Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I have noticed that the patch I used in Catalina to be able to hot plug SATA drives does not work in Big Sur. I mean this patch:
Name = com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort
Find = 40600200
Replace = 00000000
Comment = SATA hot plug

It happens to someone else? How can I solve that? Thank you.

Hello, I have noticed that the patch I used in Catalina to be able to hot plug SATA drives does not work in Big Sur. I mean this patch:
Find = 40600200
Replace = 00000000
Comment = SATA hot plug

My guess is that it is no longer able to patch the driver or something changed with the driver. Big Sur is has taken further steps to lock one out of the OS. The black screen patch also stopped working.

I think we will just have to wait to see if and when someone comes up with a solution.

If you need this functionality, then stay with Catalina or an older version. Big Sur is not yet officially released anyway.

Find = 40600200
Replace = 00000000
Comment = SATA hot plug

This hot plug patch still work correctly on Big Sur with Clover, but do not know why not work with OC boot loader.

This hot plug patch still work correctly on Big Sur with Clover, but do not know why not work with OC boot loader.
If that is the case then maybe someone can help with some kind of SSDT or kext, I am not someone that can help with that but I do know that the OC developers are against these type of patches. In most of the guides, they recommend not using hot patch renames.

@Jamesbond007 @shuhung @scottkendall
I've found a way to make this patch work again thanks to @esafeddie by pointing me in the right direction.
The patch appears to be valid as it was used on Catalina. With an important detail: the Count parameter must be 1 (not 0) in config.plist. OpenCore PDF says: "Count / Type: plist integer / Failsafe: 0 / Description: Number of patch occurrences to apply. 0 applies the patch to all occurrences found".

And the cause of the error was the use of different EFI folders for different system disks.

I have Catalina on one SSD and BS on another SSD, each with its own ESP partition and complete EFI folder. It appears that NVRAM keys from each system are accessible to the other systems. As soon as I have cleared NVRAM from BS OpenCore menu and rebooted, SATA hot plug works again!!!

This was the problem, swapping disks that read NVRAM that has been stored from another disk. Since I use SSDT-PMC, I have native NVRAM and it is no longer saved in the root of each system disk, as before, I think it's stored now in the Board CMOS (I guess it's in this place though I'm not sure but NVRAM values are available for systems other than the one that generated them).

Thank you very much to all for your help, problem solved.

Last edited:
@Jamesbond007 @shuhung @scottkendall
I've found a way to make this patch work again thanks to @esafeddie by pointing me in the right direction.
The patch appears to be valid as it was used on Catalina. With an important detail: the Count parameter must be 1 (not 0) in config.plist. OpenCore PDF says: "Count / Type: plist integer / Failsafe: 0 / Description: Number of patch occurrences to apply. 0 applies the patch to all occurrences found".

And the cause of the error was the use of different EFI folders for different system disks.

I have Catalina on one SSD and BS on another SSD, each with its own ESP partition and complete EFI folder. It appears that NVRAM keys from each system are accessible to the other systems. As soon as I have cleared NVRAM from BS OpenCore menu and rebooted, SATA hot plug works again!!!

This was the problem, swapping disks that read NVRAM that has been stored from another disk. Since I use SSDT-PMC, I have native NVRAM and it is no longer saved in the root of each system disk, as before, I think it's stored now in the Board CMOS (I guess it's in this place though I'm not sure but NVRAM values are available for systems other than the one that generated them).

Thank you very much to all for your help, problem solved.
Very happy you solved the Hot Plug problem, strange my post with possible fixes seems to be taken down or deleted, but of no consequence the important factor is all is well with your setup again.

I would like to make a correction and express my profound apology for wrongfully posting about a post being taken down or deleted pertaining possible fixes for a Hot Plugging problem in BS. The post I was referring to is on another site which I just found and realised my error (Old age is a ..tch). Naturally I needed to clarify my mistake, wrongful assumption and put the record straight.

I would like to make a correction and express my profound apology for wrongfully posting about a post being taken down or deleted pertaining possible fixes for a Hot Plugging problem in BS. The post I was referring to is on another site which I just found and realised my error (Old age is a ..tch). Naturally I needed to clarify my mistake, wrongful assumption and put the record straight.
Okay. You are forgiven :) This can happen to anyone. And you are not the only one who is having an "advanced" age.

Now seriously. I also assume my fault for naming you in this thread without thinking that here your message with the help did not exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back