res was something awful (HDMI Audio was fine though).

Bought new HDMI cables to check if they are the issue, will update thread in case anyone else has the same problem if/when I solve it.

UPDATE: Somewhat embarrassingly, turns out it was the cable. I assume the original one was a lover grade/spec HDMI cable. Bought a decent "4K yada yada" spec one and no longer have the issue.

I had a suspicion it was something to do with bandwidth through the cable and looks like I was right and a simple hardware swap fixed the issue.

Thanks all, it's been emotional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back